• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you play solo rounds, and if so how does it change your round?

Title pretty much speaks for itself, I play solo rounds a lot, mostly due to not having many dedicated discing friends. How are your solo rounds different?

I have a lot of disc golf friends and I play with them as often as I can, mostly because disc golf is a very social sport and, like sex, it's always more fun to play with company. However, I play solo rounds at least three times a week because there's a course five minutes from my job that allows me to get in 18 holes on my lunch break.

My solo rounds seem to be no different than what others have said here. I use them as practice to work on my form and practice shots I wouldn't otherwise try were I playing in a tournament or tag match.

Usually fly solo. Have one friend that will play occasionally but he is newly married and has a kid so that doesn't happen often. Can't get any of my other friends into dg, but I don't mind doing my own thing. I don't throw extra shots unless I throw something terrible. That's what field practice is for.

I started last spring and knew nobody who played - plus I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere but with a course close by. This lead me to play most of the spring / summer with solo rounds.

I typically play 2 discs as there is rarely other traffic on the course (typically 2 diff tees). 1 as my MAIN which is as I'd play it in a serious round which I always keep score and play to the rules. Only exception is I will sometimes send a second disc from the lie to test a diff line / etc but I always play the first. The second 'disk' I typically play experimentally with odd discs, new lines, etc. I don't always keep score on it.

9 out of 10 rounds, I play solo. I like social disc golf as a social activity. I like the game better when I play alone.

My solo rounds are for practicing, so I rarely keep score, often throw multiple shots from a tee/lie, and never hesitate to skip holes I don't feel like playing. I'll play one-disc rounds, putters-only rounds, and other variants that force me to practice skills and play from parts of the course/fairway I might not otherwise see.

Me as well but I think you should do what you want. I rarely get to play much but when I do, I prefer to practice more when playing casually solo and throwing numerous shots from different areas. I also have played several courses blind during sanctioned tournaments only throwing shots and discs I am familiar with because I play safe unlike others who take crazy shots and chances that they may have seen but never practiced playing casual rounds with others. If I am familiar with a course, I will typically throw numerous shots that have given me problems during tournaments on the property (e.g., teeshots on #11 and #13 at Grand Central Station. I know if I can make 3 or 4 on these holes, I should stay close or pick up shots if I do not 2 the short holes). I think I got this as a jr traditional golfer growing up because I was always taught to practice numerous shots on certain holes and conditions such as rough, sand, etc. way more than play which is similar to PGA tour players. Something I have also never understood as well is ams traveling significant distances a few weeks before a tournament to play a short course (<= par 58 normally) they may have played numerous times. I have noticed players doing this breeze through courses instead of practicing certain holes for specific shots. The only time I witness even local players ever practicing shots repeatedly on a consistent basis is walking to holes during sanctioned tournaments (e.g., it seems the locals in the Columbia, SC area throw numerous shots and putt from the bridge on #6 at Crooked Creek in Chapin during events but from what I have heard, only a handful of players consistently do this outside of tournaments).

I have played with my dad, friends, and strangers. I think I prefer to play alone. 90% of my rounds are played that way. I go at my pace and play the course I want to play every time. And I don't spend half my time in the weeds and briers helping find errant discs for my "grip it and rip it" buddy who has a big arm and very little control.

I usually play better by myself. I'm more relaxed. I throw multiples and sometimes I keep where I am in relation to par in my head. If I make multiple triple or quadruple bogies (which is becoming more rare), I just play and don't think about par.

Part of the reason I took up disc golf in the first place is because it did not require me to have a group of people to play with. So I dropped Ultimate and took up Disc Golf. I play a lot of solo rounds, especially during nicer times of the year. The pace is much faster but I am also more apt the throw some additional practice throws.

Seems there's a lot of us who play alone.

When I'm out on the course, I see more people playing alone when I do, in the morning, during the week. But in the afternoon, weekends, and especially on holidays, I almost always see groups together.

In the summer, about 2/3 of my rounds are solo rounds (I rarely play solo in the winter due to short weekdays). That's when I play my putter only, all forehand or one disc rounds. This summer, I'm going to work on rollers when the grass is cut.

Solo rounds aren't just good for my game, but also good for my mood. Playing without the pressure of competition is calming to my mind. It's just that shot. Sure I want that shot to be a good one, but I learn even more from mistakes. When competing, I don't take as many chances, so my game doesn't improve as much as it does when playing solo.

just me and the course

its all focused in on the task at hand. i sometimes prefer it as i can play a two disc(after the drive) ill normally take two shots from each lie. allowing me to work on different shots from the same spot. I just plug in the headphones and throw away. the one thing that sucks is looking for errant discs:( my usual partner has a bloodhound nose for finding discs.

I seem to throw much better when other people are watching because I take less risks and thrive with pressure. On the other hand, I go all out and try new shots when playing by myself so that is vital to developing my game and learning new shots.

Gotta have it both ways.

During the week i only play solo 'rounds' although they aren't really rounds as they are practice sessions. I'll throw multiple drives (sometimes up to 10) and put out three putters from each drive. After 5 holes i've thrown 50ish drives and 150 putts. Efficient practice time for me.

And no i don't hold anyone up and not let them play through. Most people at my home course know me and what I am doing.

frequently, and although it's okay, i dislike how fast i finish my rounds. i much prefer to play with people so i frequently ask if i may join up.

if i can't or don't feel like it and the course is emptyish, i will usually throw an extra drive or approach here and there, get to know my discs better. it's time to learn, time to gain experience and really nerd out and experiment.

Only difference for me is I have less motivation to get out on bad weather days if I'm alone. If a friend calls to get in a round, I have a hard time saying no despite the cold/rain.

I play solo all the time. I play better solo usually. Less pressure, chill. Sometimes I'll throw multiples.

I play about 80% solo rounds, as I work nights and weekends and seemingly no one else does (sob).
I find that, much like many others on here, I throw much better when alone. My putts are much more casually accurate. Natural. I will throw multiple shots about half of the time, but my personal rule is Always Play the First Shot. No matter how many multiples I throw, I play out the first shots. Keeps me honest with myself.

Solo rounds, throwing multiple discs is the only way that I have ever lost discs (I fish my own out of the water as needed). Sometimes I just forget a disc on the fairway and walk off. It's very easy to do that :/

Holy crap. Please tell me I'm not the only person that has laughed all the way through this thread. I think the ban hammer has almost killed the funny up in here. Y'all are some self gratifying fools.

Anyways, with a course at the house I would say 90% of my rounds are solo. I enjoy rounds with others more though.

Latest posts