• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Discmania disc equivalents to Innova?

maybe try the Tern or the DDx. i know they're 12 spd drivers, but they fly pretty far. i've also used an Archon back in the day to get pretty long throws

13.7 years...eh?

Yeah, I first started playing in 2003 when I started college. Played almost daily. But I also didn't know anything about disc selection, form improvement, and threw an DX Aviar, DX Leopard, and a Champ beast. I just didn't take it all seriously. We just went out and had fun. Never played tournaments or watched youtube vids (2003-2007 there also probably wasn't a ton of youtube content) and for darn sure didn't know about dgcr if it was even around back then.

I took about 8 solid years off, then started just playing some occasional rounds here and there for a year or two (only a few rounds a year). But have just started taking it super serious the last 6 months or so.

So yes, 13.7 years. :popcorn:

Last edited:
Yeah, I first started playing in 2003 when I started college. Played almost daily. But I also didn't know anything about disc selection, form improvement, and threw an DX Aviar, DX Leopard, and a Champ beast. I just didn't take it all seriously. We just went out and had fun. Never played tournaments or watched youtube vids (2003-2007 there also probably wasn't a ton of youtube content) and for darn sure didn't know about dgcr if it was even around back then.

I took about 8 solid years off, then started just playing some occasional rounds here and there for a year or two (only a few rounds a year). But have just started taking it super serious the last 6 months or so.

So yes, 13.7 years. :popcorn:

Understood :thmbup:

Thanks for all of this info. It's nice to know how some of these may fit in between some discs I already have.

I don't really feel like I'm missing too much in terms of "shots" I guess. I just feel like my lack of distance is holding me back a lot. I'm working on my form, and I know I'll get there eventually. But if I could just magically find a disc that goes super long and super straight with my medium/slower arm speed, I'd be a happy camper :)

Gold line Saint. It is exactly that. The CD2 is similar but the saint has a bit more glide.

2)Is there a nice discmania mid that is somewhat between a Buzzz and a Roc/Roc3?

The MD3 is pretty much a Roc3 without the bead. Flights are extremely similar (at least my C-Line MD3 is just like my several Champion Roc3s).

If anything discmania molds generally fit inbetween innova molds.

FD is in between a leopard and a teebird.

Ontario roc and a roc3 is a md3

Firebird and a thunderbird is a PD (stability wise).

Tern and destroyer is a ddx

Boss and a wraith is a dd2

Destroyer and an xcalibur is a PD2

Teebird and a firebird maybe a FD2 or FD3

So sometimes you want something that seems in between molds in innova a discmania mold might be what you're looking for.

Firebird and a thunderbird is a PD (stability wise)

I wouldn't put it that close to a Firebird. The C-PD may be a bit close, but the others not so much. The PD really seems plastic dependent on how stable it will be.

The P-PD is between a Teebird and a Wraith.
The S-PD is between a Teebird and a Destroyer.
The C-PD is hmm...maybe like you said, but I've never thrown a Thunderbird myself so can't really say.

I haven't thrown a G-PD yet. Can anyone comment on that one?

I wouldn't put it that close to a Firebird. The C-PD may be a bit close, but the others not so much. The PD really seems plastic dependent on how stable it will be.

To make it easier just compare the discs in the same plastic.

So a c line FD is in between a champion leopard and a champion teebird.

The point is - discmania molds are often in between innova molds.

So if you want something in between a champion firebird and champion thunderbird then a c line PD might be what you're looking for.

i throw a lot of discmania, and this is what i suggest:

get an FD. s line is good for straight shots not thrown full speed, a c line can take a full throw but will turn more than fade. MD3s are good, especially the glow ones, but they are straight flyers, and it seems like you can already do that with your roc3s. CD2 really might be what you want. the c lines are in production, but the s line ones are all swirly and honestly not great looking discs and hard to find. so i say a c line CD2 and an FD of some sort. some people like the DDx, i still prefer a champ tern.

Chris, from discm sent me two CD2's in swirl. A suggestion of his after talking about what I was trying to find for a competitive slot in my bag.

Great disc but they just didn't make my line up. They were too close to my saints (regular). I suspect this will be the fastest selling disc from their lineup for newbs.

But I have no idea on what to relate the cd2 in the innova line up. Sometimes, I think that we want to itemize, put things in a category to simply are thinking.

So, even though your looking for direct comparisons between innova, and discm actually another manufacture may have a more similar slot to actually place it in.

CD2 is a Thunderbird/Beast love-child in my mind. You can get a bit of turn out of a CD2 at high speed, but nothing as high-speed understable as a Beast, and it's still less LSS than a Thunderbird - like a Beast. So, I tend to think of it as a stabilized Beast. It's my go-to frozen rope driver. My 2¢.

Latest posts