• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dogs on the DG Course

I agree about not bringing any dogs to a tourney with 1 exception. The first tourney that I played in, there was a "disc dog" there carrying a mans discs. This gentleman also happened to have some moderate joint problems and couldn't walk up hills or stand up from kneeling down with out assistance. This was a service dog that had also been trained to be a caddy. It worked very well and the dog was very polite. I thought it was a great idea and could possibly work for more people.

I'll take my dog to the two local courses that are mostly wooded and don't see as much play. He always comes when I call him, so I let him off the leash once we get started (and thus away from the nature trail and other park facilities and users), though I put him back on the leash if we're playing through a group, for instance, or otherwise interacting with people. But generally we're on our own and he certainly loves it. Playing DG is the highlight of his week!

Of the local courses, one prohibits dogs so I don't take him there, though I certainly see dogs there sometimes. Another allows dogs but is by far the most played, so I'd have to be careful about him staying on the leash and with me, and that would distract me too much. Out in the woods with not too many other people around though, he's a perfect companion.

I get really heated about dog owners who take their dogs in parks that are posted off limits to dogs, owners who do not have absolute voice command over their dog, yet insist on running them off leash, dog owners who do not pay close attention to their dogs in off leash public areas and ....dog owners who are dumber than their dog.

In most cases of trouble with dogs....it's the owner.

I read a post on another forum somewhere where a guy lets his dog run loose on the course never really knowing where it is at. He said he never had a problem and it made me think how would he know he had a problem when he don't know where his dog is. My dogs are trained but in a public park never leave the leash. As my dog trainer said and he is good one "don't let your dog make you look stupid". It don't matter how well your dog is trained they are just that dogs. Have respect for others in the park and leave your dog on a leash or at home. If your dog needs to run take him to a dog park or toeher area similar. It's really just a matter of respect for others in the park!

I agree with the last post. I am a dog owner and a dog lover do training with dogs...... However there are far too many people that don't teach their dogs manners and the dogs (and owners) act like idiots and misbehave. When dogs are jumping up on people or showing any dominance towards people (not agression, just dominant behavior) it is not a good thing and there is a problem. Too many dog owners think that their dog is the best and don't want other people correcting them or their dog (it's called mother bear syndrome). Those people are the same kind that let their kids run wild at stores and restaraunts, disturbing everyone else.

I think thats fine and I do that with Shadow when I'm on quiet areas of Vallarta-Ast, which allows leashed dogs. But, if I become aware of anyone or thing ( like deer which Shadow loves to chase), he is leashed immediately and the leash is carabinered to my bag.

Not everybody loves dogs and some people are rightfully fearful of dogs. A golfer was bit at Hiestand DGC this month. I don't know the details, but Hiestand is clearly off limits to dogs, yet I see golfers and non-golfers there with dogs leashed and unleashed fairly often. And dog crap. A few people can spoil it for everyone.

I have a large, highly recognizable dog, I feel its my responsibility to set a good example and unless I'm in a dog park or out in the woods, no-one ever sees Shadow off leash, except me.

so people like us should be the only ones with dogs.:D

In most cases of trouble with dogs....it's the owner.

So true!

To people whose dogs "need to run": please don't take them to the dg course for their running exercise unless you know you're the only one on the course. Running amok just doesn't work in that setting, no matter how friendly and well-mannered your dog is otherwise. Being confident that your dog will "come when called" isn't good enough, in my opinion. Good enough is a dog that wants to be near you above all else. One that wants to be by your side in spite of the squirrels and the deer and the other players. These are rare. I thank God daily that I've got one of them in my life now, but I don't know if I'll ever have another. It also helps that she's 10 years old and has always been fairly "low-energy". My main concern at this stage in her life is she's turning into a slowpoke, and it can be a challenge to get her to keep up with me. In her defense, I play faster than almost anybody else in the park. (Faster, not better. ;) )

I have taken my Pit Bull out on the course with me on a Leash. The problem is other people have there dogs running lose and they come running up to my dog and she gets scared and will attack a on coming dog. There are signs at every entrance of the park saying the law is to have dogs on leashes.
I have almost gotten in fights telling people that there dogs need to be lashed and the dog park is down the street. The police dept will not enforce the law either.

I'm with trifocal in the fact that usually it is the neglegence of the owner and the lack of respect of someone either trying to be a tough guy or just ignorant. I love animals and feel that a man's best friend should have the opportunity to be apart of the worlds best game...besides soccer of course. As long as the dog is trained and doesn't eat discs I am all for it. They usually have better manners then their drunk owner or friends.

