• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dogs on leases

new flavor?

in principle, i find those with dogs on the golf course similar to those that insist on boombox music while playing or those who insist on texting while driving - dreadfully inconsiderate.

in practice, however, it depends on the individual dog. some dogs are fine, even helpful, but my anecdotal experience tells me that in the main dogs are a pain in the ass when golfing...

which is why i always carry some chocolate flavor ex-lax for a sneaky dog treat when i play (given late in the round) - "because i just don't give a damn"...but if the dog is a good one, he gets some jerky...:popcorn:

Last edited:
new flavor?

in principle, i find those with dogs on the golf course similar to those that insist on boombox music while playing or those who insist on texting while driving - dreadfully inconsiderate.

in practice, however, it depends on the individual dog. some dogs are fine, even helpful, but my anecdotal experience tells me that in the main dogs are a pain in the ass when golfing...

which is why i always carry some chocolate flavor ex-lax for a sneaky dog treat when i play (given late in the round) - "because i just don't give a damn"...but if the dog is a good one, he gets some jerky...:popcorn:

Ok, I'll be that guy. Not cool. Ex-lax is poison for dogs. It's funny to ex lax a bad roommate, it's cruelty to animals to intentionally give them poison. Hopefully you aren't on one of my courses because I would turn your sorry azz in.

Ok, I'll be that guy. Not cool. Ex-lax is poison for dogs. It's funny to ex lax a bad roommate, it's cruelty to animals to intentionally give them poison. Hopefully you aren't on one of my courses because I would turn your sorry azz in.

Nice reaction, but not an 'argument'. It illustrates a general axiom for life, which is that if people do not control themselves, including their pets, sooner or later some authority will control them instead...the point is to live by some 'principle', not necessarily "I just don't give a damn." or "It's OK, even funny, to poison your friend, but not a disturbance animal. (know anyone with crohn's disease?)"

Catch my drift, since you seem to have missed the sarcastic troll?
Ok then, fair enough...

Nice reaction, but not an 'argument'. It illustrates a general axiom for life, which is that if people do not control themselves, including their pets, sooner or later some authority will control them instead...the point is to live by some 'principle', not necessarily "I just don't give a damn." or "It's OK, even funny, to poison your friend, but not a disturbance animal. (know anyone with crohn's disease?)"

Catch my drift, since you seem to have missed the sarcastic troll?
Ok then, fair enough...

It wasn't an argument. I really would turn you in for feeding ex lax to a dog. Not real intelligent of you to admit that in public either.

I'm not sure if your obtuseness is intentional or real, so I'll explain to you. Ex lax is really poison to a dog, it doesn't just make them poop.

I can't believe this is even a conversation, lol.

"Never argue with a moron, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

I had a cat who not only came running when called, and obeyed commands like "Get down" or "come here," etc., he also played fetch. That's right. Fetch.

I could throw a small rubber toy from an upstairs loft, and he'd FLY downstairs to wherever it ended up, returning seconds later with it hanging like a dead mouse from his maw. He'd walk onto my lap and drop it, ready for another throw.

The difference between a dog and a cat in these situations is simple, but vitally important: a dog will run and run and fetch and fetch until its poor heart gives out. A cat is too smart for that, and will stop (read: disappear) when he's damn good and ready.

My friends cat has learnt that if he jumps and hangs on the door knob, that the wild Raccoon outside can push the door open and come in.

Sorry, the thread needed some drift.

i had a Manx (15 LBS) that would open every interior door in the house while we were gone. after a couple of yrs thinking our new house was haunted i finally saw him open one. he hung on to the doorknob with both front feet and swung while bumping his belly against the door until it opened a little, then dropped and then pushed it open with his forehead. he obviously had a strict "open door" policy.

i have rarely spoken (and never written) about this but now i feel completely vindicated in a strange way. i just thank God he never decided to have an open house and invite his friends in.

But I know that NO ONE wants to see my two beautiful and sweet-natured, but still large and scary-looking, dogs running freely anywhere near them, their children, their dogs, or their discs. It's just bad form.

Excellent. Other people in a public park shouldn't have to assess---or guess---just how well-behaved and gentle a free-running dog is. They simply should not have to worry about it.

