• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs for beginner female?

hilega

Bogey Member
Took the girlfriend for first disc golf round. To keep things simple, I brought my 175g DX Roc for me and a 149 DX Cobra for. She is petite at 5'3" <120lbs, age 27, but played softball (infield) in high school and currently plays in a slow pitch league. She had trouble throwing backhand with her dominant right hand. Tried to get her to attempt a forehand, still no luck. Lots of release problems, wobble, and she felt awkward. She swtiched to backhand lefthand and started throwing better - out to 100 ft. I think it will obviously take some time and a lot will come with technique improvements (will need to show her some videos, Dan Beto, etc.). We only played 9 holes...

I play for fun, and so we wil always be at the recreation level. Another variable to mention is, the winds here on the Central Coast of California are pretty wicked (home course is Waller park).

Enough background ... on to the question:

Is the 149 DX Cobra a good starting point for her and able to handle the winds (alwasy 10-15mph in the afternoon + high gusts)?

Thought about getting something with a little more weight 155-160g and maybe some different molds:

Buzzz
Shark
Coyote
Stingray

Also maybe a DX Leopard.

I also have a 171g DX Aviar P&A for her.

I have combed the search function for "Beginner", "Women", "Woman", "Midrange", "Mid", "Wind" and searched every individual disc above and looked at some of the more frequent female poster's profiles for what is in their bag and what the female pros carry.

Would just like some others to weigh in. I tend to over research and over think things (especially at the beginner/recreation level). Disc weight is a big question for me too.

Any inputs would be great. Will probably want to add another mid for her to try 155-165g and a Leopard at around 160g. (Probably overthinking this ... but I do post on ddgcoursereview.com, so that is implied)

(I have a 170g DX Leopard, 175g DX Roc, 175g DX Cro, 175g DX Classic Aviar, 175g R-Pro Aviar that she could try as well)

Thanks.

PLaying topless makes her disc's go farther!!!!!

Let me know next time you play!!!!!!

Get her fly dye groove 166 that looks hood when thrown. I'll sell ya one cheap!!

Lighter discs maybe teebird. Lep is solid as well.

I bought my wife a 128 gram cobra that she can throw really well. I don't think you need to worry about wind just yet. When it is only flying 150' wind isn't going to affect it that much even at lighter weights. I also bought her a 150 gram leopard that she can throw fairly well.
I have a zephyr that my wife can throw incredibly accurately, but only about 100'.

First, I was just out in Cali a few weeks back and played Waller, great course, my review should be up soon.

Next I think I can help you out here as I am about 5'3" female as well. I would definitely try the DX Leopard. One of my first discs was a 169 Champ Leopard, loved it, help improve both my backhand and forehand shots. Another disc I used well when I first started was a spider, they really do throw more like a frisbee and I found that to be easier to control when I first started. Also don't be afraid to get into the heavier discs, especially with the wind that you have to deal with. Right now my go to driver is a 175 valkyrie, not saying start out there, but don't be afraid to get her into the high 160's. Hope some of this was a little useful.

Hippy,

Thanks for the mature, thoughtful reply! Quite apropos given your wave quote. You must be very lonely.

When you are ready to surf some real waves, come out to Pismo ...

I will just buy a variety of discs ranging from 150-165 for new players to try. Guess this topic has been beaten to death already...

Hippy,

Thanks for the mature, thoughtful reply! Quite apropos given your wave quote. You must be very lonely.

When you are ready to surf some real waves, come out to Pismo ...

I will just buy a variety of discs ranging from 150-165 for new players to try. Guess this topic has been beaten to death already...

Yeah hippy seems to be quite the ladies man.

Others with actual responses,

Thanks!

roadtripstuff, If you haven't played Belmont in Dayton and the courses over there, def take a trip! I love my Leopard, so I will let her try that and continue to let her work with the 149g DX Cobra.

Just want to give her some discs that will provide the best opportunity to learn and grow.

Thanks.

My girlfriend really likes 160 Discraft Comet and 160 Discraft Stratus she throws over 200 feet with both she does have a leopard and ecplise in her bag too for putters she has a soft magnet and a hard magnet shes does really good throwing right hand back hand

Me and my wife just started 2 months ago and we have tried a few different things for her. she is 5'4, 125. when she first started she could only throw about 100 feet but she now gets them out to 150-200 range.

