• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance honesty....honestly.

How honest are you really in claiming how far you can huck a disc online?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nemmers

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
People here always say, "There's internet distance, and there's actual distance."

Since I grew up before Al Gore took the initiative to create the Internet, I'm pretty well-versed in the bravado that invariably accompanies the artificial social interaction that we call bulletin boards and Facebook.

That said, I have no illusions as to what the results of this poll will be. Asking people for honesty on the internet is no different than putting a long-distance phone call log beside the company phone in the break-room or requiring all gun owners to register their weapon(s) with the state. These things are only there to keep the honest people honest. Criminals and liars are going to do what they do and say what they say regardless of the "rules."

Nevertheless, I'm inclined to ask: How realio, trulio and for realzies are you when you talk here about how far you can throw?

Be honest.

Go...

When I talk about distance, I always mention a few things-

* Every day distance: Like I could go to a course right now and throw. This is usually something like 300 for Mids, 350 for Fairways, 400ish for Drivers.

* Good day distance: On a pretty good, above average day, I could get about an extra 50-100 feet on those distances. Mids about 350, Fairways 400, and Drivers getting near 500.

* Best day distance: On my best day, best day with good conditions and perfect throws. Mids still max around 350-375, Fairways nearly 450, and Drivers over 500.

Also, my longest drive ever was a Star Tern with a 20 mph tailwind at AM Worlds in Emporia, right around 600 feet. The hole was 676 feet and I was 70-80ish out on my drive. So that's just going off of the marked hole distance, however accurate that really is.

425' This is with my beat nuke on flat ground with a hyzer flip with no wind. I have thrown well past 500 down hill. Now can I do that every time....no. I have to get just the right amount of flip on it.

I'd like to think that I'm 100% honest. The reality is that I've never actually measured out my throws. Only paced them. I'm 6'2" and I have a fairly long stride. So, it's entirely possible that I throw farther than I think.

Either way, maxing out at around 300 is nothing to brag about. :)

im 100% honest. no point in lying. im not have a d measuring contest. if you know what i mean

I have a bad shoulder, and I have Tendonitis in my arm, so I can't throw like I used to. If I hit 300ft , I am having a good day, so I have to make it up with accuracy.

this thread is gonna solve the "internet distance" conundrum
:gross:

I put the "told a little white-lie" answer, mainly because when I'm measuring distances, is when I'm ON MY GAME, as in I've been playing frequently enough to stay in good form and such.

But lately that's not really been the case. I've been rather well for out of practice I am, but nowhere near where I should be.

I've got no reason to lie about it, so I don't. I have a measuring wheel so I know that I can accurately talk about my distances.

I pace out my farthest drives and long shots I've made. I'm 6' and size 11 shoe so it's pretty close to 3'. Using GPS is garbage and no one carries a walking roller measurement stick. Nobody should have to lie. It's only frisbee.

I have 2 holes on my home course that I base my average distances on because they are straight holes. I am not throwing major S-curves or anything, but the first one is how I judge my putters, and the second is how I judge my drivers.
The first is 300' on the button. I average pin deep with my Neutron Ion. Sometimes I'm long, sometimes I come up short.
The other hole plays down the length of a soccer field (tee is 125' before the field starts) and I have used GPS to measure the different lines on the field. The far end 18-yard box is exactly 440' in line with the tee/pin. If I throw past that line, I had a good drive. If I make it to the line, I'm happy. If I don't make it to the line, I'm disappointed in my throw and try to figure out what I did wrong. Usually, I am hyzer flipping a Boss and released too high.
All in all, I try to be as accurate as possible with my posts. The guys who have played with me know that what I say is true.
If I ever wanted to act like I can bomb it 545', I can legitimately say that, but I also have to concede that it was a one time throw and that it was a major downhill shot.
I'm a preacher, so honesty is part of what I preach, so I'd better live it too, whether on the course, or online.

I have played with quite a few people on this site and hope to do so again, so there wouldn't be much point in claiming imaginary feats online . . .

I'd like to make one thing clear, if I may: there IS a difference between farther and further. When comparing the distance thrown relative to another disc, you say one went farther than the other since it's a measurable distance. Further is used when expressing an immeasurable distance, for example, "I need to look into a subject further." I hear people on the course all the time using further to relate one throw to the other and I figured that since this thread is about distance, I'd try to make the grammatical error known to everyone in hopes of one day, eradicating the word from its improper use.

Why bother telling a lie about something that can be tested -- it's likely there's someone you know on this site, or someone who knows someone who knows you. You know?

But, who really cares anyway?

Most of my drives go 40' up, and then a smooth 60' to the left.

Last edited:

Latest posts