• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you play solo rounds, and if so how does it change your round?

WestTNDiscGolf

Bogey Member
Title pretty much speaks for itself, I play solo rounds a lot, mostly due to not having many dedicated discing friends. How are your solo rounds different?

I play solo rounds all the time. Aside from the faster pace, there's not much difference.

I play a lot of solo rounds, primarily because my free time to play is usually in the morning and most of my disc golf friends are either working or are late risers.

My solo rounds are for practicing, so I rarely keep score, often throw multiple shots from a tee/lie, and never hesitate to skip holes I don't feel like playing. I'll play one-disc rounds, putters-only rounds, and other variants that force me to practice skills and play from parts of the course/fairway I might not otherwise see.

I play solo rounds all the time for the same reasons you describe.

Mostly, I play my normal game, but I take extra shots with discs I'm trying out. I practice shots I do't normally take, rollers, forehand and the like.

One of my favorite solo games is to play 4 discs against 4 others. I keep notes and I learn how all those discs fly. Some get bounced and then another is tried the next round.

I play a lot of putter/mid rounds too with multiple discs.

Love having an unoccupied weekday course to play at will on.

My solo rounds are for practicing, so I rarely keep score, often throw multiple shots from a tee/lie, and never hesitate to skip holes I don't feel like playing. I'll play one-disc rounds, putters-only rounds, and other variants that force me to practice skills and play from parts of the course/fairway I might not otherwise see.

That's me, exactly. We should play a solo round together some day.

^^^ This. Plus, I can play much faster solo. Plus, I can play long tee on one hole, short tee on another, depending which is most fun or useful.

The main thing I miss on solo rounds is a second set of eyes to help track down where all of the multiple shots landed . . .

Most of my rounds are solo, as my play time is squeezed in between family stuff- I find that I play better solo, kind of like people who sing better in the shower. When I am just out enjoying myself without a second set of eyes on me, the lack of any sort of pressure to perform well does good for my score.

For me the only thing that really changes is how long it takes to play.

I play solo alot due to my work schedule and family obligations. It doesn't really change my rounds much. I do find that bad shots and missed putts don't bother me as I'm the only one who saw it. I will say it SUCKS to not have someone see the good shots though. I've had 2 aces the past few weeks and nobody saw them but me.

I typically play solo rounds on the weekdays in the summer since I'm off by 3 and most of my usual group is working till 5. When I do I don't keep score and I usually carrying 5-6 more discs than I would carry any other time to practice new lines. Like if I know I've been successful with a particular shot on a givin hole I throw the complete opposite with all the discs in my bag that fit that shot and even discs that I typically wouldn't throw for a particular shot. Like trying to flick my kite on an obvious RHBH hyzer hole or a backhand roller with a slightly beat PD. Granted these rarely work out to my liking but when they do and I can repeat them I get all warm and fuzzy on the inside lol

Early morning weekend solo rounds, especially on wooded courses, are awesome. Empty course, lots of nature around you, and if you can throw that extra shot any time you damn well feel like it.

Thanks for all the replies, sometimes I shy away from solo rounds but now as I look back they were some of the most peaceful and truly fun rounds I've had. I also tend to throw many shots in solo rounds, it seems more fun to be able to see al the new plastic you never throw in tourneys get put to use

Also like to play solo rounds to test discs.

Awhile ago, I played two rounds back to back using only a Drone and a Gator to see which is best for me. Drives, forehand, rollers, flex shots, upshots and even putting. Love to see how discs fly.

I have late fall/winter/early spring off, and due to travel, inclement weather, most friends having day jobs, and the rest being broken-down old men who want to take 4 hours for a round, I play a lot of solo rounds.
Grotto, jc and stardoggy pretty much describe the method of my play and reasons for enjoyment. I really like a new course either alone or with one or two true locals.

I play a lot of solo rounds, primarily because my free time to play is usually in the morning and most of my disc golf friends are either working or are late risers.

This.

sounds right. If the course is empty ill even just throw discs from tees to spots I wish there were baskets, mostly just to watch the different discs fly and try to make them all land in the same place with different shots.

I also play rounds "tournament style" but its more of a focus on the holes/courses vs learning shots/discs. Playing the casual rounds throwing multiple drives allows me to learn what shot is best and then use the serious rounds to try and execute what was previously practiced.

If the course isn't busy, playing safari holes is really fun. Our local course is never that busy and a few of us have a fantasy safari layout that we play occasionally. Some of the best holes that could have existed on a course reveal themselves with no constraints on crossing fairways or other conflicts.

I play a lot of solo rounds too. I loosely keep score just to keep myself in check. I enjoy playing with at least one other person more, but getting out for solo practice time has really helped my overall game. When I play alone I tend to have a slower pace and concentrate on my disc selection, lines and my form. I also seem to get less frustrated when I make mistakes.

I play solo rounds a lot, often with no one in front of me on the course. I have my best rounds solo, because you can develop a rhythm, stay focused, and play at your own pace. Certainly, improve your game this way, but at the same time, you don't do as well as soon as you play with others, or certainly if you play a tournament.

Latest posts