• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Weight Training?

I'd have to just backup what I have read from a few other people. A good weight training program that emphasizes your core muscles. If you have a strong then most everything else will follow. ALWAYS stretch even if you don't workout. Stretching is a workout in itself if you keep pushing yourself and stretch them out all you can without any pain.

I kinda skipped to the end of this one so I apologize for redundancy. I am a physical education major, and while that does not make me an expert in the field by any means, I have learned a thing or two in 5 years of college :). I don't know your body type, experience, or limitations so I'm going to be fairly general. Don't do anything you don't feel comfortable with.

I would recommend focusing on flexibility just as much as strength. You don't throw for big D by having a huge benchpress, just look at that 12 year old Wiggins kid throwing 700 feet. Flexibility will help you in the ability to reach back farther and will greatly reduce your chance of injury. Your muscles have the greatest capacity to stretch when they are warm, so perform a 5 minute low intensity warm up before stretching (once you break a sweat, you're warm.) Also stretch at the end of your workout, you're usually warmest then.

As far as actual work, core strength is key, you might try pull ups for lat work, and a one armed bent over row where you rest your left hand and knee on a bench and hold a dumbbell in your right hand hanging toward the ground. keep your back completely flat, and pull the weight straight up to your chest, its a similar motion to a disc pull. anything else is really up to you, but I would keep balance in my lifts and fitness (cardio) in mind.

You may also consider some balance exercises, which will improve body awareness. If you are kinesthetically aware of your body movements in space, you can more easily manipulate your movements to correct form problems.

Lifting weights shouldn't hurt your game, just keep in mind that with such a light object the velocity is generated mostly by speed, not strength.

The butterfly would seem like a good excercise for Forehand guys or really any bicep and chest.

for backhand id think youd wanna build up your shoulder muscles

+1 on shoulder muscles, although with my slightly tweaked rotator cuff, I feel it more with overhand, a little with forehand, and not at all with backhand.

So tell me if I'm the only one to be this dorky.... For a brief test period, I had taped about 50 grams worth of lead tape to the bottom of one of my Wraiths to practice with. The theory being if I could throw a 225 gram disc well, a 175 would be a piece of cake.
Ultimately, it just felt too strange, so I didn't stick with it. That little bit of extra weight made it feel like I was going to pull a muscle.

In the winter months when disc golf pretty much comes to a stand still here, I use our weight stack machine, along with the treadmill, elliptical machine & exercise bike to get my work outs in. Then when the season starts again, my body is in the best shape it can be in.

+1 on shoulder muscles, although with my slightly tweaked rotator cuff, I feel it more with overhand, a little with forehand, and not at all with backhand.
i feel nothing in my shoulders when forehand but if i back hand a disc thats a little to heavy or overstable i really feel it, and that first tomahawk of the day kills my shoulder and off the tee is not so good for my back.

So tell me if I'm the only one to be this dorky.... For a brief test period, I had taped about 50 grams worth of lead tape to the bottom of one of my Wraiths to practice with. The theory being if I could throw a 225 gram disc well, a 175 would be a piece of cake.
Ultimately, it just felt too strange, so I didn't stick with it. That little bit of extra weight made it feel like I was going to pull a muscle.

I bet that made the disc fly really over stable.

I would think Oly lifts (snatch and clean & jerk) would be just about ideal. They work the entire body and help to develop explosive strength.

No offense, but I wouldn't ever consider lifting anything like what stevep described.