• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Valley

After the next round observations

Head and side winds don't affect anything, but a tail wind will make your disc super understable (the opposite of reality).
Plastic and earth have a near 0 coefficient of friction, but leaves are near 5000000.
Chaos theory is prevalent in the valley

Highest player ratings ever documented (aka DGV Hall of Fame)

picture.php

If my back of the napkin math is correct, I think I will be right at 900 for the first time when the new ratings update hits. This made me curious to re-look at the all-time Top 25 list, just to see my relative proximity. Ouch. Still a looooooooooooong way to go.

If my back of the napkin math is correct, I think I will be right at 900 for the first time when the new ratings update hits. This made me curious to re-look at the all-time Top 25 list, just to see my relative proximity. Ouch. Still a looooooooooooong way to go.

There's 34 people in the 950 Club now.

There's 34 people in the 950 Club now.

Keep improving. 950 is really freaking hard to get and keep - there's too many MP layouts where 9-down is only good for a 910. I've hit 950+ four times, but only back-to-back "weeks" once

I had my best round ever last week at -11, including 3 straight eagles (is that a turkey eagle?). Was excited to get my first 1000+ round. But all I got for my efforts was 983. :)

PS--I did finally get a 1001 yesterday, then followed it up with a 783!

Things Ive noticed after my "first" few rounds.
The length of the "grass" on the ground has no bearing on anything.
Wind info is just for entertainment purposes.
Weather (rain or shine) has a majorly dramatic effect on flight, regardless of wind speed.
Your flick speed has virtually no bearing on putt speed, only the draw affects your throw.
My "character" has never thrown a disc in his life, but can still throw about 250ft.

After the next round observations

Head and side winds don't affect anything, but a tail wind will make your disc super understable (the opposite of reality).
Plastic and earth have a near 0 coefficient of friction, but leaves are near 5000000.
Chaos theory is prevalent in the valley

Some of the impressions are definitely wrong, but the game takes some getting used to.
- the grass alone doesn't have much bearing, but some ground is definitely stickier than others (you'll notice some places are annoying slick)
- wind info is actually very significant; maybe it's more so for putts and then higher speed discs. Don't think of it as "miles per hour," rather "level 1" being basically nothing, and "level 5" being those full speed, crazy Oklahoma gusts. There were some discussions on this a number of pages back, but there's some parallel to real disc golf. Headwinds (especially 3 and up) make putts rise a lot, but tailwinds make them rise a little as well. For drives, they also affect things a lot. This is why "wind break" discs are nice, both for drives and aproaches
- I haven't noticed weather doing anything, but wind makes a big difference.
- The putting is dumb or maybe I'm just bad at it. I personally throw from anywhere outside 20 feet. Learn the aiming (and wind adjustments) and you should make 99% from 50-60' and in.
- I do notice headwinds and tailwinds don't affect stability like they do in real life. I'm not sure about your tailwind=understable comment, but you definitely figure out some wind things as you go.

- I do notice headwinds and tailwinds don't affect stability like they do in real life. I'm not sure about your tailwind=understable comment, but you definitely figure out some wind things as you go.

I threw it level, full power, LHBH. The disc went slightly left during most of the flight, then the disc kept going left even more. Hit the ground and reacted like a BH throw. Bouncing and rolling left.
It was the only time there was a tailwind, and the only time my disc did that. So I guess there could of been some sort of something going on somewhere, but so far I havent been too impressed, overall, with the game.

The discs always land and slide and roll like they landed on concrete. Im not sure the spin of the disc is taken into consideration either.

Im gonna keep at it for now, but it doesnt seem to be too much better than it was before.

Maybe I just need to get "simulation" out of my head, and think more along the lines of "arcade game."

Im not trying to slam the game, btw. This is all just my opinion. Perhaps there's something up with my device, not the game. Idk. Just sharing my experience.

Ok. Sorry guys, I'm done. I despise artificially raised baskets in play. Practice? Fine.
Whats in the later courses? Windmills? Little alligator heads that open and close? Do I get a free round if I ace the last hole?

Ok. Sorry guys, I'm done. I despise artificially raised baskets in play. Practice? Fine.
Whats in the later courses? Windmills? Little alligator heads that open and close? Do I get a free round if I ace the last hole?

I couldn't agree more!
Fortunately, there's only three or four of those out of 68 holes

I couldn't agree more!

Preach! I hate the elevated holes, just downloaded the latest IOS version so will see if the hate diminishes at all, on the last update they became so random as to whether they would spit or accept discs it felt like a lottery.

In the putting practice mode I had something strange happen. Had a putt that hit chains, went in and was in the bottom of the basket, but then suddenly it looked like a single chain snapped, flew up, and flicked the disc out.

Same thing happened a couple more times. Anyone else experience this? I've never had it happen in a round, only in the practice mode.

In the putting practice mode I had something strange happen. Had a putt that hit chains, went in and was in the bottom of the basket, but then suddenly it looked like a single chain snapped, flew up, and flicked the disc out.

Same thing happened a couple more times. Anyone else experience this? I've never had it happen in a round, only in the practice mode.

It happens in putting practice only
People have posted ones that got kicked 1000 feet or more

My iPhone auto updated to v912. Fast runs close to basket seem to magically slow down on missed, usually stay within C1. Lots more ace runs for me. :)

My fuse is actually what I use for most ace runs. Remarkably straight right to the end.

My iPhone auto updated to v912. Fast runs close to basket seem to magically slow down on missed, usually stay within C1. Lots more ace runs for me. :)

My fuse is actually what I use for most ace runs. Remarkably straight right to the end.

I'll have my highest rating ever when it updates - after about 35 rounds with v912

I'm definitely a fan

The latest open tourney scores are a bit much. Looks like some people found an exploit.

I had something similar happen to me. My putt went in and shot out but mine flew all around my screen like it was in a tornado. I happen multiple times in a row. I just assumed it was my phone.

I couldn't agree more!

Preach! I hate the elevated holes, just downloaded the latest IOS version so will see if the hate diminishes at all, on the last update they became so random as to whether they would spit or accept discs it felt like a lottery.

The elevated baskets are less of an issue than some hills where the elevation change is very subtle. E.g. those greens (the one super slippy Crows Nest green that leads to big numbers) where the ground is slippery but there's obviously some kind of "downhill" effect though it looks flat in the game. Some of those elevation changes are subtle, and you just have to get used to them by playing the holes multiple times.