• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you know what Disc Golf lacks?

Every DG course needs a cute beer wench:
DSC03881.jpg

Disc golf and ball golf are very similar in almost every respect
^
This is where you lost me.

Both games share the objective of taking something, and moving it from a starting point to a finishing point in as few attempts as possible. A number of formats work well in both games. That's about it.

If you are on Hilton Head in a couple of weeks at the Heritage, hang out at the Quarterdeck under the lighthouse Thursday - Saturday night and you will see the difference in dg and traditional golf and why the Pros hang out there after their rounds. Over the past 25 years I have seen three different players (including the winner of major) leading the tournament on Saturday in the place at midnight and go on to lose the tournament on Sunday because of all the fun being had. Some of the best memories of life happened during Heritage week and seeing Andrew Magee and Fulton Allem in action there are two of the wildest memories I have.

Attachments

• harbourtown quarterdeck.jpg
    harbourtown quarterdeck.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 56
Even on courses where the fairways are neat and mowed, sometimes shots you'd expect to skip don't. What's the difference between a shot not skipping on grass when you expect a skip; vs a sand trap? You don't get a skip, so what? You're still lying in the same spot you threw to.

Beer carts don't always =hotwenches as the golfers found out when I used to be the ugliest beerwench ever at a ballgolf course. lol 300lb male beer cart driver is probably not what they had envisioned. :gross:

greens seem like too much trouble to make them similar to ball golf. and it is a different sport but maybe a spray painted 10 m circle or even a "green" shape marked out with the same rules as the circle. also I think some courses could really benefit from some more marked OB but there would have to be someone to keep all that up, and that may be the issue. but a painted or marked out 10 m circle giving a visible "green" would be pretty awesome

To the OP, I'd say dg lacks the chip shot more so than greens. The point of sand traps are to mess with the contact of the club to the ball. I don't know how you can mess with the grip of disc from a "sand trap" or hazard, other than making them wear a glove or use a special disc.

For the rest of you that want beer, come to my course, it's on a brewery.

I know what DG lacks... ridiculous greens fees. If you want manicured greens, sand traps, club houses and all the other trappings of ball golf then be prepared to pony up $25+ per round just like ball golf. I say no thanks, I like it the way it is. I can play a couple of rounds a week, even bring my wife and kid along to play and not have to skip any meals to pay for it. :hfive:

I know what DG lacks... ridiculous greens fees. If you want manicured greens, sand traps, club houses and all the other trappings of ball golf then be prepared to pony up $25+ per round just like ball golf. I say no thanks, I like it the way it is. I can play a couple of rounds a week, even bring my wife and kid along to play and not have to skip any meals to pay for it. :hfive:

Eye opening statement.

I'm not a fan of use of the word "greens" in reference to the putting area in disc golf. They're not green, they're not a different, specially tended surface. Why do people say "the greens are fast on that course?" Doesn't make sense. That said, if you're building/maintaining a course, I don't have any problem with you adding some difficulty by adding obstacles. That's a design decision.

People like to borrow ball golf terms, you just have to get used to it. Some courses do have fast green and others have slow greens.

Haha, fun feedback everyone.

To Sidewinder22, good point. I think the idea of a chip shot is actually what I'm getting at with greens. Your comment about sand traps messing with the contact of club to ball is exactly right. I think sand traps would have the same effect here though. Traps outside of the circle mean golfers are looking for extra power (Uli's and Feldberg's step through putt, Nikko's jump putt etc...). All of those techniques are based on getting that extra power from the ground. Sand complicates that power transfer.

Also, I never thought of it but mulch is great alternative to sand with a low budget, AKA disc golf. Further, I don't think that creating courses with greens would change the current state of affairs with the rest of the free to play, non-green having courses that currently exist. They would all stick aroundd

Beer carts don't always =hotwenches as the golfers found out when I used to be the ugliest beerwench ever at a ballgolf course. lol 300lb male beer cart driver is probably not what they had envisioned. :gross:

But he brought you beer...right?

Also, we don't only have to use sand. We could use a half moon of hedgerow or shrubbery instead. A good example of the idea of a green that we probably all know is the bamboo hole at the USDGC. That hole creates a situation where throwing a specific shot and landing inside a well defined zone gives you a distinct advantage to hole out. Whether or not a bamboo wall is gimmicky or not is a different discussion.