• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does age matter?

I keep thinking of Jack LaLanne. I mean, yea, generally, age matters. And even he wasn't immortal. But like has been said here, doesn't matter how old you are when you're having fun.

In the You're Never Too Old to Start Trivia Department: My dad played his first disc golf course the weekend he turned 80, and won a Gold medal in the 80-84 age group at the National Senior Games in Minneapolis, 2015. It's the only disc golf he has played (so far). :)

To quote Chris LeDoux; "It ain't the years, it's the miles." At 60 I see old injuries causing more problems than pure age. Although the arthritis is a bitch on a cold, damp day.

Are there any 60+ year olds that are 1000 rated?
Just one, Kazuo Shirai from Japan, at 1002 is registered to play Pro Master 60+ at Worlds. At age 69, I think he's setting the record for the oldest player to ever have a 4-digit rating. Michael Barry got to 1009 at age 63. Johnny Sias was barely over 1000 a few times at age 60-61. Both Dr. Rick Voakes and David Greenwell dropped below 1000 around age 58.

53 here. I slowed down at 50, lost some ground, due to physical difficulties, but learned and worked and improved in skill and distance. Going through that cycle again now after a bad ankle sprain in November. I had a similar sprain in my late 20's and I was over it within 3-4 months; this time, almost 8 months and the ankle isn't all the way healed yet. Recovery seems to take longer, like some others have said. Need to be more careful of injuries....

Most fun way I've found to exercise, build up stamina, and ;ose weight.

Just one, Kazuo Shirai from Japan, at 1002 is registered to play Pro Master 60+ at Worlds. At age 69, I think he's setting the record for the oldest player to ever have a 4-digit rating. Michael Barry got to 1009 at age 63. Johnny Sias was barely over 1000 a few times at age 60-61. Both Dr. Rick Voakes and David Greenwell dropped below 1000 around age 58.

Thanks Chuck, that's great info and really impressive for all those guys. I'd be curious to know if Shirai is a martial arts expert as well, the quickness and movement required in martial arts would translate well to disc golf.

I'm fortunate enough to occasionally play with Dave Greenwell. He's rated 980 right now at age 65 and still can drop some 1000-rated rounds. This guy gives me hope that I can still get better and better with age. I'm 37 and used to think my deterioration has already begun. Nope! :)

In another thread, they're discussing young players who've scored below their age in an A tier or higher event. I'd be curious to hear how many strokes below chronological age might be a record. These guys would be the place to begin that statistical search!

In another thread, they're discussing young players who've scored below their age in an A tier or higher event. I'd be curious to hear how many strokes below chronological age might be a record. These guys would be the place to begin that statistical search!

I've been wanting to shoot my age at Mt Airy. No luck yet.

I shot 7 below my age (52) at leagues a few weeks ago at Loriella with part of it set up long- roughly a 1020 round. Definitely an outlier for my 930 rated self.

I shot 7 below my age (52) at leagues a few weeks ago at Loriella with part of it set up long- roughly a 1020 round. Definitely an outlier for my 930 rated self.

Heck...my age is par (54). I am always aiming to hit at least that.

And no, I do not want to go read the tedious "Par Talk" thread. :D :\ ;)

Furthest below my age I've ever thrown in an actual 'event' is 17. But that was at the New Years at Winton tournament this year. Yeah. Winton Woods.:\ :p
But I'm willing to bet a guy who is nearly 70 years old & maintaining a 1000+ average has probably carded 20 or 25 below his age on a 'real' course, in a real serious event. :thmbup:

Yes, I'm in my 50s. And age will begin making a difference, though one can still keep playing for a long time and into advanced age, health permitting.

Pancreatic Enzymes on an empty stomach

Could you expound on this?

I like to play at sunrise. Before I leave, I take a couple of pancreatic enzyme capsules (and some curcumin and bromalaine if I have some) with abou 24oz water. Play 18. When I get back home, take a couple more and wait for about .5 to an hour to eat.

I like to play at sunrise. Before I leave, I take a couple of pancreatic enzyme capsules (and some curcumin and bromalaine if I have some) with abou 24oz water. Play 18. When I get back home, take a couple more and wait for about .5 to an hour to eat.

Does your enzymes contain HCl?

I know that a low acidic stomach can increase one's allergies, and histamines can cause inflammation.

Do you take your curcumin with piperine(black pepper)?

I myself will make Golden Milk about once a week, but I have never tried it before exercise. Your results have me very curious to experiment.

Last edited:
Does your enzymes contain HCl?

Yep. Twin Labs Super Enzymes

Does your enzymes contain HCl?Do you take your curcumin with piperine(black pepper)?
No. I haven't tried that. Thanks for the suggestion.

One other thing on this theme. This year I went full Keto (aka LCHF) including 3-5 day fasts. That seems to have reduced inflammation as well. Down from 309 to 279. I play better now than when I was in my 30's... which isn't saying much. Haha

Latest posts