• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you "nice" to be nice?

I always think it's funny when people talk about "nicing" a disc. It's funny because it is so stinking true! If I nice a disc in the air, almost guarantee it's going to hit a tree, and then I feel bad. If it actually is a great shot, I usually just watch the disc in amazement until it lands, then I can mudder the words "nice shot". I don't mind it when people "nice" my disc because it was most likely going to hit some freaking tree anyway.

I am guilty of "nicing" when playing with newer players as a source of encouragement. Half the time I think they catch on and I just shut up.

When I say nice shot I really mean it. When certain people I play with struggle, I shut up because I know they get more pissed off when I try to encourage them.

why are people saying nice before the disc lands anyways? it might not be nice and could get real mean/ugly after a skip or a roll from landing. Its only a nice shot once completed.

lol.

I think i might be Mr.NiceGuy

why are people saying nice before the disc lands anyways? it might not be nice and could get real mean/ugly after a skip or a roll from landing. Its only a nice shot once completed.

lol.

I think i might be Mr.NiceGuy

I would disagree with it being "only a nice shot once completed." I've seen plenty of great throws get knocked away by an invisible branch or taking a nasty roll because they landed oddly on a rock.

That being said, I would never be angry with anyone saying "nice shot" to me unless they were trying to be an a$$ about it. When I say nice to someone else I am genuine about it and I usually say it because I'm excited for their shot! I like to see other people play well.

If you're just saying it to be nice, then hey, you're a nice guy. Who's gonna get pissed at a nice guy, who's merry and happy go lucky?

Plus, if someone gets genuinely mad at being "niced", they're probably an asshat, and should be mocked openly anyway.

This. I say it pretty often. And if I "nice" them prematurely, I'll apologize for causing the flight to go suddenly and horribly wrong. Then we'll all have a chuckle.

My uncle had a saying my whole family knows, and most times I try to live by.

"It's nice to be nice."

Because a slight deviation in the angle of the release or wind or any number of environmental factors, I will "nice" someone if their form, release, and snap are solid. To me, that constitutes a nice shot, when those components line up. From there, whether the disc smashes the chains or hits that ONE iron leaf that totally redirects the shot, the form was still solid which deserves kudos.

This mostly goes for AM players. When Pros or someone who SHOULD be placing the shots well doesn't get the same love.

Most people I play with around here, and visitors from out of town, all joke about being "niced". I think it's funny how often it seems to have an affect on the flight of a disc, but if anyone around me ever takes it seriously I'll most probably make fun of them to the point they walk off the course. (or knock me on my ass)

Don't get pissed about some one trying to be friendly or nice or complimentary. :)

Also, I never nice just to be nice.

Most people I play with around here, and visitors from out of town, all joke about being "niced". I think it's funny how often it seems to have an affect on the flight of a disc, but if anyone around me ever takes it seriously I'll most probably make fun of them to the point they walk off the course. (or knock me on my ass)

Don't get pissed about some one trying to be friendly or nice or complimentary. :)

Also, I never nice just to be nice.

"nice" post!

its more fun to try and control the flight by yelling things at. no one can get mad about that and you only end with a nice then. No more pre-landing nice curses just flight path encouragement.

Problem solved!

Turn!!! come on' FLIIIP! now SIIIT! nice'