• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania FD3

I got me some purty discs!

The Orange one is a "Gold Camo" and looks cool in person.

Attachments

• 2015-07-09 16.02.02.jpg
    2015-07-09 16.02.02.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 2015-07-09 16.03.50.jpg
    2015-07-09 16.03.50.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 2015-07-09 16.06.00.jpg
    2015-07-09 16.06.00.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 54
I got a pink one with that gold camo stamp and unless you hold it up so there's light behind it I can't make anything out with it. The orange one I got with a full black stamp looks much better IMO.

Haven't had a chance to throw them yet though. Wondering how they'll compare to CFR PD's? I'd guess they'll be pretty close.

Really enjoyed throwing mine this weekend. I played 40 holes of mostly open golf, which was a perfect chance to try this out on placement OS hyzer shots, which it did really well. I throw a bit over 400 for distance, and the FD3 did a great job on 280-330 placement OS hyzers. I didn't really try it on any flat or anhyzer shots.

Basically, if you want to throw the same lines as 500+ foot throwers get from their firebirds, the FD3 will help make up the distance gap a little bit, while still being accurate and OS enough to hold up to just about anything.

I'm up for getting one of these in the not so distant future. Ideally I want a 175g one, so will probably have to wait for a standard release run.

Just got my a few first runs, orange, 175g. They throw great. Lots of HSS and throw like a seasoned Firebird or Sexton Firebird. I think they knocked it out of the park with this one. I don't need crazy OS, flat top, hard as a rock Firebirds.

My Sexton FB is more OS than the EO FD3. 12x FAF FB then even more. I think I will continue to bag the trio FD2 G* FB and 12x FAF FB. FD3 is a great disc on its own but no reason to reshuffle the deck I have been playing with for well over a year now.

So the consensus is that this will slot somewhere between my CFR PDs and Firebirds?
Not really sure that's a big enough gap to shoehorn a mold into....

Yep, definitely an alternative. If you aren't someone who wants the ultra OS Firebirds you will like the FD3.

This sounds awesome! I love the cd2 and wanted something more OS than pd's to pair with them.Looks like I can ditch the pd and firebird for less overlap. Looking forward to getting my hands on some production runs!

The FD3 is a lot of fun to throw. By far my favorite released by Discmania since the FD. As a forehand primary player I get a lot of control and a lot of distance with relative ease. It is HSS and wind resistant, so when thrown flat/hard it will fade always fade right. It is perfect for wooded holes that you need to hit a small gap or get a nice skip shot. On downhill or open holes I prefer to hang it out high left and let the fade do the work to the basket. Overall it easier to throw than the flat beefy firebirds, offers more control and still gives a reliant fade.

Can't wait to get my hands on the S-line's!

Here ya go, sorry for cell phone quality pics...and for some reason no matter what I do the pics keep coming in upside down. It must be in the upload, I've tried multiple things from my end...sorry. :\

wait...do you have a fridge magnet that holds a disc? I never realized I need one until now!

I have multiple FD3's, EO and First Run Versions. It seems that every one has a different Parting Line height. They also appear to have a ripple like waves in the nose. I picked one with a high PLH and it definately is beef, where my EO PD would S curve, this disc goes straight and fades. It has the same distance potential, but only if I throw it flat or anyhyzer and power through. From a hyzer though, PD has more distance for sure. I think I can either season the one with a high PLH or choose a FD3 with a more moderate PLH, and I'll be in love. I already was throwing it straighter and farther than my Monster or BOSS, at the end of a very long disc golf weekend. So it's nice to have a point and shoot straight disc compared to my Monster or BOSS.

Yea I have felt that ripple wave too. Strange.

Yep, a person on the Discmania facebook page also mentioned many of these first run/EO run discs would be stamped factory seconds if they were from other manufacturers.

I still love the disc, I can throw it hard, and not worry about it rolling over like my PD might. PD will fly similar line, but I have to worry too much about the angle. I like just throwing a disc hard, and not worrying about it.

It still doesn't come back as hard as even my Sexton firebird, but it's nice to have, straight or slightly straight-left 300 foot flick disc.

Yep, a person on the Discmania facebook page also mentioned many of these first run/EO run discs would be stamped factory seconds if they were from other manufacturers.

Interesting... Discmania typically has very strict standards on what they sell as non-xouts, especially through the store. I know that is one thing the store staff prides themselves on. Curious to know if this was a slight oversight or what happened!

Latest posts