• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does Oakley's sponsorship of the European Open make you want to wear them?

Are you more likely to wear Oakley's?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have owned a few pairs of Oakley sunglasses, a backpack, shoes, boots, etc. Quality brand.

They are actually manufactured in the US I hear which is very surprising to me? I buy from companies that support disc golf, and already a happy consumer so win win!

Take that back only there M frames, and boots are made in USA now. It doesn't make a huge differance I guess but would have been cool to think that an American actually made something.

I love my Oakley Crosshairs though and think they were a good price for the quality.

I've owned many pairs of Oakley's over the years starting with my first pair of Factory Pilots back in 1987 for bicycle racing. I still have a couple of different pairs of Oakley's today: one pair for cycling and another for everyday/DG. I've never had a problem with them slipping off of my face and they are very comfortable.

I'm glad to see them getting into sponsoring DG!

My daughter plays ball golf for her high school and the team just bought Oakley dri-fit golf shirts for the team. I think that Oakley is expanding their market and products.

If a company supports disc golf i will always be a little more likely to purchase their products. If i already use their products then the next time i purchase something from them i'll write something to let them know their sponsorship was a deciding factor. Companies will only put money into disc golf if they are getting feedback that suggests that its actually affecting sales and i want to see disc golf get bigger sponsors so i try to provide some of that feedback.

If a company supports disc golf i will always be a little more likely to purchase their products. If i already use their products then the next time i purchase something from them i'll write something to let them know their sponsorship was a deciding factor. Companies will only put money into disc golf if they are getting feedback that suggests that its actually affecting sales and i want to see disc golf get bigger sponsors so i try to provide some of that feedback.

Good post. I try to support the companies sponsoring disc golf AND to let them know why I am buying their product(s).

I say yes. I allways try to support a company that is willing to support disc golf. I buy beers from Bells Brewery when I'm back in areas where they sell their beers, just becuese they suported the Worlds a few years back.

DogDuaneChapmanOakleyThumpMP3-seated.jpg

Professional Disc Golfer

I wouldnt spend good money on any sunglasses, Oakleys are just as dumb as the people you see wearing them backwards with sunglass lines on their head. Wouldnt buy Buick because of Tiger or Hanes cause of Jordan. Private brands is the way to go anyway. Nowadays so much effort is put in to getting them equal to name brands, why spend the money. That advertising is why name brands cost so much, not the quality.

Excedrine Migraine and Excedrine Extra Strength are the exact same product, but migraine sufferers swear by the Migraine medicine.

Anyway, i am smart enough to understand that Tiger is VERY good at Golf. No amount of Nike gear will make me as good. Similarily, I wont be as good as Ricky with Prodigy stuff and a Grip bag. So, I personally, just do my own thing.

Last edited:
Also, you'ld do just as much for disc golf if not more if you volunteered 20 more hours a year to upkeep, clean, or build new courses. Many areas I have been to have upkeep so poor on their courses, I cannot see how a newbie would come back after trialing the sport.

My last pair of Oakely sunglasses was in 1987. Rubbery wayfarer design with a black and white cow print. They were rad.

I wear Ray-Bans. I think its cool they sponsored a major tourney but I'm a loyal Ray-Ban customer and nothing will change that.

Subjective Opinion Incoming:

Oakley makes some of the ugliest frames known to man. Frogskins are/were their only classic style.

They could sponsor an entire decade of the "Oakley Pro Disc Golf Tour" and it wouldn't sway me into buying a pair.

Vintage 2143 Wayfarers for life. Pre-Luxottica.

again Ray Bans is owned by Oakley :)
They actually aren't.

Luxottica bought Ray Ban in the late 90's.

Luxottica bought Oakley in 2007.

They are both owned by a parent company. Neither sub-brand owns the other. Oakley is the 'new kid' in the Luxottica portfolio.

They actually aren't.

Luxottica bought Ray Ban in the late 90's.

Luxottica bought Oakley in 2007.

They are both owned by a parent company. Neither sub-brand owns the other. Oakley is the 'new kid' in the Luxottica portfolio.

Thanks for the info. Regardless of who owns who I prefer the classic styles that are offered by Ray Ban. Oakleys are quality shades but I can't pull em off. They seem to be favored by cops and jocks.

It takes a willingness to rock Oakleys. I understand some of you wouldn't be able to handle it so keep on with your gas station knock offs.