• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you play for money?

Do you put your money where your mouth is?

• No...never!

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • Only if i think i can beat my opponent....

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • If the guy is pushing my buttons.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Im hardcore. bring on any bet you want!

Votes: 40 44.4%

• Total voters
I believe DG is the only sport I've played that I haven't gambled at (YET!).

I started gambling at bowling when I was 11 and playing pool for money when I was 13 years old. From the time I was 16, I was hard core and gambled at every sport I played (pool, bowling, golf, tennis, raquetball, table tennis, basketball, etc.)

In my early 30's, I quit my job and spent the next three years out on the road hustling pool. My road partner and I went through all 48 states, up into Canada and down into Mexico in our travels.

My gambling habit got so bad from my mid 20's to my 40's, I wasn't interested in playing anything unless there was some kind of wager on the outcome. Hell, it got so bad, I couldn't run more than 70% unless there was $$$ on the line. Playing for free = BORING!!!!!

I burned out and quit serious gambling about 5 years ago. I'd lost what meant the most to me earlier in my life: THE LOVE OF THE GAME and I wanted that back.

I discovered DG a little over a year ago. I doubt I will ever bet a dime at it because I love the game and want to keep it that way. That and the fact that I'm mediocre at the game at best. I'd probably lose every dime I've got. LOL

Woodpecker < may be willing to come out of retirement if someone offered me three strokes a side and bet high enough. (Just kidding!!)

I would play in minis and stuff for sure.

But I'm not good enough to play for cash because people that DO play for cash would WRECK ME.

I'm just too new to be worrying about winning money. I can hold my own with many people, but when you put me against the people that have been playing for 2-5 years I just can't pull through.

Right now I'm working on my mids and putters a lot. Really limited bag. Trying to improve my shot selection and ability to get my form really solid.

It's helping. I screwed up a few holes REALLY BAD at MCC yesterday, took 2 penalty strokes, and still shot a 73. Which if you play "am par" (par 3 = par 4, par 4= par 5 etc) means I shot 2 under...

So there's still lots of room for improvement, but I'm working on it. Someday I'll give yall a run for your money ;)

\/\/

I would play in minis and stuff for sure.

But I'm not good enough to play for cash because people that DO play for cash would WRECK ME.

I'm just too new to be worrying about winning money. I can hold my own with many people, but when you put me against the people that have been playing for 2-5 years I just can't pull through.

Right now I'm working on my mids and putters a lot. Really limited bag. Trying to improve my shot selection and ability to get my form really solid.

It's helping. I screwed up a few holes REALLY BAD at MCC yesterday, took 2 penalty strokes, and still shot a 73. Which if you play "am par" (par 3 = par 4, par 4= par 5 etc) means I shot 2 under...

So there's still lots of room for improvement, but I'm working on it. Someday I'll give yall a run for your money ;)

\/\/

Actually pro-par is listed as 74 so you were only 1 under :p. Most play it as a par 56, so we were just "a couple strokes" over par :)

I used to play for money with some guys in Houston all the time starting when I was 13 and I took a good beating for a while but when I was 15 I started winning most of the time and now they won't play anymore.

Same type of thing happened when I used to play the best Pro Master in the state for "Lunch Money" and I would beat him maybe 25-30% of the time but now he even admits to not wanting to play me anymore...............but he is right in saying that he motivated me to get better.

You wouldn't ask that if you saw my drives. But I am going to play a couple tourney's this year. I tend to perform better when something is at stake.

Never played for money, but my weekly Sunday round with friends, lunch is on the line. Loser buys!

Oh Boston Market...

Always.
Usually nothing more than $1 per round (9 holes) or .25 skins.

Here in SF everyone plays for money (usually $1).....and $1 Mulligan add ons. :D

i've found that it really helps you get to another level. it helps you make better shot selections and understand the risk/reward aspect of the game. We always agree on the "rules" before hand, but more often than not its the standard - no mulligans, OB rules, etc...

A lot of times, based on the game, guys end up with a "push" or owing nothing. <- This happens A LOT with random doubles through 9 holes.
If you are playing skins, if you are "decent" you can end up not owing more than a dollar or so.

When we play doubles, or spontaneous tourneys, a lot of guys say, "i'm gonna lose....i dont want to do that" the response is always - "Paying $1 is a cheap lesson."

I always think that when i lose it was a dollar well spent

Last edited:
Yeah mostly - seems like most of the events I enter are of the $100 variety. Played a few B/C Tiers this year - but mostly the bigger ones. I like the challenge :) Cashed in every event I played this year.

Me and a bud from Michigan have an ongoing bet like this......... whoever aces while we're playing together, the other buys lunch at White Castle. :gross:

yea i dont want the pressure of playing for money...i would buy my friend lunch anytime anyway so its m ostly bragging rights while eating

I have never played for money or even competitively other than my own score. I think I would start taking the game too seriously and forget how to have fun if I let it get too competitive so I have to be carefull with that.

I certianly wouldn't trun down a reasonable challenge for money, within reason say 20 bucks a round.