I live in a rural area with lots of dogs that run loose. I love dogs, and am happy that they can. But when I'm on a bicycle and encounter one, I have to make an instant assessment---and hope I'm right. But I know where I am, and it goes with the territory; it shouldn't in a public park.

I'm also in the insurance business, and you won't believe how often severe damages is caused by dogs whose owners said they were gentle and well-behaved and had never bothered anyone. We can't write a leash law that lets the owners be the arbiters of whether their dogs need it. So we write one for all dogs. (Or don't, as in my neighborhood).

Excellent. Other people in a public park shouldn't have to assess---or guess---just how well-behaved and gentle a free-running dog is. They simply should not have to worry about it.

I live in a rural area with lots of dogs that run loose. I love dogs, and am happy that they can. But when I'm on a bicycle and encounter one, I have to make an instant assessment---and hope I'm right. But I know where I am, and it goes with the territory; it shouldn't in a public park.

I'm also in the insurance business, and you won't believe how often severe damages is caused by dogs whose owners said they were gentle and well-behaved and had never bothered anyone. We can't write a leash law that lets the owners be the arbiters of whether their dogs need it. So we write one for all dogs. (Or don't, as in my neighborhood).

That remind of an incident about a month ago. We where moving from one hole to the next when we came across a walking path winding thru the course. Sitting there was a 90 to 100 pound unleashed Doberman Pinscher about 50 feet away. I just stop in my tracks and didn't move. Shortly there after the father with the family in tow appears and explained how this beast was the friendly dog known to mankind.

After he got his dog under control I just nodded and went about on my way. I am not about to make an unwise decision with a dog that big.

That remind of an incident about a month ago. We where moving from one hole to the next when we came across a walking path winding thru the course. Sitting there was a 90 to 100 pound unleashed Doberman Pinscher about 50 feet away. I just stop in my tracks and didn't move. Shortly there after the father with the family in tow appears and explained how this beast was the friendly dog known to mankind.

After he got his dog under control I just nodded and went about on my way. I am not about to make an unwise decision with a dog that big.

Exactly. The great majority of dogs you encounter are going to be friendly---some excessively so. But they don't come with big warning labels, and we can't trust their owners to be objective (because those owners don't come with objectivity warning labels).

And that's us. Generally, men, without children to worry about. Other park patrons must be even more wary.

Meanwhile, guests at our private course are welcome to let their dogs run loose.

I feel like dog owners are a lot like bicyclists. Most are courteous, well-behaved human beings who do the right thing. A few are either thoughtless, spacey, or just *******s, and they which give the rest a bad name. Speaking as both a biker and former dog owner, I sometimes complain about both, but I realize it's a pretty small minority who are actually the bad actors.

I feel like dog owners are a lot like bicyclists. Most are courteous, well-behaved human beings who do the right thing. A few are either thoughtless, spacey, or just *******s, and they which give the rest a bad name. Speaking as both a biker and former dog owner, I sometimes complain about both, but I realize it's a pretty small minority who are actually the bad actors.

True. And probably true about a lot of things. Probably a lot more things than we'd want to introduce in this thread.

You can test the analogy if you've played a course on shared park property, with bike trails running through it.

It wasn't an argument. I really would turn you in for feeding ex lax to a dog. Not real intelligent of you to admit that in public either.

I'm not sure if your obtuseness is intentional or real, so I'll explain to you. Ex lax is really poison to a dog, it doesn't just make them poop.

I can't believe this is even a conversation, lol.

"Never argue with a moron, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

You learn something new every day. Ex lax equals dog poison. They should have a public service commercial before the next dog owner thinks that his dog is constipated and then accidentally wacks it. I wonder if milk of magnesia is more or less poisonous than Ex lax.

I don't know. I've never had a bike owner say "It's never acted like that before!" after the bike decided it hated me and got away from the bicyclist.

I love dogs; they can be great companions and workers. Having said that, dogs are pack animals and must be shown that they are not the alpha. If the hiarchy is not established, then the dog will be unmanageable.

Just saying, it seems that too many of the dogs one sees own the course, the hiarchy is inverted.

Latest posts