• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you tap-in during casual rounds?

During tournament season I putt everything out, basically just to make a habit out of it. At the same time, I don't get mad if someone in casual league wants to pick up a gimmie for me.

I always putt out. The hole is not over till the disc is in the basket.

Tourneys, bagtags, doubles, leagues---I've never seen anyone not putt out correctly, with money on the line.

Casual rounds, we occasionally putt each other out if we're inside 6-7 feet, or brush the chains for a drop in.

When I play alone, I might get lazy and brush the chains, but I'll continue to putt out if my score is looking good and I have a chance to improve on my best score for the course. However, when I'm on one of my 3-5 day course-bagging trips, where I often play 3-4 courses a day, I might not putt out under 15'-20' with this reasoning in mind: I'm there to get a feel for the course and its environs, one putt inside the circle is pretty much the same as another*, and I didn't drive 500 miles to practice putting.

*Unless, of course, the baskets are elevated, hanging, jailhouse, creekside or unusual in structure, in which case I may throw several putts to extend the entertainment!

Last edited:
it is a casual round... I could not care less what another player wants to do. If they are cheating themselves welp its on them im out playing the course.

Also i dont see how 10' is a "tap-in"... That's too far for rec gimmes.

Last edited:
Casual rounds by myself or warming up before a tournament or league, otherwise known as situations where I'm not keeping track of score in the slightest, I will pick up a putt here or there, usually to just keep things moving. But if score is being kept, whether I'm alone or with others, competitive or casual, I will putt everything out. Doesn't matter if others want to give me the putt, I like the satisfaction of putting out to make my score "true".

As for others doing it, as long as it's 100% casual (not even a friendly wager), I couldn't care less. The way I see it, the players who might beat me aren't going to be bragging/taunting me about it, and those that do think beating me is significant enough to brag/taunt me probably aren't going to beat me even if they do pick up their 20 footers. Either way, them picking up doesn't affect me in the least.

For truly casual rounds with friends I'll pick up anybody inside of 10'. Who wants to see their friend miss a 10' putt? In addition my home course has a ton of elevation change. Several holes where the basket is up high on a hill where after holing out you head back down said hill to go to the next tee. A park job on a drive or up shot rewards the player with not having to trek up another hill because of a pickup.

It all depends. Most of my casual rounds are solo. If I'm in a hurry (quick round before work, battling darkness after work, what have you) I will probably pick up all putts inside of 10' for speed of play. If I'm not in a hurry, I'll putt out most everything except for the occasional drop in.

Casual is casual.

I'm almost superstitious about my disc actually touching all of the baskets during a round. Even if a friend picks up my gimmie putt... I'll usually run over and just tap the chains with my disc to keep the mojo clean.

Something about it not feeling like a 'complete' hole if the disc doesn't touch the basket. OCD??? Quite possibly.

If it's within arm's reach, I'll touch the chains & move on. Otherwise I'll putt it out, even from like 5'.

I'm almost superstitious about my disc actually touching all of the baskets during a round. Even if a friend picks up my gimmie putt... I'll usually run over and just tap the chains with my disc to keep the mojo clean.

Something about it not feeling like a 'complete' hole if the disc doesn't touch the basket. OCD??? Quite possibly.

This. The disc has to at least touch the chains. Even if I pick up someone's disc as a courtesy, I'll brush the chains with it for their mojo. If they pick mine up, I make sure they do the same.

I rarely play tournaments, the people I play with are very casual. Having said that, most of us will not consider anything outside 5' a gimme and will make the player putt it out. Inside 5" and we'll usually pick it up for them to save some steps.

We tap the rim with our disc if we are within arm's length, otherwise, we putt out.

Weren't there some pros that were campaigning to get a standard size box built around baskets as a "gimme" zone? It would be nice to have a 12' square frame around baskets filled with mulch. If you're inside the box, pick it up! It would speed up tourney play for sure. If you're missing inside of 6', you're having a BAD day.

I always tap out no matter how close for the most part. Not hearing the chains at the end of the hole makes me feel as though that hole was not played. If I am picking up it is usually because I am in a large group and if everyone tapped out every hole the pace of play slows wayyy down.

I'll take a c-tier courtesy pick-up. A 2-meter circle (instead of a box) around the pin would be nice. Other players pick me up all of the time from all kinds of distances since I'm such an awesome putter...haha! I call it the Enterprise Rent-A-Car phenomenon...they pick me up.

In golf ball golf, I would always putt out and did not give "gimme" putts to other players (otherwise they would assume 'gimme' putts at increasingly long distances).

Same in disc golf. Rather than swipe the chains, I try to put the disc in the basket without the disc touching the chains, if I can get that close. But I always putt out.

^this^ even though I'm only six months in,the "practice the same way as you would play"mantra resonates with me.I primarily play alone,but I still mark my lie,and putt out,always.

I almost always putt out, as well. I used to tap the chains or cage and call it good, but it just fell incomplete to do that. I've seen (and had) putts miss from a few feet and would rather train myself to focus and finish out the hole than assume I know what's going to happen.

We usually just pick up discs within 10 feet.

What irritates me more is when you let somebody else do your gimmie putt. We have one guy in our group who tells everybody that he'll bring their gimmies and then goes and makes all the gimmie putts for everybody.

If it is a gimmie, it's given and you dont have to make the shot. If you have to make the shot, it's not a gimmie.

I usually putt it out or drop it in. I usually just grab a random disc from my bag instead of marking. That said, I wouldn't have a problem with chain swiping being legal. If you're close enough that you can literally just drop it in the basket, then it's really just a formality at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts