• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing Up

Cooper2397

Hey,
I didn't find a thread on this.

I have been thinking about disc selection alot recently and there are alot of threads on discing down but when do you disc up?

For example, how far should you be throwing a Teebird before you are maxed out on D and need a faster disc for more distance.

Thanks

I know others will disagree with me on this, but I don't think there's one "magic distance" you should be throwing before discing up. The best thing you can do is just throw out in the field to get an idea of where you are. If you get to the point where you can consistently get more distance with similar control from a faster disc, then toss it in the bag.

Discing up and discing down is all about finding the equipment that works best for you. If you're Nukes are stalling out and landing next to your teebirds, then just stick with the teebird, but if you're crushing discs past the teebird, disc back up.

^^^
No magic distance but there are general rules of thumb. And they are a little broad.

Learn to throw your putter at least 300'. If you want to push farther than that please do, some people get out to 350' and a rare few do 360-380.

Then start doing a mid (roc, buzzz, or similar disc) and learn to pop it out there. Chances are you will just learn to throw them around 350-400. Comets are great to learn with, you get one of those out to 350-400 and you will be doing well.

Then snag a driver and get banging. You will have to probably fix some nose up issues here but you will be sitting pretty. Cyclone is a good one to learn with especially if you went with the Roc because you should squeeze somewhere around 60' extra D from it if you are throwing right. If you aren't they will land next to Rocs.

So get a Tbird past 400 lets say.

wow... I throw my putter around 250-260, my roc 260-280 and my teebird around 290-310--- I guess i should stick with that combo

wow... I throw my putter around 250-260, my roc 260-280 and my teebird around 290-310--- I guess i should stick with that combo

This is about where I am at too since I came back from the shoulder injury. Really need to get some field work in! GIVE ME DAYLIGHTTT:wall:

distance with putters and mids is more about getting enough height ont he discs for them to glide out. but it's important to remember that even though you're getting them higher you still want to throw with the nose down, it's hard to learn.

That's perfect...if you're getting these disc's with that length accurately then you should try some drivers. Try some understable ones first...roadrunner or sidewinder. Fly on!!

i started discing up when i came to the point where i couldnt just up and throw big power on my drives i had to power down then i went to a destroyer and threw all i had on it and it out drove anything prior to it. and i didnt have to power down that is how i knew i needed to

^^^
No magic distance but there are general rules of thumb. And they are a little broad.

Learn to throw your putter at least 300'. If you want to push farther than that please do, some people get out to 350' and a rare few do 360-380.

Then start doing a mid (roc, buzzz, or similar disc) and learn to pop it out there. Chances are you will just learn to throw them around 350-400. Comets are great to learn with, you get one of those out to 350-400 and you will be doing well.

Then snag a driver and get banging. You will have to probably fix some nose up issues here but you will be sitting pretty. Cyclone is a good one to learn with especially if you went with the Roc because you should squeeze somewhere around 60' extra D from it if you are throwing right. If you aren't they will land next to Rocs.

So get a Tbird past 400 lets say.

Nothing personal bud, I think you contribute a lot of good info to the technique side of this site, but those numbers are not realistic for the average player. Very few people throw those discs those distances and honestly it's completely unnecessary.

Fr example to throw a putter past 300-320 range you need massive amounts of air underneath and a wide fairway (unless you have a Jenkins, et al sized arm).

If you've got to tag numbers to it, usually I've noticed people who can get fairways in the 340'-360' range will have the arm to get faster drivers further. It should be noted that throwing fast drivers is a bit different than throwing fairways though. You have to pay much more attention to nose angles to really get big distances with them.

It's in a weird place when you try to search for that specific question, but I talk about it some here:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32790

The short answer is either:

When you get to 320' or so you might see some benefit from throwing more nose angle sensitive discs, but you might not get a lot more distance than a TB. The faster discs will require less height, though.

Or:

When you don't care about throwing your current discs farther anymore.

really it depends on what you want/why you play. I agree with cfair if you have unlimited time for field practice and rounds, and a lot of patience. I agree with jtacoma if you don't have that time, but still want to throw reasonably far and be decent.

if you think (or have the time, that is the most important factor) you can reach the 300/350/400 club, do it.

JT and Garu are giving good advice here. If you feel comfortable throwing a Buzzz 250' and a Teebird in the 300-350' range, that's pretty solid for a beginner or intermediate player and you could look to add a couple faster discs. Perhaps an understable distance driver like a Valk, and a more overstable driver like an OLF, Orc, PD, etc...

