• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf World Tour

Apparently not very much, he shot several strokes worse than his rating. Two shots worse than any other player in the event with a 1020+ rating. The 61 only looks solid in comparison to his awful round yesterday.

Very good point.

But however bad he feels his tournament has been, I bet he'd feel way worse if he didn't finish ahead of Ragna today. I think that finishing behind a pregnant part-timer might be tougher to live down for any of the full-time MPO pros than posting a few rounds below their rating would be.

Sexist remark is sexist.

I try to be a very guy who's very supportive of equality, but I don't really get this sentiment. Ragna is a pregnant part time DGer who beat "top pros" who travel and play time and both having ratings that are 100 points higher. Shouldn't that be kind of embarrassing if your nikko or jerm?

I guess I could see your point if you're saying that it shouldn't be any more embarrassing to be beaten by male 920 rated player. But I'm pretty sure those guys would be very embarrassed about that TOO.

I'm trying to understand here, not argue.

Ragna is a pregnant part time DGer who beat "top pros" who travel and play time and both having ratings that are 100 points higher. Shouldn't that be kind of embarrassing if your nikko or jerm?

This is the kind of stuff that was bound to happen after Jussi introduced this "one division, one champion" concept.

Frankly, I don't think any less of Jerm, Nikko and Will for finishing below or even with Ragna yesterday. But to say that a sizable chunk of pro disc golf fans wouldn't find it, at least mildly, noteworthy is naive. I presume that's why the recap on the DGWT site covered it and why the editor of Ultiworld said it was worth covering. And if those three pros wouldn't feel a tad bit embarrassed by being part of that story, it would be quite impressive and my esteem for them as professionals would grow even higher. That's why I wanted to hear their post round remarks yesterday.

This is why we have separate divisions for MPO and FPO for all but 5 of the top pro disc golf tournaments, to avoid spectacles like this. Unless you like spectacles like this - which I think might be Jussi's preference.

I said it was sexist because her being pregnant/PT/whatever, was brought into it.

Why can't a woman just be talented because of her abilities?

Why does it have to be in spite of her situation (pregnant).

And then to top it off with the MPO players somehow being embarrassed.

Maybe, just maybe,some of them would be happy for her and her level of play, regardless of her being pregnant.

She was the better player that round, simple as that.

I'm not saying you can't make a story about her being pregnant, and not being able to play as much, but as soon as the "embarrassment" factor was brought in, that's where I see the line being crossed.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
And we wonder why more women don't play?

How would some young girl feel reading these comments?

Would she start playing competitively if she felt that the elite level male players are embarrassed to be beaten by a girl?

It's the same old way of thinking that is prevalent in all the good old boy sports.

For some reason I thought disc golf was better than that.

If Nikko and Jerm are embarrassed over this then that speaks more to their own insecurities/issues.

Maybe get better or get beat by a girl.

Or my personal favorite, "Trying to make something happen."

Just finished the recap video of round 2:

1) Looks like Avery subbed out "world's best course" and "trying to make something happen" for "moving day" and "checked up." Good to see him mix up the verbal crutches and clichés. I also noticed that he replaced his DGWT hat with one of his AJ hats. I hope Jussi doesn't fine him.

2) I noticed McBeth is back to his normal putting stance after using a straddle stance, I guess due to his knee and/or back. This is big news, considering how lethal a putter from all distances Paul was during his incredible year last year. I hope that this return to his original stance is a signal of a return to health for him. I'm very curious to see if he makes it close tomorrow. I know there has been a ton of "what's wrong with McBeth?" chatter lately - a premise I completely disagree with - so I'm eager to see if he can stop that noise with a big run tomorrow.

3) Eagle was quite impressive on tv. Love that kid's game and style. Rocking the $200 Wayfarers, half on/off during the round and during his interviews made me chuckle. Looks like he and Rick really got after it today. it would have been a sick card to watch live. I also like him on the mic, very smooth and slick.

