• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania - CD2

MFC-DDx, S-PD (x2), S-CD2, and Lizotte C-FD. Don't leave home without 'em. Driver setup for every situation needed.

Currently, for the wooded courses I'm playing most often these days, the S-CD2 is my most thrown driver. Such perfect control. I love, love, love this disc!

My swirl S-line CD2 must be abnormally beefy. I've been wanting to use it for those longer straight fairway shots, but it always finishes with a pretty healthy fade. Obviously not as strong of a fade as a fresh S-PD, but enough to land me off the fairway on the tight tunnel shots.

Because of this, I've been having more luck with throwing my swirl FD and or C-line FD. My C-line CD2's are just as stable, and my G-line has gotten too much turn.

I'm going to keep working with it, because I think once it gets beat up a bit it may become magical. In the meantime my more stable FD's are working well, as I don't have much trouble getting them out to 350' or so on a frozen rope.

I feel the 170-171 are a tick less stable but they do also want some beating in to turn into magic woods discs. the 175 shield stamped ones seem a little more stable vs. the lighter mega huk ones

I have the DM wings swirls in 170-171 and they are great for smooth tight flex lines that have been giving me an extra 25-50ft of distance, with serious accuracy. Have a 166 C line on the way too.
Most def my new favorite disc.

I have been throwing around a 175 C CD2, and I think this disc is a home run. It goes really far, has a little turn, and always fades out at the end. It can also take a full power throw without having to be too careful. I was getting it out to 430' today and it just had a slight turn. Seems like it is going to be an amazing driver for the woods when I need a little lower or longer line than my FD can handle. Seriously great disc.

The C CD2 I have is firm, clear C line plastic. I am guessing it is on the more stable side for CD2s. Anybody know how many different runs of C CD2 there have been or what the flight characteristics are of those runs.

I NEED to have a couple(dozen?) more of these on the shelf.

The C CD2 I have is firm, clear C line plastic. I am guessing it is on the more stable side for CD2s. Anybody know how many different runs of C CD2 there have been or what the flight characteristics are of those runs.

I NEED to have a couple(dozen?) more of these on the shelf.

ive read that the ones that are not as clear in the rim are more stable. thats what i have, a clear c line that almost has a milk colored rim.

ive read that the ones that are not as clear in the rim are more stable. thats what i have, a clear c line that almost has a milk colored rim.

Interesting! Thanks for the info. Is the plastic pretty hard or is it on the softer side? I heard there were kinda gummy ones.

Interesting! Thanks for the info. Is the plastic pretty hard or is it on the softer side? I heard there were kinda gummy ones.

The one's he's referencing, with the cloudy rims, are a firmer run than the more recent softer stuff.

Slowly been working the cd2 into the bag more and more. G line is getting to the point where it will carve some nasty lines. Forehand hyzerflip to flat with the late turnover and I've got one of the gummier c lines that's just laser straight. I do have a few swirlies that just haven't been thrown a lot, but now that my g line is getting a bit flippy it might get some more action. I've noticed I'm throwing the pd a lot less because the cd2 is very similar with an abbreviated fade.

The sixth run c fd is growing on me too, similar lines to the cd2 just 30 feet shorter.

Recently started throwing a C-line CD2 and it has been great so far. Flies true to the numbers for me: when thrown flat, shows a little bit of turn with reliable fade. I've been looking for a close-to-neutral Speed 9 disc to fit between my mega OS Firebird and my seasoned Sidewinder. Looks like the CD2 might be perfect for that gap.

Just threw the CD2 for the first time ever after picking one up in a mystery box. Holy guacamole this disc is good. Don't think I've ever thrown a disc that flies with this combination of glide, stability and range in a c-line/champion plastic when new. Feels amazing in the hand, so comfortable forhand or backhand. I've mourned the loss of the Innova SL for years, and the CD2 might just be the replacement I've been looking for, but better. Now I'm going to want to buy them all lol.

I've mourned the loss of the Innova SL for years, and the CD2 might just be the replacement I've been looking for, but better. Now I'm going to want to buy them all lol.

You probably know this, but Pro Starfires are actually SLs. Also, they made a commemorative run of Star SLs when Valarie Jenkins Doss won the 2016 Worlds, and you might can still find a few of those. SL is an awesome disc; if the CD2 is like it, I might have to check that out...

I just got a sweet cline cd2 in my Discmania mystery box. It's has a special edition Simon Lizotte stamp and I'm trying to decide if I should throw it? Or sell it it? Or save it?
I've been eyeing CD2s for a while, they seem like they might be a good stepping stone for me. Right now I throw mostly Teebirds off the tee, I have a gstar thundy for head wind, and a Mvp insanity for turnover and tailwind duty.
My Teebirds fly around 320', sometimes a little more. And the insanity can get out a fair bit further with a tail wind.
I definitely get a little less distance with my thunderbird. Can anyone compare the power needed for a cd2 vs my thb and TB? Do you think he CD2 will met me more distance?
I've also been considering pro thunderbirds for this distance/control spot.

I just got a sweet cline cd2 in my Discmania mystery box. It's has a special edition Simon Lizotte stamp and I'm trying to decide if I should throw it? Or sell it it? Or save it?

If you don't wind up wanting to keep that Lizotte CD2, PM me the color/weight/condition. I might want to buy it off you.

