• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania to partner with Yikun and Latitude 64

I cant yet see how this is going to be a positive for Discmania. IMO they already have quite a few molds that nobody throws and this just seems like they will be adding to that list. This seems more beneficial for the other two companies. Also this really isnt anything "Game Changing" like advertised.

I cant yet see how this is going to be a positive for Discmania. IMO they already have quite a few molds that nobody throws and this just seems like they will be adding to that list. This seems more beneficial for the other two companies. Also this really isnt anything "Game Changing" like advertised.

I feel like it is a poor move from a branding perspective. Feels like they are diluting their brand/having an identity crisis. I'll wait and let the discs speak for themselves though. Although I'm not a huge fan of lat64's modern plastic blends and it looks like the yikun disc are baseline only.

Yikun has premium plastic.

From discmania website:
"In 2019, Discmania Active will offer one plastic type: base level plastic. It is a soft and grippy plastic that works in all weather conditions. While still focusing on a quality product, we are able to introduce a new, lower price point that has not been seen for disc golf retailers."

I think my favorite thing so far from reading the website is that they say that they are going to be adding higher end products to the market via lat64 and that quality matters. Im not sure if they did their research ahead of time but lat64's plastic has been know to not hold up as well as innova. They might be able to produce a more consistent flight pattern in discs but overall they are a lower quality. I dont see this going well for Discmania unless they get Simon and Eagle to throw the crap out of the new stuff.

I'm cool with it. I'll keep on with my FD3's & CD2's as long as they're still made by Innova.

Have never been into anything related to Lat64. Not sure why. Just hating on them I guess.

I'm curious if Lat64 will need to increase production capacity. In the past I've asked Dynamic when the next run of a specific plastic/mold combo will be run, and the answer has been essentially a shoulder shrug. Reading between the lines, the vibe I get is that DD already doesn't have as much product control as they'd like, and that would likely only go down if there's another company's production runs to support.

As someone who throws a mixed bag but leans heavily toward Trilogy (70%), I'm intrigued by this development. I like Trilogy plastics a lot more than Innova, so the thought of having another company releasing discs in Trilogy plastics is awesome. The potential for increased Trilogy (Quadology???) production is also exciting. But the potential of more companies & molds but static production is not appealing. So who knows. We'll see how this plays out and I'll remain cautiously optimistic that this is a good thing.

From discmania website:
"In 2019, Discmania Active will offer one plastic type: base level plastic. It is a soft and grippy plastic that works in all weather conditions. While still focusing on a quality product, we are able to introduce a new, lower price point that has not been seen for disc golf retailers."

My bad, I thought you were saying Yikun only produces baseline plastic. They do have premium plastic but Discmania will only utilize their baseline plastic in 2019.

Yes, it is all explained in the linked blog post.

"With manufacturing cooperation with Innova Champion Discs, Latitude 64 and Yikun, Discmania will launch three different product lines for 2019: Discmania Originals (by Innova), Discmania Evolution (by Latitude 64) and Discmania Active (by Yikun). New products are will begin to roll out during this spring from all three lines."

Code:
Upcoming 2019 releases:

Evolution Instinct
(Fairway Driver)
Weight range: 165-175g
Plastic Compound: Neo
Colors: Primal Run: Discmania Orange. Four regular run colors.
Estimated Release: April, 2019

Evolution Method
(Mid-Range)
Weight range: 170-180g
Estimated Release: May, 2019

Evolution Link
(Putter)
Weight range: 170-175g
Plastic Compound: Exo (Medium and Hard)
Estimated Release: June, 2019

Evolution Enigma
(Distance Driver)
Weight range: 165-175g
Estimated Release: July, 2019

I think my favorite thing so far from reading the website is that they say that they are going to be adding higher end products to the market via lat64 and that quality matters. Im not sure if they did their research ahead of time but lat64's plastic has been know to not hold up as well as innova. They might be able to produce a more consistent flight pattern in discs but overall they are a lower quality. I dont see this going well for Discmania unless they get Simon and Eagle to throw the crap out of the new stuff.

If they really wanted the evolution line to be high quality with a progressive design philosophy they should've partnered with prodigy or kastaplast. Now that is something I could get excited about.

Prodigy is too much a competitor in Europe and afaik Kastaplast doesn't have anywhere near the capacity to meet Discmania's needs.

Latest posts