• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf World Tour

Or, the other option, is to totally separate pro disc golf from amateur disc golf from casual disc golf. Make it like the Bigs, the Minors, and beer league Softball. Maybe that's what Jussi is trying to do here. I don't know.

I think we have that already with the PDGA, and everyone else. Line up 1000 casual from any local disc golf course and I'm guessing 90% have never heard of the pdga.

I think we have that already with the PDGA, and everyone else. Line up 1000 casual from any local disc golf course and I'm guessing 90% have never heard of the pdga.

I don't know the exact numbers, but most of the PDGA members are ams, not pros.

I'd say there's more separation between the PDGA elites and the rest of the PDGA (not just the ams, but the local pros), than there is between general PDGA members and casual golfers. Its not like the PDGA is an exclusive club or anything.

Clothing choice beyond functionality has to do with who has the monetary or affiliation power or cares whether they do. Snowboarders apparently cared about functionality and somewhat how they looked for their competitors and opposite sex fans when they first got big media exposure. Sponsors and promoters wanted to make money and noticed the snowboarders were fun to watch so they accepted their clothing choices.

Few have seemed to care about disc golfers or their clothing choices except disc golfer sponsors. Promoters and non-disc golf sponsors hold the power in this case since there's been little indication enough people want to watch disc golf in the U.S. So dressing more professionally is at least one thing that might move the needle a little bit. But I believe until the game is made more interesting to watch as noted in my Spectator series on PDGA.com, clothes will make little difference to the public at large if they aren't looking. Cleanliness is a separate issue and is still a key part of the dress code in most sports.

While I agree with your general point, what about the notion of building a market around disc golf clothing? Counter culture so to speak. Stranger things have happened, I knew people who had pet rocks, embarrassingly enough. Dressing professionally is a matter of what works. When the PDGA first rolled out it's dress code, it was collared shirts. With high tech fabrics (what is a hi tech fabric anyway) the code has morphed. I don't think most would think going beyond high tech shirts and shorts would gain much playing ground. Even more, the manufacturers, by producing labeled clothing, have set the standard here anyway. And of course, you are correct, there has to be some dress code, but I still think it's worth thinking about.

One thing to consider for example is Academy sports. Years ago, someone, I think it was John Houck, did a deal with them. They carry a large number of discs, not hugely varied mostly Innova and Millennium, but still there. What if you got them to add a clothing area? I would argue that selling the image might count as much as selling the sport right now. I know that sounds dippy, but if there's one thing that American's are suckers for, it's image.

Several people have raised the notion of corporatization and homoginization of the sport. I think this is a very valid point, but it ignores both the mission of the PDGA and the goals of the manufacturers. Good or bad, the mission of the PDGA is to grow the sport through professionalization. The manufactures want to grow for the obvious reasons. Keeping disc golf small and comfortable isn't a bad thing, it just ignores what is happening. You can work towards countering that, but you aren't likely to succeed long term. That said, I worry less about this than some. Disc golf won't support the kind of coverage and attention that other big sports do. The money isn't there, it's too cheap to play, and you can't fit enough players into a tournament to compensate by volume. That doesn't mean there isn't room for growth. If you take hiking as an example, there is no way to get it on television, but it is a multi-billion dollar participation sport that is marketed and managed like any business. Speaking of clothing, how many people wear hiking shoes and hiking clothing day to day? Lots do, for no real functional purpose than they think it makes them look cool.

IMO you're never going to build disc golf like a major sport, its structure limits that growth. But if you grew it's popularity similarly to something like X games, you could have non participant wanna be watchers. I love watching X games, no way am I doing that. Our model seems to be one of growth through participation. Again, I think that is severally limited. Even trying to get people to watch straight up is a tough sell. Getting people to watch because it's cool to watch is a different tactic, and IMO, a better option.

I don't think disc golf clothing has a chance to be cool or appeal to the general public until the sport itself can be seen widely enough in the media to have the chance to be seen as cool to wear. And that's if those watching like what they see.

Saying that it is "too cheap to play" makes no sense. Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and it cant get any cheaper. In other countries kids learn how to play on a dirt field with no shoes and kicking around the bladder of a goat... lol. The size of the tournaments also has nothing to do with it. The money is not going to come from the players themselves. Its not like a poker tournament where we have 5,000 disc golfers put up 10 grand of their own money and compete for it. People are only going to want to watch the most elite 100 players in the world. The money has to come from companies that want to put money in the sport for advertisement... and they are only going to want to advertise if people are watching the event. That is why superbowl commercials cost a million dollars... because there are soo many people watching it. and to get people to watch disc golf we need good media coverage and venues. There needs to be an emphasis on making it enjoyable for fans/viewers. So bottom line... we need events specifically created for only the top professionals to play... and for everyone else to enjoy watching (in person or through media). Sounds to me like that is what Jussi wants to do. Hopefully it works .

Clothing choice beyond functionality has to do with who has the monetary or affiliation power or cares whether they do. Snowboarders apparently cared about functionality and somewhat how they looked for their competitors and opposite sex fans when they first got big media exposure. Sponsors and promoters wanted to make money and noticed the snowboarders were fun to watch so they accepted their clothing choices.

Few have seemed to care about disc golfers or their clothing choices except disc golfer sponsors. Promoters and non-disc golf sponsors hold the power in this case since there's been little indication enough people want to watch disc golf in the U.S. So dressing more professionally is at least one thing that might move the needle a little bit. But I believe until the game is made more interesting to watch as noted in my Spectator series on PDGA.com, clothes will make little difference to the public at large if they aren't looking. Cleanliness is a separate issue and is still a key part of the dress code in most sports.