In my experience, CD2 is a good "straight" compliment to the Thunderbird. It should go a little farther, but may not be as easy to place (assuming the Thunderbird is still new-ish and flies basically straight-to-fade). But a well seasoned Thunderbird might overlap with the CD2.

If you're getting Teebirds out to 320', I'd think CD2 should get 350' without too much trouble.

I've been eyeing CD2s for a while, they seem like they might be a good stepping stone for me. Right now I throw mostly Teebirds off the tee, I have a gstar thundy for head wind, and a Mvp insanity for turnover and tailwind duty.
My Teebirds fly around 320', sometimes a little more. And the insanity can get out a fair bit further with a tail wind.
I definitely get a little less distance with my thunderbird. Can anyone compare the power needed for a cd2 vs my thb and TB? Do you think he CD2 will met me more distance?
I've also been considering pro thunderbirds for this distance/control spot.

I think you would like it for your arm speed. Still enough stability to be trusted in lots of situations, but enough HSS forgiveness you can shape lines with it and it will come out. When you see McBeth shape lines with Thunderbirds or overpower them for really straight shots, that's what more normal armed people can do with a CD2 I think. If it starts out stable it would likely be -0.5/2 compared to a 0/2 Thunderbird, but it lets you throw pushing hyzers better or more neutral shots.

I've never thrown a Pro Thunderbird so I don't know what stability those are at compared to champ/star.

I think you would like it for your arm speed. Still enough stability to be trusted in lots of situations, but enough HSS forgiveness you can shape lines with it and it will come out. When you see McBeth shape lines with Thunderbirds or overpower them for really straight shots, that's what more normal armed people can do with a CD2 I think. If it starts out stable it would likely be -0.5/2 compared to a 0/2 Thunderbird, but it lets you throw pushing hyzers better or more neutral shots.

I've never thrown a Pro Thunderbird so I don't know what stability those are at compared to champ/star.

Thanks SP! This is what I wanted to hear.
We have a new course in town with some longer wide open holes, and I just don't have the game/lines/discs to really get the disc out there.

The insanity has helped with tail winds, but it's too flippy for any kind of a head wind. It's great to have a disc inside of my power though, I can throw long hyzers, turning annys or bomber s's. It's a lot of fun.

I'm learning to anny flex my thunderbirds but I still don't get as much D as a flat release with my milder TBs so I don't tend to use that shot unless I need the shape.
The CD2 sounds like it should be a lot more workable for me.

If you don't wind up wanting to keep that Lizotte CD2, PM me the color/weight/condition. I might want to buy it off you.

In my experience, CD2 is a good "straight" compliment to the Thunderbird. It should go a little farther, but may not be as easy to place (assuming the Thunderbird is still new-ish and flies basically straight-to-fade). But a well seasoned Thunderbird might overlap with the CD2.

If you're getting Teebirds out to 320', I'd think CD2 should get 350' without too much trouble.

I decided to grab a gline CD2 to test out first and I'll decide what to do with the fancy cline later.

I bag a cd2, pro thunderbirds, and a champ thunderbird. For me, the the cd2 is right between the stability of a Champ thunderbird, and a pretty fresh pro. I can get a little more distance out of a slightly seasoned pro thunderbird, but it will have a little more turn, whereas the CD2 doesn't turn quite as much. I can rely on the cd2 a little more if I want to throw a hard shot and not worry about much turn. Take into account I pretty much always throw these with a slight hyzer. Only have one cd2 so ymmv.

When I first got the cd2 I basically told my friends that it flew just like a brand new pro thunderbird, but I knew it would hold that spot for a very long time in c-line. It is slightly different though, and for some reason to me, seem slightly slower than a thunderbird. Doesn't quite have the magic of a pro thunderbird to me, but maybe that's just because it has slightly less turn (not according to the numbers of course). Hope this helps. Highly recommended from me, although may have a little overlap with thunderbirds as someone else mentioned. I still bag them both! I would compare it to a pretty beat in champ thunderbird of a brand new pro.

I bag a cd2, pro thunderbirds, and a champ thunderbird. For me, the the cd2 is right between the stability of a Champ thunderbird, and a pretty fresh pro. I can get a little more distance out of a slightly seasoned pro thunderbird, but it will have a little more turn, whereas the CD2 doesn't turn quite as much. I can rely on the cd2 a little more if I want to throw a hard shot and not worry about much turn. Take into account I pretty much always throw these with a slight hyzer. Only have one cd2 so ymmv.

When I first got the cd2 I basically told my friends that it flew just like a brand new pro thunderbird, but I knew it would hold that spot for a very long time in c-line. It is slightly different though, and for some reason to me, seem slightly slower than a thunderbird. Doesn't quite have the magic of a pro thunderbird to me, but maybe that's just because it has slightly less turn (not according to the numbers of course). Hope this helps. Highly recommended from me, although may have a little overlap with thunderbirds as someone else mentioned. I still bag them both! I would compare it to a pretty beat in champ thunderbird of a brand new pro.

Damnit, I may have to test some pro Thunderbirds as well!! I fear they are what I'm really looking for. But if the CD2 gives me solid distance and the right amount of workability, they may coexist, while my gstar thundy could come out for windier days. Or sub them out for my luster fd3, just a touch more stable.

So many discs, it's a challenge to boil things down.

Latest posts