• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc replacement/additions during round

RUSSELL

* Ace Member *
In golf, if a player breaks(loses) a club during the round, that player may not replace it during that round.
Is there a similar PDGA rule for lost discs?
If conditions changed mid-round, could a player swap out discs?

In golf, if a player breaks(loses) a club during the round, that player may not replace it during that round.
Is there a similar PDGA rule for lost discs?
If conditions changed mid-round, could a player swap out discs?

You can carry as many discs as you want, stop back to your car as many times as you want to get more discs, you can buy discs during your round and use them. There is no similar rule in disc golf

You can carry as many discs as you want, stop back to your car as many times as you want to get more discs, you can buy discs during your round and use them. There is no similar rule in disc golf

The above is true - but the excessive time rule is still in force. So restocking trips to your car need to not violate this.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Dude had to pee real bad!

It's a warning for the first infraction, so make sure you get all the discs you need in that first trip!

Not sure of the origin but makes sense.

When Seeing older versions of the rules on PDGA website, the using other players discs as long as you let the players on the card know whose disc you are using, is not worded until mid to late 1980's about that time with the rules. Mid to late 1980's is about the time when doubles tournaments start becoming a more used type of Tournament and the Doubles World Disc Golf Championships becomes an added thing to the PDGA list of Tournaments in late 1980's.

... just keep in mind that you've got 30 seconds for your throw when it's your turn, as someone in your group might start counting seconds. (Remembering the McBeth incident from a few years back.) ;-)

But with a shotgun start, with the layout of many courses, you walk through the parking lot going 18 -> 1 so you're there and the 30 seconds starts once you reach your lie (the next tee)

But with a shotgun start, with the layout of many courses, you walk through the parking lot going 18 -> 1 so you're there and the 30 seconds starts once you have had a reasonable amount of time to reach your lie (the next tee)

I added the bold important additional words. You can't dawdle in the parking lot.

You could probably grab a disc from the trunk in time if your car was on the way and you hustled.

There are courses on the pro tour where they have 40+ minute back ups, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find the time to run to the car to grab more discs.

Or pros can throw their tee shot then run to the car to grab some discs like Oakley does at 2:25 in on this video(but the others on the card could have called him for time)-

Last edited:
I added the bold important additional words. You can't dawdle in the parking lot.

You could probably grab a disc from the trunk in time if your car was on the way and you hustled.

The tournaments I'm considering, are on a hilly, central Virginia course with a 200 yard walk across a parking lot from 18 to 1. 40% of players probably pause and grab a new water bottle from their trunk. Others refill water bottles from the one spigot. None takes more than 30-45 seconds. Is stopping to top up water allowed? Drying your Disc for 15 seconds each time before putting it back? It isn't a military operation.

As a TD, I'd laugh at that sort of complaint. Especially if, in this case, you are walking past the cars, it is in a part of the course that flows pretty well and is right after two of the slower holes so no one will be pushing you.

Now if they stop at a flymart, fondle 7 discs then get in line, sure... but walking 50' out of your way, popping the trunk and grabbing a backup, doesn't require "hustle" in my mind.

The tournaments I'm considering, are on a hilly, central Virginia course with a 200 yard walk across a parking lot from 18 to 1. 40% of players probably pause and grab a new water bottle from their trunk. Others refill water bottles from the one spigot. None takes more than 30-45 seconds. Is stopping to top up water allowed? Drying your Disc for 15 seconds each time before putting it back? It isn't a military operation.

As a TD, I'd laugh at that sort of complaint. Especially if, in this case, you are walking past the cars, it is in a part of the course that flows pretty well and is right after two of the slower holes so no one will be pushing you.

Now if they stop at a flymart, fondle 7 discs then get in line, sure... but walking 50' out of your way, popping the trunk and grabbing a backup, doesn't require "hustle" in my mind.

By "hustle" I don't mean run, I mean do it without wasting time. And yes, normally, you can do most of those things.

I've found that a major cause of slow play is surrendering to the belief that play will be slow anyway.

The goal is to keep up with the group ahead. Merely avoiding being pushed by the group behind is not a good measure of whether you are playing slow. You can eventually avoid being pushed by the group behind no matter how slowly you play, because the group behind has been slowed down by you.

I've found that a major cause of slow play is surrendering to the belief that play will be slow anyway.
I think there's more than a little bit of truth to this.

Latest posts