• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down, but looking for a consistent driver to work up to

RoundWounds

Eagle Member
Hey guys,

I've been doing some discing down recently and I'm actually really enjoying it. After playing most of my rounds this year with mids/putters only, I've come to the realization that long range drivers aren't making a big difference in my score (sometimes hindering it, in fact).

But, I would like to find a consistent driver to work up, when I feel I could put it to good use. I only have fast/stable stuff (Surge, Avenger) or quick/flippy stuff (Avenger SS).

I put Wizard/Banger GT consistently 250 ft and Buzzz/Roc/Comet consistently 300 ft.

I've considered the Teebird, Leopard, River, Stalker etc. but I'd like to hear what you folks have to say.

Get a leopard or an Eagle-L, both are great first drivers and should do what you are looking for them to do

Stick with the avengers or other speed 9 stuff. I have found great distance and control at that speed. if they are too still much to throw easily(75%) then drop off 5-10 grams.

Stick with the avengers or other speed 9 stuff. I have found great distance and control at that speed. if they are too still much to throw easily(75%) then drop off 5-10 grams.
I have an ESP Avenger (172 I think) and it's too much. I sacrifice too much control with the Avenger/Surge.

If you can throw putters 250 and mids 300' consistently you should be fine working with faster drivers like the Surge and Wraith, and you should definitely add a middle-of-the-road fairway driver to your bag immediately. Any of the discs mentioned in the OP work fine. Something really flippy like a Roadrunner or Pro Leo is fun too.

I use an Orion LF which is close to the avenger in flight and behavior. I use a 170 for overstable out to 325 and a lighter one at 164 for max controlled distance out to 400. I can get my buzzz and putters out to your same d plus maybe a little more. for my mids I throw 178-180g and step down in weight the faster the disc gets.170- 172 for fairways 165-170 for drivers and blizzards for the wide rim stuff. this allows me to get all the discs up to speed with an easy 70-80% throw so I don't sacrifice accuracy. that is just what works well for me.

I disced down last year and have recently started working drivers back into the bag. You really want something flippy so you can learn to get the turn out of it nose down.

The stuff I've had the most success with, and learning to get short drivers 350+, are X/TP Cyclones, Pro Leopards, Mil Polaris LS, and XLs. The stalker is not good to learn with... Teebirds are okay, but you will thank me for the flippier discs later.

A Buzzz might also be a good idea because it is a very fairway-like mid. It is also kinda nose sensitive for a mid.

Latest posts