• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do not forget your grandfather!

tom12003

Eagle Member
As a Sr. Grand (>65 yr old), I was able to hit those 250-300' water carries a dozen years ago, but as age ravages almost everyone, I need a reasonable bail out area (I'll take a bogey versus a splash out—bogey plus). I routinely hit (casual rounds) in the low 900+ ratings (good days around 935+; bad days mid 850s).

In designing courses, think about everyone who might play, not just the young guns on the super Gold courses. We all need a level of enjoyment. A month ago, I just missed a 20' birdie putt on #12 on Winthrop Gold (par 5, 901', with the yellow ropes); young guns were after eagles—only in my dreams.

Designers often only think about challenging the young guns but rarely think about their grandfathers. I love a challenge but prefer throwing an accurate 225' drive and challenging for a par. Do not over design. Us old guys are a growing group; do not overtly discourage us; the sport needs the gray beards.

I find the shorter "middle" school-type courses to be lame (ace runs) and enjoy the greater challenges. Designing a 300' mando carry is the opposite.

What's better to see a bunch of gray beards beating a bunch of NO beards!

We do not stop playing because we are old,
We grow old because we stop playing. :thmbup:
Tom12003 :clap:

I salute you Gray Beards, for you are the founders of disc golf. We owe this game to you.

As a Sr. Grand (>65 yr old), I was able to hit those 250-300' water carries a dozen years ago, but as age ravages almost everyone, I need a reasonable bail out area (I'll take a bogey versus a splash out—bogey plus). I routinely hit (casual rounds) in the low 900+ ratings (good days around 935+; bad days mid 850s).

In designing courses, think about everyone who might play, not just the young guns on the super Gold courses. We all need a level of enjoyment. A month ago, I just missed a 20' birdie putt on #12 on Winthrop Gold (par 5, 901', with the yellow ropes); young guns were after eagles—only in my dreams.

Designers often only think about challenging the young guns but rarely think about their grandfathers. I love a challenge but prefer throwing an accurate 225' drive and challenging for a par. Do not over design. Us old guys are a growing group; do not overtly discourage us; the sport needs the gray beards.

I find the shorter "middle" school-type courses to be lame (ace runs) and enjoy the greater challenges. Designing a 300' mando carry is the opposite.

What's better to see a bunch of gray beards beating a bunch of NO beards!

Who let Tom out of his cage? Back, back I say. Now get your clipper batteries charged and I will see you at Blair Mill Parkthis Sunday at 10. We have lost our golfing edge but we can still build courses. This one will be right up your over 65 alley.

I agree w/ the OP completely.
And one would think that the more mature designers (or the ones that are getting older) would think along the same lines.
Only time will tell...;)

I agree w/ the OP completely.
And one would think that the more mature designers (or the ones that are getting older) would think along the same lines.
Only time will tell...;)

What does that mean? What is OP? Who is old? Why do I hurt so badly?

You remember OP, Andy's son in that old TV show from NC. Weren't you in some of those barber shop scenes?

i remember a conversation with some youngsters out at the driving range at our course ...
they were all impressed with themselves, comparing their distances to mine and giving me a hard time saying "we can do this old boy and you can't". "we can do that old boy and you can't".
finally i just looked over at them, standing there all full of themselves and said.
"you know boys there is ONE thing you can do that i surely cannot..."
"yeah, whats that old man?"

" DIE YOUNG!! " :p
"now shut up and let's go play."

You remember OP, Andy's son in that old TV show from NC. Weren't you in some of those barber shop scenes?

No. I lived in northern VA/Wash. DC area at that time and have only been in the Charlotte scene less than 2 years--however helped install 4+ courses here..

I guess two questions: Do you play red/white tees or blue/gold and do these courses have those tees to play on?

Tees should accommodate the different skill levels.. not the holes.
I certainly agree with 200-300' for red.. and some white.

I guess two questions: Do you play red/white tees or blue/gold and do these courses have those tees to play on?

Tees should accommodate the different skill levels.. not the holes.
I certainly agree with 200-300' for red.. and some white.

Most of our courses have blue+ tees and I frequently try to play all that have gold tees. For instance Hornets Nest (SSA around 54) has a harsher course superimposed on it--Charlotte Web (SSA around 69), play both but usually mix them up (play Web on 3, 10, 11, and 18; the Web and Nest share holes 7, 8, 9, 12, 14 and 15).

You missed the point in my original post (OP for Stan). Its not about the overall distance or difficulty of a hole but having a design that forces shots beyond one's current ability (e.g., 280'+ water carries without a "bail-out" alternative for the old guys or newbies). An example I like was implemented by the designer (Chainsaw Rob Kelly) of the Scrapyard course; even though he installed a shorter water safe "Tom tee" (after me), I still throw from the regular tee (albeit laying up a 120' shot near the Tom tee and then usually getting a 4, those that try the 280' water carry often also get 4s or worse but also can get birdies).

You missed the point in my original post (OP for Stan). Its not about the overall distance or difficulty of a hole but having a design that forces shots beyond one's current ability (e.g., 280'+ water carries without a "bail-out" alternative for the old guys or newbies). ).

I've never played a hole that forced you to carry over water that far. How common are holes like this in general?

If I was faced with such a task, I'd just skip the hole.

@ Tom, are the water carries at Scrapyard really that long? I would have never guessed more than about 240 or 250.

Agreed. They are fair. But that 2nd one is a tough landing zone. Even a good drive can be punished.

As a long time player but still young compared to the OP, with having torn ligaments in my elbow back in 2010 and having my knee rebuilt after I blew the knee earlier this year, I understand wanting some challenge but not having all be so easy.

Im finding a lot more new courses going superlong with crazy carries with no short alternatives.

Latest posts