• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dogs on leases

I try to be pretty laid-back about this. It's hard sometimes, though, because off-leash dogs are a big part of the reason I can't bring my dog on hikes, etc (she's very dog-aggressive outside certain scenarios and is a pit bull, and a 'friendly' dog running up to her could be a big, big problem). I don't think most dog owners think about things like that, though. Who can blame them? They're having an amazing time with their dog, blissfully ignorant, and maybe I'd be the same way if I'd never had an, um, special needs dog.

What I just don't get is why people with off-leash dogs think it's easier than having their dog on a leash. Off-leashers on the dg course are always having to call their dog away from other groups, other dogs, the guy teeing off. It seems like a giant hassle. If the dog is exceptionally well-trained, then having it on leash should present no problems whatsoever. If it is not well-trained, then it really needs to be on-leash even more so.

I've seen one dog in all my dg experiences that was completely fine being off-leash. One. The owner is an amazing trainer and basically controls that dog like he has a remote control. He can say "left" and it goes left. "Right" and it goes right. "Stop" and it stops. Incredible.

My buddy doesn't even have to speak to his dog to keep it on the invisible leash. A barely audible click of the tongue and a slight gesture with one finger can make the dog heel, sit, stay, lay down, or chase a squirrel. The only acts of rebellion I have seen are when the dog is panting a little too loudly or shifts his weight while sitting on leaves while my buddy is teeing off and those are curtailed with a glance.

An Australian Shepherd that belongs to a guy in my regular group does some pretty impressive stuff. She's always off-leash, and my buddy cops an attitude if a Park Ranger gently reminds him of The Law. That part is unpalatable to me, as is the constant yelling for her to "move!" if she's in the middle of the fairway 200 feet away. For me, his yelling is way more distracting than the dog way out there...

He can throw 9 discs in rapid succession, for instance, and she won't pick up any that aren't designated as "hers." Only the two of them know the difference.

Anyway, someone threw into a creek that is normally only a few inches deep in most cases. On this day, it was more like 18 inches or more. And the creek is 40' down a very steep embankment.
The disc was invisible to us. The dog, however, after scouting the edges for a while, walked to a spot in the middle of the creek, water up to her chest, and just stood there looking up at us. Waiting patiently for instructions, apparently, because when my buddy said, "Get it!", she plunged her entire head underwater and came up a moment later with the disc that would have surely been lost without her.

Pretty cool, right?. My feelings aren't very strong one way or the other on this topic. I know what I do with my dogs, and I know what the law says. *shrug* If you want - or are willing - to pay a fine, go for it. But if your mutt puts his muddy paws on my chest, I'll only love on him for a second, instead of the usual minute or two. And if he gets hit by a disc, you can't blame me...

Happy to say that almost every course around does not allow any pets on the courses. Been more than 1 time I have stepped in some dog sh*t because some ignorant dog owner just had to go against that stated rules of the course and bring their dogs out only to have then sh*t all over and just leaving it. Ever see dogs out on a regular golf course? How about a baseball diamond or basketball court when peeps are using them? Football field? You don't and neither should they be out on a disc golf course.

From another thread:
The dog cornered a copperhead between hole 15 and 16 at Rockland Park today. It was poised ready to strike when I got the boy back on the leash. Sorry the dog wouldn't let me go back for a picture.

Leases are for everybody's protection, including the one on the lease.

Ok, so I don't really care if the dog is tethered or not. I do enjoy having them around during play. They have better dispositions than some of the people I play with at times.

I leave mine at home since one has no brains(German Shorthaired Pointer) and the other hates everyone and everything. If you have a brainless pointer you what I am talking about, great hunting dog, but otherwise stupid as a tree stump. She can't seem to turn off that nose. The hater(pointer mix) seems to love me and I am unclear as to why, it may be because I feed her well and rescued her.

But the burning question I always wander about as owners start chasing their dogs around is this, "If your girlfriend/wife won't listen to you and she speaks english, what makes you think your dog who uses english as a second language at best has any concern about what you say or think"?

I love the stories of well-behaved dogs. I have even played with a buddy whose dog is silent and enjoys running around and exploring a deeply wooded course (NOT a municipal park type course) without causing any distraction to me at all.

But then I put myself in the place of the other disc golfers, on other holes, who suddenly have to be aware of a dog. THEY don't know she's well-behaved. They don't know that she doesn't chase discs. Hell, they don't even know that she's with a fellow disc golfer.

So I guess the variables include the dog, the owner/lease-holder (sorry, couldn't resist), the course, and the amount of other dogs and disc golfers around. I can make the case that under the right circumstances, it can work. And if the golfer truly considers all the variables, then it can be the right decision.

But most of the time, under most circumstances, please just leave the doggo home.

My back got cut up pretty good yesterday from a "Harmless Dog" that just wanted to say 'hi'. He pounced on my back with one of his claws hard enough to slice skin through my Carhart winter jacket, hoodie, and t-shirt.

I don't care what you think your dog will or won't do. Even if the dog spoke perfect English, had a very believable tone, and gave a very compelling speech about pacifism; you STILL have no way to guarantee its behavior.

I am starting to side with the poster who said they would shoot your dog if it charged them, and then sue the owner for emotional distress.

Oh millennials, now you can lease dogs instead of owning them? What will they think of next.

Would not work in my area as even with the Millennial's/last of the Generation X, though a 30 day free return for Dogs that do not work out would work for my Millennial generation.

