• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does age matter?

The only time I notice my age is it's tougher to play 3-4 rounds a day on road trips, and if they're particularly hilly or long courses, I feel it the next day, whereas I never felt it a few years ago.

I'll second this. I'm only 45, but I notice a huge difference in the number of rounds I can enjoy in one day. Back in my twenties, I played 120 holes the day I visited DeLaveaga. (4 x 27 plus some more holes until it got too damned dark to play anymore). I also remember playing 108 holes at George Wilson Park on the first nice day of 1998 (18 x 6!). I rarely play more than one round at a time anymore, might stretch that to 36 or 48 holes if I'm visiting a course with that many holes and I wouldn't want to leave without playing them all, of course.

The same goes for drinking beer! The fourth one definitely hurts now...Not the next day, but like the same friggin' night. Ugh.

On the upside, believe it or not, I'm a better player now. I used to muscle bug ugly forehands and tomahawks in my youth, still using that high school baseball arm, never taking the time to learn a proper clean RHBH form until 8 years ago or so. Gods, I wish I would have learned that 25 years ago.

54 and have been playing forever. It has been an odd journey to get to my age, within the game. As a young pup, the "technology" of the game really impacted my growth. (discs, baskets, courses, maintenance of course....). There was little in the way of opportunities to improve technique. We learned from one another on the courses....often, to bad results by trial and error. Going to see a national tournament and see Climo play was revolutionary.....as was the Discraft XL, lol.

It seems now that I find small things that clean up my form each season, yet age steals a tiny bit of my power and flexibility. As other players here have stated, "old man golf" consists of smart fairway play, a playbook of recovery shots to turn to and a practiced short game. Many have success with the light weight drivers, but I find most squirrely, especially in wind.

I have played far more tournaments in my latter years and find the camaraderie and playing with other "old guys" a fantastic experience. Like Bogey, my conditioning and stamina start to take its toll on long multi round days. Nothing a couple cold ones and motrin, after the round, can't fix though. I am a lot more careful about stretching out before and after rounds, use way more sunscreen now, generally carry snacks, carefully choose my footwear and socks and pay much more attention to hydration.

I'm 56 and started 2 years ago. Age absolutely does not diminish enjoyment of the game. Kinda pizzes me off when a millennial calls me sir on the course though.

Great advice from all the old farts on this thread. Look at the form videos, practice as much as you can and have fun.

Learning to roll can not only get you a bit more distance but it can also substitute for developing a strong forehand on certain holes where the ground is suitable.

True... although it can also be hard on the back. (even throwing anhyzers is hard on my back)

50 now, started playing at age 23.

Had a fairly serious injury at age 39 that kept me from walking, let alone playing DG for a time.

Have gotten more serious in recent years as the injury kept me from returning to other more intense activities that I enjoyed.

DG is my primary means of exercise now.

I am quite sore after 18 holes, and wiped after 36. However I believe that is due to the injury and not the age.

My game is much better now than before because I know my discs better and my technique has improved greatly.

I'm 50 now, and have been playing for about 5 years. My distance seems to have decreased a bit in the past year, but I still throw farther than most anyone else that I encounter on the course, honestly.

Some days, I wish that my swing had a range of motion like Eagle McMahon, but instead feel like I am exhibiting a swing more like Jay Yeti Reading. Range of motion issues definitely limit one's power.

I have moved away from all out bombing max distance drivers, because a carefully placed fairway often gets better results; and no one really cares exactly how far you throw - not in my crowd, anyway.

You don't have to throw far to have a bunch of fun, which is good, because most people don't throw very far.

I'm also in that group that didn't take up the game until I was over 50. My son introduced me to the game and now I play more then he does. It's been great, I've seen general health improvements, meet a lot of interesting folks and have made many new friends all because of my obsession with this game.

Go ahead on!!
You're in a great position. I started playing at 57 and turn 68 this year. The sport filled a need for me, and in a way keeps me young, with many of my best buds being 20-40 years my junior.

I'm blessed to live in a DG hotspot, with a multitude of quality courses and numerous options for leagues and tourneys. I can't see where you're from, but getting involved with your local club and helping out at events will teach you as much or more than throwing on the course. I've gotten help from many accomplished players, and have prospered in the sport as a result.

A guy in our league was over 50 before he started playing. He's hit the last two aces we've paid out, making $200, and beats some players half his age. Becoming a Master's World Champ may not be realistic, but there are plenty of personal goals and other achievements well within reach. Plus, fun has no age limit.

54 now, been playing 32 years now. Age matters...I've been thru rotator cuff surgery 13 years ago due to disc golf yet still play once a week. Both of my hips are bad and recently developed carpal tunnel in my throwing hand. A good round these days is seldom but most enjoyable along with the beer :)

I'm 57... stretch, don't push it, have fun and.. get a cart. I feel so much better after my rounds because i didn't have to carry my bag. Worth every penny.

59 now, started in 1981 . got my first Frisbee for christmas 1965 and still have it even though i don't play catch much anymore. lots of excellent advice has already been posted.but i'll try to break it down.

1. stretch and warm up for a minimum of 15 minutes b/4 throwing a drive.
2. 158-162 drivers work best for everyone i know over 55 that plays (myself included)
3. coordinated muscle movements are harder to learn the older you get, so don't try to kill a shot, try to make every shot as smooth as you can. (fairway is good)
4. if it hurts DON"T DO IT !
5. practice off the course to learn your discs and identify and slots you need to fill in your bag.
6. i carry 12 discs or less to every course i play in a Revolution small bag i have had for 13 yrs. a minimalistic approach is best for shooting better scores IMO.

Best of luck with your disc journey. the BEST lifetime sport ever.

To answer your question: no

I started when I was 50 and that didn't deter my development into a fairly decent player at all (I was in decent shape and playing a lot of baseball though). The best player in my local group is in his early 60s. He throws drivers to holes where I use mids but he'll beat my ass on the scorecard because he throws every shot well, nearly every time

EDIT: to echo what someone said earlier, the guy I mentioned above throws mostly 150 class discs too

Last edited:
I'm 51 soon and love DG. It's a lot less stressful on my joints than other sports I used to really be into; like tennis and running. Recovery time is much shorter and much less painful, also. Age matters, as with most physical endeavors, but I feel like it matters less in DG than in a lot of other sports. Most of the courses I play don't require 500 or even 400 foot drives, so as long as I can throw it 300ish, hit some tight lines, and putt decently, I can play, and play well, for a long time.

I use a 149g Tern and most of my other discs are in the 160-170g range. I plan to incorporate more lighter weight stuff, as needed.

I've seen a 60+ year old man throw a 400 foot drive using a 360. Pretty cool.

Latest posts