• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance honesty....honestly.

How honest are you really in claiming how far you can huck a disc online?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
it's interesting when people pace stuff out as measurements. Most people assume their stride is 3 feet. That means in 10 strides, you'd have walked 10 yards or 30 feet.

way back when i first started, i assumed my stride was the same, till one day i was walking across a football field, and i noticed it took me 15 strides to walk 10 yards. FWIW, i'm 5'10", have a 32" pant legs and wear 10.5 shoes.

I always took into account that my foot was 10½'' so I always took an extra pace and called it good. 11 paces w/ 5'10'' avg stride=33'' = 363'' or 10 paces @ 36''= 360''. Not really into the measuring unless I'm gauging progress. A nice long drive in an asset but realistically how many long drives do you have. MOST shots are more mid and accuracy plays a bigger part. Not having a beast arm I guess I'm satisfied with what I got. No need to put myself in a league I couldn't compete in. My a$$ learned a lesson about covering my mouth's checks a looong time ago.

Yeah, pacing only works if you have learned what 3 feet is in how far apart you have to place your steps. It's not just walking out and counting the steps. Some will have to really stretch.

Pacing is a skill that can be learned and practiced and honed to perfection (+/- 10' over 1000' trials), it's something I was tested on in college (Forest Field skills for a Parks and Recreation degree) - it's slightly more than walking, but it's not forcing yourself to take 3 foot strides, rather measuring your natural pace and applying it to the world. For example my stride (left foot to right foot) is exactly 2.5' my pace (from where my right foot leaves the ground to where my right foot touches the ground) is nearly exactly 5', I often check myself and come within 1' on a 300some foot hole, I am extremely confident in my ability to pace accurate distance, especially over relatively flat clear terrain.

Oh, and my on topic post. I honestly threw a drive 1500' once, with video evidence to prove it.

I don't embellish distances online.

450 quite easily
500 if I really want to rip on it
500+ every once in a while.

Maxed at 590 in a distance comp. Also threw 570, 550, and 530 in that same comp trying to qualify

If I told a lie you can blame Google Earth. Anytime I sink a long putt or bomb a drive I Google Earth it when I get home. I don't count rollers or down hill tosses.

Drive: 395 +/- (Champ Beast 172)

Putt: 25ft +/- (DX Aviar 175)

450 quite easily
500 if I really want to rip on it
500+ every once in a while.

Maxed at 590 in a distance comp. Also threw 570, 550, and 530 in that same comp trying to qualify

Why wouldnt you "really want to rip on it" :D

Im still pushing for 500.. 470 is my longest drive currently. Gonna need to get some more footage of myself to see what im doing wrong.. and what i can do to hit 500 and beyond.

Golf lines 375ish RHBH. Perfect conditions with a good throw just over 400. No idea what my longest throw is. Golf lines 325ish RHFH. 350 RHFH max.

Why wouldnt you "really want to rip on it" :D

Im still pushing for 500.. 470 is my longest drive currently. Gonna need to get some more footage of myself to see what im doing wrong.. and what i can do to hit 500 and beyond.

Ehh, Im tall 6' 6" and i take a big run up normally and to really rip into it i need almost 2 tee pads in length which normally can't be found.

it's interesting when people pace stuff out as measurements. Most people assume their stride is 3 feet. That means in 10 strides, you'd have walked 10 yards or 30 feet...

mmmm, i'm not talking my natural stride. i hear what you're saying, though. since i practice on a football field i focus on making sure i'm pacing 1 yard each step the whole way down.

i'm 6'2 so it's not a huge stretch, but yeah. pretty much nobody that isn't freakishly tall has a natural 3 foot stride. it puts your foot too far out in front of you to be comfortable.

People here always say, "There's internet distance, and there's actual distance."

Since I grew up before Al Gore took the initiative to create the Internet, I'm pretty well-versed in the bravado that invariably accompanies the artificial social interaction that we call bulletin boards and Facebook.

...Criminals and liars are going to do what they do and say what they say regardless of the "rules."

Nevertheless, I'm inclined to ask: How realio, trulio and for realzies are you when you talk here about how far you can throw?

Be honest.

Go...

Members of the Internet Liars Union (ILU) take offence at being lumped into the same group as common criminals. Next thing you know you will be equating internet truth stretchers, as they prefer to be called, with homosexuals, pedephiles and zoophiles. If you don't appologize they may call for your dismissal from this forum. :D

But to answer your question... I am a firm believer in the old adages "Your lies will find you out." and "Honesty is the best pollocy". Besides, nobody listens to what I say anyway.

I know that I can't throw incredibly far and I max out around 300'. Hopefully I will increase my distance when it's not the ice planet Hoth outside. Winter is good for catching up on technique videos and such but it just makes me want to get out and throw even more!

I've always attempted 100% honesty.

Sometimes I did report the wrong D, especially a few years ago when I was getting started, due to ignorance of the listed hole length, conflicting measurements for a hole on scorecards / teesigns / DGCR etc., but overall I think I've been accurate, and have always been willing to back it up with videos and in person demonstrations.

mmmm, i'm not talking my natural stride. i hear what you're saying, though. since i practice on a football field i focus on making sure i'm pacing 1 yard each step the whole way down.

i'm 6'2 so it's not a huge stretch, but yeah. pretty much nobody that isn't freakishly tall has a natural 3 foot stride. it puts your foot too far out in front of you to be comfortable.

careful with that, exagerated paces are highly innacurate over long distances. Natural pace is typically much more reliable.

Latest posts