On another note in my area at Powerhpuse Ally at Ohae Downstream State Park I had in 2005 my DX Valkyrie I was just about to give up using after about 1 year for the new Champion plastic of same disc. The DX Valkyrie was taken by a dog that took it and ran, dad and I had to get the disc from the dog who ruined the disc, I then after about 2 rounds of play got the new disc.

Last edited:
In my area at Powerhpuse Ally at Ohae Downstream State Park I had in 2005 my DX Valkyrie I was just about to give up using after about 1 year for the new Champion plastic of same disc. The DX Valkyrie was taken by a dog that took it and ran, dad and I had to get the disc from the dog who ruined the disc, I then after about 2 rounds of play got the new disc.

The dog was unleashed, and owner so fat he could barely walk a I am guessing 500 pound guy had 0% control over the dog that almost bit my hand, I had to release the disc just before dog bit the disc to avoid needing stitches.

My back got cut up pretty good yesterday from a "Harmless Dog" that just wanted to say 'hi'. He pounced on my back with one of his claws hard enough to slice skin through my Carhart winter jacket, hoodie, and t-shirt.

I don't care what you think your dog will or won't do. Even if the dog spoke perfect English, had a very believable tone, and gave a very compelling speech about pacifism; you STILL have no way to guarantee its behavior.

I am starting to side with the poster who said they would shoot your dog if it charged them, and then sue the owner for emotional distress.

Sorry bud you got knock off Carhartt you can tell because it's only spelled with one "t".

I have 2 dogs currently, both young 1-2 year range. Sadly my 3 older dogs all passed away in the last 2 years aged 10-12 years.

I do not take my dogs with me to disc golf because I know how many people are fearful and angry around dogs. I don't wish to bring fear or anger to people or stress the dogs.

I personally love every dog I meet.

Life is way too short with way too little happiness not to experience the sheer joy of spending time with a dog. They understand how to love the simple joys of life more than we humans will ever figure out.

I greet and visit with every dog I come across (if the owner allows). I don't care if they are on leash, off leash, big, small, muddy, wet, shedding, jump on me, drool, chew my disc or tear my clothes.

The sheer joy of getting for a few minutes to spend time with one who loves life so much is its own reward.

I typically count my encounters with dogs as some of the highest points of some very blessed days.

Because I do not take my dogs out on the course with me, that greatly curtails how much I play. Because if I have a choice to be home and hanging with the family and dogs, or out on the course, I will choose family & dogs almost all of the time.

That means that the majority of my DIsc Golf play time is during my lunch hour when I cannot be home. It likely limits my skill level and I'm cool with that.

I like the sentiments above very much. You might be able to tell by the little skinny box at the bottom, there.

Dogs rule. Or they would, if they could speak Latin and had opposable thumbs. :thmbup:

Indeed, Zontar.

But I love cats, too. Instead of comparing them, and arguing over which one Rules More, I just do the Cosmic Shrug, and do what everyone should do when talking about the GOAT in NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. It goes like this:

If I want to recline on the couch and watch TV, or read a book, listen to music, whatever, then the Dogs win.

If I want to sit back and watch an animal be interested and interesting, then it's the Cat who prevails.

In other words, they are as different as men and women, or Michael Jordan and LeBron James. To compare them to each other, or rank them in a historical sense, is unfair to both. Take each in the context of their individual time and place, and then we don't have to worry about stats, opposing talent, schedule difficulty, the Nature of the New Game, and so on. Simply enjoy the show, wot?

Be here now. That is all.

I watched an altercation once between a couple with dogs and a disc golfer. The disc golf course which is just a park has benches everywhere for picnics so the couple sits down and lets there dogs run around and don't give a damn. I assume the dog put some teeth marks on the guys disc because they were all flipping each other off and yelling it too. And it went on for awhile as the disc golfer abruptly quits his round and leaves in his car. Both the people having the picnic had their fingers high in the air while standing and still yelling as the guy drives away. I haven't seen the couple in awhile though. Now every time I get to that hole I think about it and laugh.

Did folks hear the story about the woman who's dogs ate her arms off this weekend? I've been bitten twice by nice dogs who never hurt anyone. Dogs in public aren't the same as your dog in your home.

Did folks hear the story about the woman who's dogs ate her arms off this weekend? I've been bitten twice by nice dogs who never hurt anyone. Dogs in public aren't the same as your dog in your home.

I was a FedEx driver for 30 years, and I was bitten by dogs 8 or 9 times. 3 or 4 of those times were after the owner said "he/she doesn't bite". I still love dogs, though.

Indeed, Zontar.

But I love cats, too. Instead of comparing them, and arguing over which one Rules More, I just do the Cosmic Shrug, and do what everyone should do when talking about the GOAT in NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. It goes like this:

If I want to recline on the couch and watch TV, or read a book, listen to music, whatever, then the Dogs win.

If I want to sit back and watch an animal be interested and interesting, then it's the Cat who prevails.

In other words, they are as different as men and women, or Michael Jordan and LeBron James. To compare them to each other, or rank them in a historical sense, is unfair to both. Take each in the context of their individual time and place, and then we don't have to worry about stats, opposing talent, schedule difficulty, the Nature of the New Game, and so on. Simply enjoy the show, wot?

Be here now. That is all.

Finally someone gets it. I'd rather be on the course though if most or all of my family is home, but nothing beats having the house to yourself, except for the animals within.

Latest posts