I said it was sexist because her being pregnant/PT/whatever, was brought into it.

Maybe, just maybe,some of them would be happy for her and her level of play, regardless of her being pregnant.

I'm not saying you can't make a story about her being pregnant, and not being able to play as much, but as soon as the "embarrassment" factor was brought in, that's where I see the line being crossed.

Just my opinion.

I consider myself to be very aware of these types of issues, but I don't think talking about her being pregnant makes it sexist. IMO, it would be the same to say, "Look how well McBeth is doing with an injured knee, that's impressive." Or "Greg Barsby is showing a lot of heart playing that well with an injured shoulder." It's an interesting tidbit that she's pregnant because I'm sure it's harder to play disc golf pregnant than not pregnant. Just like it's harder to play injured than not injured. I think McBeth is talented, but not just because he's played well in spite of the fact he's hurt. I think he's even more talented bc he's played at a high level through injury though. Same with her. She's obviously talented and it's even more impressive that she's doing it while she's pregnant.

Last edited:

Bringing up that a competitor in an elite sports competition is 4 months pregnant is being sexist? Lol, no.

Ragna has always been respected for her abilities. I think that's always been her reputation, correct me if I'm wrong. That she's now part-time and has decided to start a family makes her performance in the European Masters that much more impressive, in my view.

Lol "situation." She's pregnant, she's not in a "situation." I think if you polled 100 pro athletes who have been pregnant and asked them if they would prefer competing while 4 months pregnant or not, most of them would answer that they would prefer not to compete while 4 months pregnant. That's what makes Ragna's performance so amazing.

In a perfectly enlightened world, they shouldn't be embarrassed. Unfortunately other fans say otherwise. That's why I wanted to hear Nikko, Jerm & Will go on the record about the "situation."

Asking pros to be happy for another pro having beat them is not a reasonable request. They're pros working in a financially perilous field, they're out there grinding. Of course they can say whatever they want, but I'm not gonna hold it against them if they didn't treat her any better than they would anyone else under the same circumstances.

Nah, it wasn't that simple. Otherwise it wouldn't have shown up in the DGWT write up. And it was definitely the most interesting thing that happened in the first round.

Why shouldn't the "embarrassment" factor be brought in? The podcasts talk about it. People talk about it at weeklies. Jussi sowed these seeds with his "one division, one champion" scheme. Of course, it's not nice, but to ignore it is naive, in my view.

Just my opinion.

Respect.

And we wonder why more women don't play?

Lol, you could make dozens of better arguments why women don't play disc golf than pointing out that Ragna smoked 2/3 of an elite pro disc golf field in round 1 of a major international tournament. First argument would be a bunch of men debating online about women's behavior.

How would some young girl feel reading these comments?

Pretty turned off. Like with most threads on DGCR.

Would she start playing competitively if she felt that the elite level male players are embarrassed to be beaten by a girl?

Maybe, maybe not. Some women are motivated by stuff like that too. A better question might be: would a girl want to start playing competitively if her only opportunity to compete was against men who were rated 100 points higher than she was? That's the way DGWT wants it. "One division, one champion." Lol, spare me.

It's the same old way of thinking that is prevalent in all the good old boy sports.

Making girls compete against elite pros represents the old way of thinking? Nikko, Jerm and Will are in the position to move past the old way of thinking. That's why I anted to hear what they had to say about it.

For some reason I thought disc golf was better than that.

Disc golf is no better or worse than anything else. Why would anyone think otherwise?

If Nikko and Jerm are embarrassed over this then that speaks more to their own insecurities/issues.

No one said that they are embarrassed. Just wondering if they were.

Maybe get better or get beat by a girl.

Hang on, I thought it shouldn't matter if a pro got beat by a part-time pregnant woman?

Just watched the first round coverage... Kept seeing Avery jump out in front of everyone with his phone looking for pokemon. He had a very quick step and was in front of the crowd all day. Give that man some props. :thmbup:

Latest posts