I have taken my Pit Bull out on the course with me on a Leash. The problem is other people have there dogs running lose and they come running up to my dog and she gets scared and will attack a on coming dog. There are signs at every entrance of the park saying the law is to have dogs on leashes.
I have almost gotten in fights telling people that there dogs need to be lashed and the dog park is down the street. The police dept will not enforce the law either.

Thats a dangerous situation and a good example of people not knowing how to handle a dog in public. A dog on a leash feels vulnerable when encountering a dog off leash...that energy feeds back to the owner and back again to the dog. Bad things can happen very fast. Mix that with idiots defending their "right" to run a dog off leash in a posted "leash only" area and trouble is close by.

Shadow and I have learned the hard way ( a Sunday morning trip to the the emergency room, 12 stiches in his shoulder ), to just leave the area if someone is running an unleashed dog in a leash only area...maybe its wimpy, but it beats having my dog torn up.

I have taken my dog on many occasions over the years. She used to chase my disc when I'd throw it, but be afraid of it when it would begin to fade and come down. I never lost a disc when she was there because she would always stalk it. When I wasn't the only one on the course I would have her on a leash.

Shadow and I have learned the hard way ( a Sunday morning trip to the the emergency room, 12 stiches in his shoulder ), to just leave the area if someone is running an unleashed dog in a leash only area...maybe its wimpy, but it beats having my dog torn up.

...and an expensive vet bill. It's not fair that you would have to pay for the damage when you are following the rules.

I have taken my dog on many occasions over the years. She used to chase my disc when I'd throw it, but be afraid of it when it would begin to fade and come down. I never lost a disc when she was there because she would always stalk it. When I wasn't the only one on the course I would have her on a leash.

I've tried to train my dog to locate the discs after I've thrown them all (on the practice field) but she just enjoys running around. She will sometimes just run right over it, but not stop to point it out.

I've only taken my dog out once to the course and at my course it is usually empty. There are walkers and kids on the playground and occasionally other dogs, but the particular day I took her the park was empty. I left her on a leash for 9 holes and the second 9 I let her loose. Since she was somewhat tired (she's out of shape) after 9, when she was off the leash, she didn't run too far off.

If I ever take her when there are other people out, I will definitley keep her on a leash, maybe let her off when we are away from everything.

I'd do the same, let her off when we are away from everyone. My friend and I played about a month ago, and he took his retriever pup, and that dog would bring you back your disc...I guess that is why they are called retrievers huh? it was all good fun though, we'd got a kick out of it.

Maybe this topic would be a good episode for this guy to take on. Also would be great cross promotion for our sport.

CesarMillansFirstSeason.jpg

haha..."do you enjoy disc golf?" "do you wish to be as free as the disc?" that guy is weird.

...and an expensive vet bill. It's not fair that you would have to pay for the damage when you are following the rules.

The incident I described happened on a suburban street at 7:00 in the morning, across the street from the owners house. She had her pit bull on leash in the front yard and we were walking on the sidewalk on the other side of the street. Her dog ripped the leash out of her hand and charged across the street. I stopped walking double checked that my dog was secure and shortened his leash. The pit did not hesitate when he got close but just ran in and grabbed Shadow by the shoulder. I was pretty scared. It seemed like an hour, but it was only a second...I kicked that dog ( hiking boot) right in the throat. That took the wind out of him and it was over.
The womans neighbor was sitting on his front porch having coffee and reading the paper...he saw the whole thing. She didn't really have any choice but to pay my vet bills.
What was very wierd was that there was not a drop of blood. Seriously. The pit ripped the skin from the flesh, but didn't actually get in the muscle. That was lucky because the damage was mostly superficial.
I later learned that this woman "rescued" the pit, who had been a fighting dog. wtf??? That woman was definately not the leader of her dogs pack.

Every dog owner on this forum could benefit from watching Cesar Millan's show or reading one of his books, from the woman who can't control her aggressive rescue dog to those of us who have trouble controlling the situation when other dogs approach our own (not that trifocal could do anything but fight back -- man, you were lucky). The man is quite simply a genius, and what he does on-camera in short order is nothing short of magical.

Heck, even people who have no pets could benefit from watching him, because dogs are an ubiquitous part of human society, and it's good to learn at least a little of their language.

As wierd as Cesar Milan is, his techniques work very well. Anybody can learn that body language is how dogs communicate.

Latest posts