• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft Flash Replacement

I have never tried the flash, but I agree. I don't know why they aren't showing the surge any love in new plastic varieties..

Just snagged a nice rainbow stamped one. Nice two tone transitional wing, with a swirly top.
It's a pretty run.

Necro bumping this thread to restart the discussion.

The flash, especially in esp plastic, is one of the most unique discs ever made. It blurs the line of whats possible with being stable enough to handle 450' of power, while still being understable.

For the high distance line, I have yet to find a disc with similar flight characteristics. It will slowly dive nose down and glide out where anything comparable would dump out from too high of a cruising speed causing loss of glide. The closest flying disc I know of that flew similarly that's also sadly no longer available was the baby blue pop top gateway illusions.

For steep uphill drives it's basically a cheater disc, you don't even have to follow the profile of the hill simply throw it steeper than the angle of the hill and higher than you would any other disc and watch it turn over and glide flat into the finish vs having to gamble with other flippy discs that need to ride the ragged edge of turning into a roller for that shot shape.

Sadly, discraft has decided it's better as a shelf queen collectors disc vs a thrower and refuses to run them in esp plastic.

Others have noted that the flash is the og groove, they were hit or miss especially in z plastic ranging from meathook glideless turds to worthless roller discs and the occasional long drive bomber. The esp flavor of plastic had less of the groove lottery factor but did suffer from the color variations effecting flight.

So for those of you who have thrown a flash, what do you suppose is similar today?

I bagged a Flash for a long time back in 2005-2007ish. For the most part Flashes were very good drivers, but they had some consistency issues. Most of them were fairly flippy, but I found some that were almost grossly overstable.

For being such a flat disc the Flash flew really well. I always felt it had a bit more zip and distance than a Beast. The Flash is what I always used when I wanted more turn than an Orc.

I can't think of any molds out now that really feel and fly like a Flash. Perhaps something like a Mystere.

For not being a super fast disc the flash was capable of big distance.

Necro bumping this thread to restart the discussion.

The flash, especially in esp plastic, is one of the most unique discs ever made. It blurs the line of whats possible with being stable enough to handle 450' of power, while still being understable.

For the high distance line, I have yet to find a disc with similar flight characteristics. It will slowly dive nose down and glide out where anything comparable would dump out from too high of a cruising speed causing loss of glide. The closest flying disc I know of that flew similarly that's also sadly no longer available was the baby blue pop top gateway illusions.

For steep uphill drives it's basically a cheater disc, you don't even have to follow the profile of the hill simply throw it steeper than the angle of the hill and higher than you would any other disc and watch it turn over and glide flat into the finish vs having to gamble with other flippy discs that need to ride the ragged edge of turning into a roller for that shot shape.

Sadly, discraft has decided it's better as a shelf queen collectors disc vs a thrower and refuses to run them in esp plastic.

Others have noted that the flash is the og groove, they were hit or miss especially in z plastic ranging from meathook glideless turds to worthless roller discs and the occasional long drive bomber. The esp flavor of plastic had less of the groove lottery factor but did suffer from the color variations effecting flight.

So for those of you who have thrown a flash, what do you suppose is similar today?

Just do what we all do. Start buying boxes of similar discs and hope to find one that fits. Then pile all the other contenders, failing auditions, in the garage or basement. :p This is a neat site to do some comparing.

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431

I was also a long-time Flash thrower. I used to carry 4 Flashes with wildly different stabilities.

I found the Legacy Nemesis to be the best replacement for the understable Flash variety. Glow Nemesis on the more stable/straight side, and Icon/Sparkles can get really understable. But the overall feel and flight is pretty similar.

Lots of discs these days would cover the more stable end. I still throw a PD for that slot, but I actually think an Anax matches the feel of the Flash a little better.

The Beast was probably the best comparison at the time. Never liked em the same though.

I find the flight characteristic you are looking for in Chameleons now. Similar rim size but bulkier is why it's listed as slower. They can handle a lot of power, and flip at high and low speeds but have the stability to flex out.
They aren't as much of an all out bomber like the flash or those illusions were though.

Mint longhorn or trespass (lucid or lucid X) may be a good place to look for flippy bombers with integrity.

the closest thing to a flash would be a wraith or a flow. Inertia is a good disc ( it's basically a Leopard ). Here's a pic of a Flash & wraith side by side ( Wraith on the right ). I did notice the flash being around 2mm taller...more glide?

Attachments

• IMG_20230519_001158650.jpg
    IMG_20230519_001158650.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 8
the closest thing to a flash would be a wraith or a flow. Inertia is a good disc ( it's basically a Leopard ). Here's a pic of a Flash & wraith side by side ( Wraith on the right ). I did notice the flash being around 2mm taller...more glide?

The wraith is faster more stable and also has a much higher cruising speed lending to a very different flight.

Even a beat to snot dx wraith will dump out from a high enough hyzer flip while a just as understable beat up flash will push forward and continue flying.

Lol the Inertia isn't "basically a Leopard"

Have you compared them side by side? I have.

I've thrown several of each mold over the years. They are both drivers and that's about it comparison wise.

The Leopard is a straight to slightly US slow fairway driver and the Inertia is a faster control driver (9-10 speed) that turns and fades (similar to a Sidewinder/Valkyrie/OLS).