• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you tap-in during casual rounds?

Im bad enough at putting that only recently has there been a gimme distance that was beyond arms length. I've always putted out or swiped the chains. Like others have said something about hitting chains that makes the hole feel complete. I don't like to leave it unfinished. In a truly casual round I will also putt with two putters almost every time.

In an A pool B pool weekly a while ago one of the A players picked me up a couple times from distances he thought were gimmes. I didn't say anything but was definitely outside my gimme distance back then. No harm no foul as I was outside the payout and didn't affect my placing but it still left me unsettled.

Sometimes, like for a 3 footer, I back up to 10-15 and putt it (assuming it was good from 3). Might as well practice since I am playing. I always putt out if I am not doing the above. I know this might sound contradictory.

If it's a practice round, no need to putt out as you are trying more to get familiar with the course, or finding lines, and trying new things.

In a casual round between friends, we usually say anything within 5 feet is a gimme. Speeds up play.

In casual rounds with wagers, putt everything out unless it's a drop in and you are out of position with the group. Someone will pick-up your disc as a courtesy. Also, courtesy is given to the scorekeeper if he is parked, as it will speed up that process a bit.

Leagues and tournys - everything gets putted.

Sometimes, like for a 3 footer, I back up to 10-15 and putt it (assuming it was good from 3). Might as well practice since I am playing. I always putt out if I am not doing the above. I know this might sound contradictory.

I actually really really like this idea...might have to adopt it.

Since I always play casual, never keep score, or make any type of wager I will pick up my disc at any point I feel like it. Of course with my messed up knee, it is more about reducing the number of times I have to stoop down to pick up a circle. I basically treat every hole as a separate round the I can win (birdie or better), tie (par) or lose. If i bend down to pick up too many "losers" my knee starts to hurt and reduce the number of holes i can play. Of course this is just on my "home course" where i have logged well over 2000 rounds in the last 7 years so skipping part of a hole that i have already played 2000 times does not really bother me.
If I am on a new or favorite course, i play anything I can't touch the chains with.

I actually really really like this idea...might have to adopt it.

Same, this is kinda brilliant and not sure why it would not have occurred to me to do the same.

Good idea. I play solo a lot and this would give me twice the putting practice.

Weren't there some pros that were campaigning to get a standard size box built around baskets as a "gimme" zone? It would be nice to have a 12' square frame around baskets filled with mulch. If you're inside the box, pick it up! It would speed up tourney play for sure. If you're missing inside of 6', you're having a BAD day.

I'm all about this and know a guy who played an event with a gimme circle. The box would need to be ground level though to prevent unlucky roll always and what not. I love it for speed of play, but I could see this looking a bit ridiculous/gimmecky (see what I did there) to a spectator though.

In an A pool B pool weekly a while ago one of the A players picked me up a couple times from distances he thought were gimmes. I didn't say anything but was definitely outside my gimme distance back then. No harm no foul as I was outside the payout and didn't affect my placing but it still left me unsettled.

A player from the other team? That's alright. They're conceding the stroke to you. I f dude was on your team, not OK unless agreed upon by the other team.

This is probably fodder for its own thread, but is speed/pace of play at such a crisis point that it necessitates gimmicks to speed the game up?

Seems to me that the notion of a gimme zone/box is more a crutch for laziness than something that would actually improve the game at all.

Since I always play casual, never keep score, or make any type of wager I will pick up my disc at any point I feel like it. Of course with my messed up knee, it is more about reducing the number of times I have to stoop down to pick up a circle. I basically treat every hole as a separate round the I can win (birdie or better), tie (par) or lose. If i bend down to pick up too many "losers" my knee starts to hurt and reduce the number of holes i can play. Of course this is just on my "home course" where i have logged well over 2000 rounds in the last 7 years so skipping part of a hole that i have already played 2000 times does not really bother me.
If I am on a new or favorite course, i play anything I can't touch the chains with.

Yo Tripp, go ahead a putt out. I got your pick up :p

We have a 'sensuous' rule for casual rounds- since you is right there after missing a 20-footer, go ahead and pick my disc up.

This is probably fodder for its own thread, but is speed/pace of play at such a crisis point that it necessitates gimmicks to speed the game up?
Not to derail... but I'd say we are getting there (or already there).

Tournament rounds are already PAINFULLY slow and some of the big tournament already have absurd issues with multiple group backups on particular holes. Nothing like a ~30+min break in the middle of your round.

Oh man. Same idea, but with my own drawbacks;

If I miss a putt I KNOW I should have made (15-20' unimpeded for example) I'll often re-putt if I'm alone. Not for my score, because I rarely keep track when I'm alone, but more for confidence and a reminder to concentrate on every aspect. Even the ones I know I should have down. If I miss a fifteen footer and move on, thinking "meh, that's okay, I'm just out for a solo." I cheat myself out of giving a shiii compared to rounds when it counts. I need those reminders some days that every putt counts. We've all seen guys not taking it seriously an miss a 5 footer. Hell, I've seen that in AM1 B-Tier tournaments.

TL;DR - Always keep that comp mindset.

Not to derail... but I'd say we are getting there (or already there).

Tournament rounds are already PAINFULLY slow and some of the big tournament already have absurd issues with multiple group backups on particular holes. Nothing like a ~30+min break in the middle of your round.

I won't argue that pace of play can be an issue, but is players taking too long to tap out their drop in putts even in the top 20 reasons why rounds run long?

Tournament pace is something that can probably be addressed with the current rules (more stringent enforcement of 30 seconds and 3 minutes on a lost disc) and more effective tournament operation (such as putting players/divisions on appropriate tees or courses for their skill level) before introducing gimmicks that change the way the game is played.

I won't argue that pace of play can be an issue, but is players taking too long to tap out their drop in putts even in the top 20 reasons why rounds run long?

Tournament pace is something that can probably be addressed with the current rules (more stringent enforcement of 30 seconds and 3 minutes on a lost disc) and more effective tournament operation (such as putting players/divisions on appropriate tees or courses for their skill level) before introducing gimmicks that change the way the game is played.

Why you hatin' on Philo? ;)

We usually just pick up discs within 10 feet.

What irritates me more is when you let somebody else do your gimmie putt. We have one guy in our group who tells everybody that he'll bring their gimmies and then goes and makes all the gimmie putts for everybody.

If it is a gimmie, it's given and you dont have to make the shot. If you have to make the shot, it's not a gimmie.

What if he misses?

Oh. Also, if I am alone I make sure TWO putts go in if it is longer than a drop in. Dial it in, physically and mentally. I always hold a second putter when I putt. So I make my putt. Then, if I'm not holding anyone up, I make another.

The object of the entire sport is to put your putter in the basket, after all.

Probably not. I guess I was just entertaining the other posters idea.

I agree that there plenty of other things that could be addressed first to speed up pace of play.

Latest posts