• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc physics question

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Is it just me or do discs travel faster when they're flying anhyzer or hyzer? Is there less drag on discs when they're not flat?

Short answer, no it shouldn't. Long answer, maybe... if form is bad (i.e. nose up) on a flat shot. There's a lot to talk about with this, but it's too late in the evening for me to want to lay it all out. I will revisit this thread with a more thorough response soon. It is going to take a few free body diagrams of lift factors vs gravity at different angles to really show what's going on here. I have a degree in mechanical engineering with a focus on the fluid dynamic studies of circulation lift theory. This is right up my alley.

Short answer, no it shouldn't. Long answer, maybe... if form is bad (i.e. nose up) on a flat shot. There's a lot to talk about with this, but it's too late in the evening for me to want to lay it all out. I will revisit this thread with a more thorough response soon. It is going to take a few free body diagrams of lift factors vs gravity at different angles to really show what's going on here. I have a degree in mechanical engineering with a focus on the fluid dynamic studies of circulation lift theory. This is right up my alley.

Dr. Disc Golf! woot woot!

i know when a shot LANDS with anhyzer, it seems to come in more hot. i think a disc looses the most speed late in its run, after its come back from its flip. for longest shots, seems to me the best way is throwing a long, low hyzer with an overstable disc, turn it over a hair and then flip back and get a big ole shipperoo while the disc still has some torque left.

It shouldn't assuming you throw with the same snap and speed at different angles.

It could appear slower as an optical illusion since a flat shot is generally going straight away from you, which makes it hard to gauge the actual speed. When the disc is going away and turning, it gives you more information and better depth perception to gauge the speed.

I typically throw slower discs flat like a Teebird(speed 7), which could be another reason. When Im throwing a hyzer-flip or anny I throw a Sidewinder(speed 9). I use a Firebird(speed 9) for a big hyzer.

Dr. Disc Golf! woot woot!

i know when a shot LANDS with anhyzer, it seems to come in more hot. i think a disc looses the most speed late in its run, after its come back from its flip. for longest shots, seems to me the best way is throwing a long, low hyzer with an overstable disc, turn it over a hair and then flip back and get a big ole shipperoo while the disc still has some torque left.

The skip effect with how different shots come in needs to be addressed, agreed. when a disc lands it skip and/or bounces. There is a serious ground texture/angle thing here that can't be accounted for realistically. I can give general terms for the condition upon which a disc will wither bounce, or air-skip off of something... but that is way to far into the realm of chaos theory when it comes down to the meat of it.

I'll just focus on the whoel airborn part of the disc's travels.

The skip effect with how different shots come in needs to be addressed, agreed. when a disc lands it skip and/or bounces. There is a serious ground texture/angle thing here that can't be accounted for realistically. I can give general terms for the condition upon which a disc will wither bounce, or air-skip off of something... but that is way to far into the realm of chaos theory when it comes down to the meat of it.

I'll just focus on the whoel airborn part of the disc's travels.

ok, Dr. Disc Golf!

mabye tackle skip and relevant conditions in another thread? Your first post on this thread has me on the edge of my seat. :D

looking forward to reading more from and learning a thing or two from you. :)

Not trying to be 'the authority' on this subject, but my background is in fluid flow around sailboat sails, and wind turbines. They all (discs, wings, sails) work on the same general principal, and most folks have a the concept of lift wrong because they've been taught that the curved shape of an airplane wing is makes it fly (total horse-****). For the past few years I have been teaching classes at CU to the aerospace and mechanical engineering students on circulation lift theory. Half of my efforts go into delearning them from the horse-**** they learned in their physics classes about a 'magic curved shape' of the wing.

When y'all are finished with your physics class lets go play a $5 round of golf.. You can worry about the physics of the discs while I concentrate on my game and take your money. :p

When y'all are finished with your physics class lets go play a $5 round of golf.. You can worry about the physics of the discs while I concentrate on my game and take your money. :p

worrying about the physics of disc flight IS worrying about my game...maybe one day youll learn...

the better I think I have gotten and throwing discs...more accurate and longer. my throws are lower flatter and skip often when they land hyzer and not so much anhyzer. imo my anhyzers are thrown with less spin and at sharper angel.

physics is always interesting! lol

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see those.
I have read a few threads on here, and on DGR forums, about disc flight physics, and no one seems to have a good answer or a consensus as to why disc turn right at speed before they turn left as they slow down. I would love to see a free body diagram, or a series of them, to explain this. Is it just the change in forward air speed that changes the lift vector, or is it something else?

Bring it one, I love learning about this stuff. As a Bio/Chem major I have enough physics and math to understand what you're saying but not enough to figure it out on my one. I can't wait.

Bring it on, I love learning about this stuff. As a Bio/Chem major I have enough physics and math to understand what you're saying but not enough to figure it out on my one. I can't wait.

I agree, I'll be tracking this thread. I always loved Physics and Chem in high school, maybe I'll be able to understand just a part of it without college class background :)

i was referring to the theory of multiple intelligences. more info can be found here:

http://www.thomasarmstrong.com/multiple_intelligences.htm

chip on your shoulder much?

Start things much? Every post I've read of yours was being a smart-ass or trolling. It's getting old

Latest posts