I'm really curious to see what Jussi does in regards to the bolded sentiment. If there is more being put toward media production, will he spring for multiple camera crews and a production team that can bounce around to different holes during a tournament, like a PGA event on television? If he can do that - eliminating all of the downtime that makes an event boring to an outsider (and some disc golfers, including this one) - then I think he has a great chance at success.

If the DGWT simply tries to attract some more people from outside to watch in person, I am not sure that will succeed. You'll need a more festival-like atmosphere in order to make the common spectator enjoy him or herself, in my opinion, and I am not sure how sustainable it is. If we get more online media coverage, but with all the same downtime? :|

When it comes to media, spectating, etc, I think disc golf has a real problem due to you can only fit so many people on a typical disc golf course at a time due to trees, etc, etc. That fact alone could be the reason it hasn't really grown from a spectator point of view. The problem is, if we DO play it on a typical ball golf style course, then you have plenty of room but at the sacrifice of technical play. (You certainly could add artificial obstacles to the course which may be ok, but we don't want wind mills. lol..) Granted, watching the pros throwing 400-500ft bomb hyzers might be what the spectators need to flood the grand stands. Definitely a catch 22 there. hmm..

My conclusion is that you have no idea what I was talking about.

:clap: Most people usually Don't. :thmbup:

Key Word in my previous comment about DG being more popular and course GROWTH in Europe was the word "GROWTH".

Disc Golf is more popular in Europe. Courses are going up, events are being broadcast on TV over there, even sporting goods stores in the malls have Huge DG displays when you walk into the stores. It is advertised, noticed, and has become a very popular sport on the other side of the pond. Some countries more than others, but still.

The fact has to be acknowledged that Jussi had a hand in that, too.

Short sighted scheduling.

I really wanted to spectate at La Mirada for DGWT kickoff event. LaMA is a course(s) that I play a lot and it's always fun to watch the top pros play.

I was checking the 2016 schedule so I could make plans and I noticed that the La Mirada Open (pro. A tier), St. Patrick Classic (Am. A tier) and Daniel Boe Memorial (Am. A tier) are all on the same weekend. There aren't many A tiers in California and to schedule 3 on the same weekend is kind of short sighted.

It seems to me that since the La Mirada Open is a pro only event that scheduling two very popular Am "A" tier events on the same weekend is going to siphon off a lot off potential spectators.

Gotta choose one. St. Patrick Classic it is. I'd rather play than watch.

I really wanted to spectate at La Mirada for DGWT kickoff event. LaMA is a course(s) that I play a lot and it's always fun to watch the top pros play.

I was checking the 2016 schedule so I could make plans and I noticed that the La Mirada Open (pro. A tier), St. Patrick Classic (Am. A tier) and Daniel Boe Memorial (Am. A tier) are all on the same weekend. There aren't many A tiers in California and to schedule 3 on the same weekend is kind of short sighted.

It seems to me that since the La Mirada Open is a pro only event that scheduling two very popular Am "A" tier events on the same weekend is going to siphon off a lot off potential spectators.

Gotta choose one. St. Patrick Classic it is. I'd rather play than watch.

DGWT managed to get in on the mini Winter Western Tour that starts with Wintertime Open Pros (B) in Pasadena, CA on February 21st - 22nd, then Gentleman's Club (A) in Las Vegas, NV on February 25th - 28th, then The Memorial (NT) in Scottsdale, AZ March 2nd - 5th, then Disc Golf World Tour #1 at La Mirada, CA March 10th - 12th, followed by St. Patrick's Pros (A), Orangevale, CA March 18th - 20th.

While I agree with your general point, what about the notion of building a market around disc golf clothing? Counter culture so to speak..

Have you come across DUDE clothing - Australian Chris Finns company they launched in Europe this year I think at the European open http://www.dudeclothing.com.au/

Pretty cool, functional clothing that could easily cross to other activities.

Have certainly been tied to Jussi through the Aussie Open and the European events last year (plus look who's wearing some of the clothes..) I wouldn't be surprised if this is a partner of DGWT next year, some of which will be televised in Europe.

The fact has to be acknowledged that Jussi had a HUGE hand in that, too.

FTFY. Especially regarding the DiscGolfPark concept. Off the top of my head I would say that roughly 50% of the courses in Finland (i.e. 240 out of 480) have either the full set or parts of DiscGolfPark. And now they are growing in other European countries too using that model.

DGWT updated their 2016 schedule the other day. The Estonia event has been replaced by the European Open held June 2-4. The September event in the US was canceled. So, the confirmed 2016 schedule is now:

10 Mar 2016 - 12 Mar 2016 Disc Golf World Tour #1 LaMirada Open, CA, USA
05 May 2016 - 07 May 2016 Disc Golf World Tour #2 Konopiště Open, Czech Republic
02 Jun 2016 - 04 Jun 2016 Disc Golf World Tour #3 European Open, Nokia, Finland
21 Jul 2016 - 23 Jul 2016 Disc Golf World Tour #4 European Masters, Stockholm, Sweden
05 Oct 2016 - 08 Oct 2016 Disc Golf World Tour Championship USDGC, Rock Hill, SC, USA

Just started reading this thread as I've been keeping up with the other two tour threads and wanted to see where this one was going.

Looks like it needed a bump. :)

I'll chime in and help with the bump.

The Memorial is first, but one week later the first DGWT event at La Mirada, March 10-12.

Looks like everyone playing the Memorial will be there, plus a couple extra International players (13 total, I think.)

http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/24917

The St Pats Am is the same weekend. Won't that affect the gallery size at the DGWT??