• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Discontinued Innova Discs?

mjfreunder

Forgive me if this thread has already been posted, but I went into a local sporting goods shop looking for a Champion/Star Leopard and was told by the employee working that Innova discontinued the Leopard in addition to various other discs. Is there any truth to this? I can't find anything about it online. Thanks for the info!

I just bought a Champion Leopard from a local in my hometown just over a week ago. So there is no truth to that. At least I wouldn't think so.

I'm new to the sport so I don't think I've actually seen any discs go OOP yet. Is there typically an announcement of some sort on the company website or do they just go gentle into that good night?

Yeah I mean I'm relatively new to disc golf, only been playing for a few months, but I highly doubted that the Leopard would have been discontinued... thanks for the help guys. Anyone have a recommendation on their favorite Leopard plastic?

I'd freak out if Innova ever discontinues the Leopard, selling my car and buying like 100s of Champion Leopards to last me a life time. :)

I'm new to the sport so I don't think I've actually seen any discs go OOP yet. Is there typically an announcement of some sort on the company website or do they just go gentle into that good night?

I think only the champ Shark and maybe the Bulldog have gone OOP since I started playing, and I don't remember any announcements. And I used to spend a lot of time on disc golf sites.

Yeah I mean I'm relatively new to disc golf, only been playing for a few months, but I highly doubted that the Leopard would have been discontinued... thanks for the help guys. Anyone have a recommendation on their favorite Leopard plastic?

If you like the feel of smaller diameter discs I would go with Star, to me there is a noticeable difference in diameter between it and Champ.

As for the OP, I also think it is total BS. And it would never go OOP in both Champ and Star, never. I would go ahead and boycott that sports store, it was a Dick's, wasn't it?

In a related note: Innova will stop producing the aviar and the katana and will be increasing the polecat and groove production.
Please go slap this person in the face for telling you this and never buy anything from this store again.

Pro Plastic. Without a doubt. Anyone saying champ/star is only kidding themselves :D

If you like the feel of smaller diameter discs I would go with Star, to me there is a noticeable difference in diameter between it and Champ.

As for the OP, I also think it is total BS. And it would never go OOP in both Champ and Star, never. I would go ahead and boycott that sports store, it was a Dick's, wasn't it?

...how is the diameter larger on the same mold?

Total BS. The day Innova stops producing the Leopard is going to be followed shortly by them going out of business. Sporting goods stores suck ass when it comes to disc golf info.

^^^This...
Don't worry, the Leopard is one of Innova's best selling discs and will be around a long, long time.

I just measured my Champs vs. Stars and they are basically exactly the same.
Maybe it's the dome that's throwing you off.
My Stars are noticeably more domey than the Champ ones...

...how is the diameter larger on the same mold?

There is at least one thread out there about how discs of the same mold in different plastic are slightly different diameter because of condensing differently when cooling. If I was better at the interwebs I would link it. Basically the conclusion is that the cheaper a plastic is the larger diameter the disc will be because it condenses less when it cools, and since Star is a mix of Champ and Pro it actually ends up being slightly larger diameter than Champ.

I am, however, willing to admit that the different feeling in my hand could just be all in my head or due to the difference in dominess. But I still like Star best.

I went to look up the Reaper on Discrafts website and it was not there in their list of drivers so I did a site search and it comes up as discontinued in 2010. Granted I dont keep up on all the Discgolf news going on, but that seemed to have slipped off quietly, so I would guess sometimes they just stop producing some discs.

My friend gave me an old Puma that was discontinued way way back and it's the first disc i've gotten that is practically impossible to replace. I really like putting with it, but never ever see them available.

I understand the frustration now!!

Latest posts