• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Focus

Snagged a ProD from a buddy... very nice disc... flies very Warlock'ish and the ProD is pretty tasty, soft in the flight plate and firm in the rim. Thumbs up. But I love me some Warlock, recently added a couple stiff SS's to my collection... whops... thought this was the 'Warlock Huggers R Us' thread

From what I've heard, it should be more over stable since it has a bigger bead.

Of course, people who have thrown both would likely be better references for that question :wink:

I really hope Discraft starts producing this disc ASAP!

It looks like a Wizard, but flies like a Challenger. Stable with little or no glide. Just put it up with the right amount of power and it will drop right where you want it. Never once did it roll away or flip out to the right like my Wizards do.

edrift101 said:
I really hope Discraft starts producing this disc ASAP!

It looks like a Wizard, but flies like a Challenger. Stable with little or no glide. Just put it up with the right amount of power and it will drop right where you want it. Never once did it roll away or flip out to the right like my Wizards do.

does not compute

Anyone that says they have no glide, or fly nothing like Wizards must have gotten a mutant... Everyone at my race race was impressed with how much glide they have, and all of the Wizard throwers on my card were impressed with how similar it was.

SkaBob said:
Anyone that says they have no glide, or fly nothing like Wizards must have gotten a mutant... Everyone at my race race was impressed with how much glide they have, and all of the Wizard throwers on my card were impressed with how similar it was.

That's how I viewed it as well... I have been putting only with a Wizard the last couple of years and think the Focus is very comparable.

The ESP is a POS if you ask me.. was really flippy but the D version felt great and had a ton of glide, especially compared to the Wizard - a change might be in order for me, but that means alot of backups to get rid of.

SkaBob said:
X2, ive thrown wizards on and off for years and other than the plastic id be hard pressed to tell the difference and they glide rather well

I was at a buddy's house last night barbecuing and he had a stack of putters in his back yard. One was the Focus, from an ace race 3 weeks ago. The disc was absolutely THRASHED. Like, it looked like it had purposefully been thrown into a brick wall, repeatedly. Of course, when I saw it I was like "holy shit, what happened to this?" He was insistent that he'd done nothing out of the ordinary to it, that he hadn't thrown it at all since the ace race, and that it had achieved that condition from normal use...no crazy tree hits or anything. I've never seen a disc so new look so beat up, it was already clovered, and actually had something of a crease in the flight plate. The mold itself did look great, but I'm not too impressed with this new pro d blend...looked about as durable as wet cardboard.

some call me...tim? said:
I was at a buddy's house last night barbecuing and he had a stack of putters in his back yard. One was the Focus, from an ace race 3 weeks ago. The disc was absolutely THRASHED. Like, it looked like it had purposefully been thrown into a brick wall, repeatedly. Of course, when I saw it I was like "holy shit, what happened to this?" He was insistent that he'd done nothing out of the ordinary to it, that he hadn't thrown it at all since the ace race, and that it had achieved that condition from normal use...no crazy tree hits or anything. I've never seen a disc so new look so beat up, it was already clovered, and actually had something of a crease in the flight plate. The mold itself did look great, but I'm not too impressed with this new pro d blend...looked about as durable as wet cardboard.

Throwing the Pro D Focus made me realize that its not just the mold that makes the Wizard, its the plastic. Even the SSS (which compares to the Focus I got) holds up much longer than Pro D. Pro D feels great but lacks integrity altogether. This suck considering Discraft has had some great baseline mixes in the past.

I don't see the same things you are seeing. I picked up a couple (Pro D) from Barsby and I'm loving it. Had it in the bag for almost a week and have really given it a workout; the plastic is fine, no bad nicks or gouges. I pulled my Magnet and Challenger to see if this thing will fill that slot. So far, so good. I'll give it another week or two to make sure it either does or doesn't fit.

After our ace race and all my metal hits, (OK tree hits) my D focus is clovered and beaten also. Only threw it during the ace race.

We had our Ace Race today (Oct 3). You have to love Canada...our event was less than 5 degrees Celcius...with some snow and the odd bit of rain. It was also moderately windy.

Now I will state that I am not the best thrower but I did not like this disc. Granted the weather was not great but the Pro D came across as flippy and probably not all that durable. A friend of mine hit metal and it took a gouge right out of the nose of the disc. And no it was not a full on full speed hit. It was at the end of its flight as the disc faded in towards the basket. Maybe it is like the Gateway S plastic that marks up quickly but then doesn't degrade any further although I have not yet seen a Gateway disc have a gouge taken out of it.

Between the Pro D and the ESP the Pro D was a world better, the ESP was nowhere near as stable as the Pro D....which might not be saying much. But the Pro D held a line better and was less flippy (and I just finished saying it was flippy so that tells you something about the ESP version). The best thing I can say about the ESP is that the dye mix changes made for some "nice looking" discs.

I suppose if you were looking for a turnover type putter then this might do that job. It might make a great putter and a decent thrower in better conditions but not what I would view as a driving putter. Although to be fair I would have to throw it again in better conditions...but that is now probably 8 months away :?

IF I was a Wizard thrower I wouldn't jump to this disc. But I am not. I like Warlocks.

ManU said:
We had our Ace Race today (Oct 3). You have to love Canada...our event was less than 5 degrees Celcius...with some snow and the odd bit of rain. It was also moderately windy.

And even with the weather almost 70 of us out there today! I've never seen so many players in the park before. Was a good time.

I liked the Focus though, especially the Pro D. It held a nice hyzer for me and went pretty dead straight as well though I did turn it over a bit easier than my wizards. I used it the whole round and didn't find that it got beat up too much. Of course I didn't hit much more than ground with it so...

I got a chance to play a couple rounds this weekend with a Pro D one and I must say I like them. It feels a lot like my Wizard and flies quite a bit like it too. Not exactly the same, but almost interchangeable for me. They ding up pretty easy though. I only used it on open approaches so it was only basket hits but already there are a few decent dings. I think just a little bit tougher of a blend would be ideal. I liked the D better than the ESP too when I tried throwing them at the store, but I could see where the ESP might be good for driving with.

I don't know that I'd move away from my Wizards (organics) but I think I'll carry the disc in my bag along with the Wizard. It seems to have just a little bit more glide for me than the Wizards which seem to drop right in front of the basket. I had pretty good luck on longer putts with it where I'd generally leave the Wizard just short.

Overall, a very solid disc. If I'd played with one earlier, I might not have gone with a Wizard and I'd be an all Discraft bag, but it's just not quite as nice as the Wizard. For now I'm going to keep one of each in my bag though and switch to the Focus if I'm having a bad day with the Wizard, and for those longer putts.

I give the disc a thumbs up.

Yes, the Focus is very nice. I've been throwing my D Focus for a couple weeks now (it's been windy here in michigan lately) and they outperform my Warlocks in the wind, hands down. I know... it's the bead and Wizards too have the bead. But Wizards just feel bulky in my hand. I love the Warlock... LOVE IT. But this Discraft Focus may just get the nod when it goes into general production. It flies almost exactly like a Warlock in calm conditions, the LSS seems identical, the only difference is in glide and that is very slight. The D does ding up quicker than S plastic, but it feels great. Seems like a winner.

The jury is still out though... I've yet to lean on it with some big throws... I've just been throwing ups <200' and putts with it. But according to my Tarot readings and the crystal ball the Focus will perform fine. :lol:

Blazek told me the Focus is just a groove-less Banger, and I really hate the Banger so I'm weary of this disc.