• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

discraft xl

superdriver

I love the xl, for long controll drives and s shots, holds alot of lines and is very controllable anyone else got one in the bag?

I threw an X-XL for a while. They are nice discs, but depending on the plastic, they can fly very differently.

They can be powered down and thrown very straight, or hyzer-flipped for shots over 350. You could cover a lot of shots with the XL in various plastics. Super glidey (not a word), the X plastic is.

I am on a Leopard kick, so the XL is on the shelf.

I will add, that if I threw an all Discraft bag, I would carry a lot of these.

I have one. Came close to ditching it, but worked on some technique issues and it's back in. I lost my Sidewinder (that I found), so the XL is my new forehand disc.

the xl isa great fairway. if i didnt throw the xs i would throw the xl.

I have a "Limited Edition first run" XL in "Elite Pro" plastic.

Its used but in great condition. Might throw one in the bag and see how it flies. Are these discs sought after at all?

XL is the only disc that's held it's place in my bag since I got hooked on DG. My first was a Pro D, then a heap of Elite X with some Z seasoning. The Z's are more stable overall and quite a bit more LSS - like LSS 0 for X and LSS +1,5 for Z - and I use the X's the most by far.

Nowadays, i use it along PD's and Pred's in these slots:
  • If I need a straight drive and placement is more important than max d, and there's little to no head-/cross-wind.
  • If I'm in the fairway and I can't use/don't need max oomph.
  • If I need a high/long turnover that won't come back (this slot is a toss-up wit a beat P-PD though).
  • Tailwind.

Still love it enough to never really commit to testing out alternatives. I guess JLS or River would be nice to try, but I haven't really seen any convincing arguments for doing so.
I've used Valks, Wildcats, TD's for the understable max distance-slot where I find the XL a bit too slow, but beat P-PD's cover this now.

I'm still having fun testing faster stuff that might take over this slot as well, so far I'm not consistent enough with faster stuff though, probably for the same reason that the XL has been a safe choice for a lot of shots so far: I find it's not that touchy when it comes to nose angles. You have to work an X-XL to get much fade.

Jsw said:
I have a "Limited Edition first run" XL in "Elite Pro" plastic.

Its used but in great condition. Might throw one in the bag and see how it flies. Are these discs sought after at all?

Don't trash/lose it ;)

hey spedcraz-3 can you maybe put a little more effort into the OPs of your threads? expand on your love of the XL. Tell us what makes the XL better than a leopard or other discs of the same type. What weights and plastics are your XLs? You get the idea. anything more than one run on sentence. Help raise the level of discourse on the forum.

thanks bro.

At one point, I was struggling with throwing high nose down shots. Blake suggested I get a 150g D line XL. I got one, and it helped a lot, on two aspects. one was finding out how to throw nose down the other was eliminating OAT.

I think I have at least one XL in almost every plastic. I have a couple of First Run Elite Pros as well as regular EPs. I have X, Z, ESP and FLX. I've yet to try a D (mainly because D has been so flimsy lately). I can say that I've yet to see a disc vary so wildly across plastics. The X and old EPs behave similarly, flippy yet controllable. The Z and FLX are like short Avengers slight high speed turn and respectable fade. The ESP is like a TL. Beat up an X and you have a really good roller. The X is an awesome hyzer flip disc off the shelf and after a couple of tree whacks it is a controllable turnover disc. All of them take a good bit of height to break 370. You can definitely cover a wide range of shots with the XL. I've recently found the Z XS. It flies on a really tight s curve and I can hit 375 with a 70% throw and on a lower line.

I still really like the XL. It's very versatile and controllable. I'm reworking my game and sometimes I forget that it's okay to throw a driver on holes under 300'. The XL is a fantastic disc and is an excellent first driver for anyone. It's a disc that can change and grow with your game.

i think the speed 6-8 disc get ignored way to much. learning a mold in this speed range and your game will improve. The xl is a great option because it come in so many plastics.

well i carry an elite z and an x xl, its not as flippy as a leopard but at the same time it can hold an anny line all the way, i got both mine in 172 whuch i find is a really nice weight for a fairway driver, im just now trying out an xs and its great too but i still like my xl better because its more reliable for me, theyre both great drivers that can be powered down alot without breaking hold of lines.

sheepforwheat said:
had a FLX XL. hated it. kept shooting upward all the time.
Ummm yeah, I'm pretty sure that isn't the disc's fault...

i have a xl pro d i really like it because it flies straight before i was using my magnet on straight drives. but not that i have the xl i use it for evrything sometimes even long putts

The XL is a finesse fairway driver. It complements my Avengers really well. I generally use the XL when I need more control, placement, and shots that have a low ceiling.

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I just bought a couple of identical pink 175g Z XL's, with some of the stiffest pearliest plastic I've felt in a long time. Unfortunately, these are by a mile the most understable XL's I've thrown. They are like throwing 150g D's. I know the XL isn't as popular a disc these days, but anyone seen any from this run? Are these typical of how XL's are coming out lately?

I bought a z xl a few months ago. It is stiff, flat, kinda pearly and does not fade. It's not super flippy, but it's not too stable, and it's a 170 something.

Yeah, that doesn't sound quite as extreme as mine. I have to put them on a pretty steep hyzer to throw them more than 300'. Oh well, I'll buy one in a different color and see how they compare. XL's are typically one of my favorite discs ever, so I'm hoping there are still plenty of good ones out there.

Latest posts