Here is whats working out best

Driver
163 Discraft esp Impact (easy to control and easy to throw. feels like a cross between a driver/mid)

Mids
174 discraft X comet (Its an easy disc to throw if you have a noodle arm like me and my wife and it will teach her good form. it has immensly helped her and my game)

174 discraft buzz flx (good for wind and any shot she needs to end in a hard fade to the left)

Putter
Whatever feels good in her hands. my wife likes wizards.

She also has all the discs from the innova starting pack (150 leopard, 150 shark, 171 aviar) but likes the feel of her other discs better.

Others with actual responses,

Thanks!

roadtripstuff, If you haven't played Belmont in Dayton and the courses over there, def take a trip! I love my Leopard, so I will let her try that and continue to let her work with the 149g DX Cobra.

Just want to give her some discs that will provide the best opportunity to learn and grow.

Thanks.

Belmont is one of my favorite courses. I make the trip to dayton at least once a month, maybe more to play it.

Your best bet probably is to get her out, let her start trying all your discs for that matter, see what she likes and can throw the best. Probably any mid or fairway driver is going to be good, just remember not to push discs on here, just let her figure out what she likes and go with that, especially if you both are playing for fun.

My girlfriend really likes 160 Discraft Comet and 160 Discraft Stratus she throws over 200 feet with both she does have a leopard and ecplise in her bag too for putters she has a soft magnet and a hard magnet shes does really good throwing right hand back hand

Oh yeah almost forgot about discrap, lol. The stratus is definitely a great beginner disc. Another disc I forgot about is the Innova Panther, its a decent all around disc, somewhere between a driver and a mid. A friend of mine purchased one when she first started and seemed to have great luck with it.

Good beginners discs to start with are the Stingray, Stratus, Cobra, Panther, and Comet. If she's got wobble and is only going 100' +/-, the Leopard will be too much for her yet.

I've been playing for a couple of years and am throwing around 200' now. Most of my bag are discs in the 150 class just because they will fly farther with less effort than heavier discs. They also help to instill good throw mechanics as they're too light to mask errors - you have to throw them smoothly to keep them under control. Even with a full bag of discs, my mainstays are 150g Stingray, 164g Stratus, 165 g Buzzz, 164g Comet, 150g XL, and 165g Stalker. I rarely throw anything faster or heavier (except my putter).

If she really wants to learn, have her watch the Discraft videos and the Dan Beto driving video. She may also be well served by reading about grips and technique on DGR. A lesson with your local pro would also be a good start. You can work with her on developing a nice 4 finger power grip and pulling close to her chest, right around the upper bra line. Spend lots of time playing catch with putters to develop a smooth throw (so you don't kill each other), and throwing drives in an open field.....she'll learn more driving in a field than actually playing, at first, because she can just work on developing speed and power without worrying about hitting every tree in sight.

Last edited:
I've been taking my brother's gf- she's getting pretty good:)
Her favs so far are:
145 leopard
150 storm
150 shark
150 magnet
weights in the 160's may be better if wind is a concern.

Get her fly dye groove 166 that looks hood when thrown. I'll sell ya one cheap!!

Lighter discs maybe teebird. Lep is solid as well.

I'm not sure what "hood" is supposed to mean- but this is probably on my list of WORST discs to get for her.

Stick with the 150 class stuff. The cobra is really good to get a feel for things, so keep her on that. Then maybe bump her up to a 150ish Leopard for a bit. Don't go into speed nine drivers for a long time

I'm not sure what "hood" is supposed to mean- but this is probably on my list of WORST discs to get for her.

Stick with the 150 class stuff. The cobra is really good to get a feel for things, so keep her on that. Then maybe bump her up to a 150ish Leopard for a bit. Don't go into speed nine drivers for a long time

Don't go with the 150 class stuff. The wind out there will just tear her and these discs apart.

Ladies, my friend ashley is doing great but I would like to ask where are you ladies pulling across? She is currently pulling above her brests but I think she could get more from pulling under. Suggestions? Thanks

Ladies, my friend ashley is doing great but I would like to ask where are you ladies pulling across? She is currently pulling above her brests but I think she could get more from pulling under. Suggestions? Thanks

I pull across near the top, I would say at the top bra line as Volk stated earlier. I am about 5'3" and throw about 270-280 on the course.