In order to have any success shaping lines with faster discs like the Wraith, Surge, Flow, Nuke, etc. you'll need to throw them 375'+ and gain a little control over nose angle, otherwise they will just stall and/or fade hard. That can be a useful line at times though.

Thanks-- I started another thread abt getting a FireBird. I did some field work yesterday and I think overstated my distances a bit. So my game plan now is to stick with my T-Bird as a back hand/ FH driver and pick up a leopard as supplemental BH driver. I will pick up a FB to practice FH and see what I can do with it-- so my bag will look like this

Drivers: firebird-- FH, TBird-- BH/FH, Leopard-- BH, Valk-- BH
Mids: Roc, Buzzz, MRV--- I mostly use the roc and the MRV (for hyzers)
Putter: Voodoo

Realistically, I get my drivers 250-300-- my mids 190- 230, my putters 130-160

what do you think?

We talk about distances a lot but discing down is largely about learning to control your discs and improve your technique. It probably takes a year or two of playing and practicing pretty regularly before you'll actually be working your putters, mids, and fairway drivers on all the lines at the distances we're talking about.

We talk about distances a lot but discing down is largely about learning to control your discs and improve your technique. It probably takes a year or two of playing and practicing pretty regularly before you'll actually be working your putters, mids, and fairway drivers on all the lines at the distances we're talking about.

Agreed. I think keeping a slower or disced-down bag is only truly useful if you couple it with regular field sessions where you work on a good, clean release as well as developing snap/hit point. From the development of those concepts you'll find distance becomes almost effortless.

If you keep a slower bag and just casually play you're torturing yourself for no reason, in that case buy whatever you want and go nuts. The slower drivers will still be more controllable and consistent for you, but you may still find an extra 10-15' with a faster disc.

It all depends on your short and long term goals for the sport.

distance with putters and mids is more about getting enough height ont he discs for them to glide out. but it's important to remember that even though you're getting them higher you still want to throw with the nose down, it's hard to learn.

but is the key to getting drivers farther too. I remember when I was learning to throw the Pred a Discraft pro helped me out. She said the pred is really nose up sensitive and you have to get the right timing of a wrist roll (counterproductive right?) but after a few more throws my pred went from being a full meathook that died after 300' to shooting straight and then having a forward fade out a lil past 350'. She said if I could get my comet out 350' with the same throw I used for the pred then I should be able to hit over 400 with the pred. So that is my goal for the summer.

Nothing personal bud, I think you contribute a lot of good info to the technique side of this site, but those numbers are not realistic for the average player. Very few people throw those discs those distances and honestly it's completely unnecessary.

Fr example to throw a putter past 300-320 range you need massive amounts of air underneath and a wide fairway (unless you have a Jenkins, et al sized arm).

If you've got to tag numbers to it, usually I've noticed people who can get fairways in the 340'-360' range will have the arm to get faster drivers further. It should be noted that throwing fast drivers is a bit different than throwing fairways though. You have to pay much more attention to nose angles to really get big distances with them.

I give "okay" info at best. But I think you are right, I have given some big numbers there but I do have to say I talking about football field throwing, so there is nothing in the way and it is just all out distance shots. So honestly, thanks for calling me out and making me clarify.

I once told Mark Ellis I was having trouble getting my putter past 280' and he looked at me dumbfounded and said "I wish I had a 280 putter throw."

I give "okay" info at best. But I think you are right, I have given some big numbers there but I do have to say I talking about football field throwing, so there is nothing in the way and it is just all out distance shots. So honestly, thanks for calling me out and making me clarify.

I once told Mark Ellis I was having trouble getting my putter past 280' and he looked at me dumbfounded and said "I wish I had a 280 putter throw."

Oh, my goof for part of it then, I thought you meant golf distances...which becomes another idea for discussion entirely: do you base your discing up goals on field distance or golf lines?

And as for you, 280' is great putter distance, further than that and you're so susceptible to wind and other factors that you might as well throw a more aerodynamic disc anyway.

Difficult question to answer.

Let's say you're working with a Teebird. You could get your throws with the Teebird out to 350', then try a faster disc from there and probably see an increase in distance, so 350' with a TB is enough things going right that you can get some utility out of a faster mold.

However, 350' with a Teebird is not at all pushing what that disc is capable of, so at that distance you aren't maxing the disc out and you don't need to disc up to get more distance. There is nothing stopping you from learning to throw a Teebird 450' if you really want to.

The question is more or less how much time and effort are you willing to put in to increasing your distance? That is what it will come down to. Some people don't ever drive with a putter, some of us are not satisfied with driving a putter less than 400'. It's not a question of what the disc is capable of as much as it is a question of what you are willing to be capable of.

Latest posts