• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Z Nuke

What weights are you guys throwing? Any noticeable difference in flight and distance between 60s and 70s?

Sean40474 said:
What weights are you guys throwing? Any noticeable difference in flight and distance between 60s and 70s?
All of mine are about 173 and fly as expected based on PLH.

All mine are 172-174g. I wouldn't want to go any lighter as mine are already sensitive to wind at those weights.

discspeed said:
It's not me...I took out a Glow Z Nuke yesterday that is flatter than my other Zs and it didn't get this lift at all...However, it doesn't get the glide either. The crazy thing is that these super lifting Z Nukes don't lose much D or stall out when they get lifted like that. Anyway, I'm with y'all and I'm grabbing something else in any significant wind, and in calm or tailwinds the Nuke rules. It also still works pretty well in the wind for shots under 400' (I use it for FH, and I don't throw nearly as hard like that).

Are the Glow Nukes generally quite flat compared to non-Glows? The glow Stalkers and Buzzzes I have encountered are quite a bit flatter than their non-glow counterparts.

josser said:
discspeed said:
It's not me...I took out a Glow Z Nuke yesterday that is flatter than my other Zs and it didn't get this lift at all...However, it doesn't get the glide either. The crazy thing is that these super lifting Z Nukes don't lose much D or stall out when they get lifted like that. Anyway, I'm with y'all and I'm grabbing something else in any significant wind, and in calm or tailwinds the Nuke rules. It also still works pretty well in the wind for shots under 400' (I use it for FH, and I don't throw nearly as hard like that).

Are the Glow Nukes generally quite flat compared to non-Glows? The glow Stalkers and Buzzzes I have encountered are quite a bit flatter than their non-glow counterparts.

The one's I've felt seem to suggest so.

My Glo Nukes (3, max weight) are all quite flat, and as a result, a little less stable than I wanted. To be fair, I haven't tested them for the straight Nuke spot in the bag, as our club stamped mild domed ESPs are lasting so well. I have a huge stack of Nukes that haven't been thrown, or thrown very much.
@ Discspeed- I have seen some of the "elevator" effect that you described with Nukes. I have a really low release with drivers, which works well with Nukes, but last weekend at Hawk Hollow, even some released 3' off the ground would jump up 20-25' at distances out to 300'+, which pretty much rules out nose angle in my eyes. Like you said, didn't alter distance results too much, and faded only a bit more than I wanted. If I could figure out how to do this intentionally, one would think that you could realize some increased distance with disc that jumped up without jumping left too. Food for thought.
KP

The highest lift i've had is 10' IIRC but all discs do that every once in a while in the gusts and swirls around here.

NoMoreTinCup said:
My Glo Nukes (3, max weight) are all quite flat, and as a result, a little less stable than I wanted. To be fair, I haven't tested them for the straight Nuke spot in the bag, as our club stamped mild domed ESPs are lasting so well. I have a huge stack of Nukes that haven't been thrown, or thrown very much.
@ Discspeed- I have seen some of the "elevator" effect that you described with Nukes. I have a really low release with drivers, which works well with Nukes, but last weekend at Hawk Hollow, even some released 3' off the ground would jump up 20-25' at distances out to 300'+, which pretty much rules out nose angle in my eyes. Like you said, didn't alter distance results too much, and faded only a bit more than I wanted. If I could figure out how to do this intentionally, one would think that you could realize some increased distance with disc that jumped up without jumping left too. Food for thought.
KP
I don't think you can correlate release height in any way to nose angle. Hell, when I throw air bounces (intentionally way nose up) they are probably the lowest release height shots in my arsenal.

I do remember something from Blake/Beto about crossing certain power thresholds causing a disc to rise later in flight.

jnecessary said:
NoMoreTinCup said:
KP
I don't think you can correlate release height in any way to nose angle. Hell, when I throw air bounces (intentionally way nose up) they are probably the lowest release height shots in my arsenal.

I do remember something from Blake/Beto about crossing certain power thresholds causing a disc to rise later in flight.

I don't think he was correlating release height to nose angle...rather I think he was saying that if you have a nose up release, the disc is going to rise out of your hand rather than 300' down the fairway. I do think this issue has to do with what Blake/Dan were talking about there. Most discs don't get a ton of lift with the nose neutral, but the Nuke does, especially at high speeds. Sometimes (especially when it's a little windy) when I throw the Nuke hard, at the point I feel it should be starting to turn it lifts instead and holds it's line. I can compensate for this by making sure I get the nose down rather than neutral. The Boss doesn't experience this at all, and doesn't lift for me when it's nose is neutral. This may be due to it's higher cruising speed, but I think there are other variables influenced by disc design.

my 167-8-9's fly like a stronger pro katana, and my 173 flies like a weak boss, but oddly my z's are weaker than any weight of the many esps ive had from 169-174 prolly about 8-10 of them

discspeed said:
Interesting

I don't think he was correlating release height to nose angle...rather I think he was saying that if you have a nose up release, the disc is going to rise out of your hand rather than 300' down the fairway.Exactly. I do think this issue has to do with what Blake/Dan were talking about there. Most discs don't get a ton of lift with the nose neutral, but the Nuke does, especially at high speeds. Sometimes (especially when it's a little windy) when I throw the Nuke hard, at the point I feel it should be starting to turn it lifts instead and holds it's line. I can compensate for this by making sure I get the nose down rather than neutral. The Boss doesn't experience this at all, and doesn't lift for me when it's nose is neutral. This may be due to it's higher cruising speed, but I think there are other variables influenced by disc design.[/quote]
I had a 172 DF Champ Boss that would also do this.

Does this have something to do with disc design and the larger rim width? I know this may be a novice question, but I'm not a disc engineer or physicist and I'm trying to understand the reason for this.

I finally got a chance to throw a few z Nukes last week and I agree with it being really easy to throw really far. I also agree with the weird lift it gets and that it doesn't really rob D, I threw a shot maybe 10' off the ground that eventually lifted to around 30' but still went ~400' and didn't really deviate too far off the line.

Long story short, I'm trading for a few of these this week.

I keep a few discs that I don't normally carry in my bag in a bin in my car....These are discs I've learned, found an excellent use for, but don't need on my 2-3 regular courses. The Nuke is among them because in a field or on a wide open course I can crush it consistently, but I can't really control it in terms of line, lift, and fade on more technical drives in the 400' range that I see on my home courses.

Latest posts