• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

don't make my mistake

pspunch

Double Eagle Member
i've done some other sports and have taken a "training" mindset to disc golf. throwing hundreds of drives, putting till all hours of the night... and it is very helpful, but i wasn't letting my body recover.

anyway, just got back from the doctor and ihave a sprained tendon in my hand. luckily a 5 day steroid and some rest will fix it, but it could have easily been a rotator cuff or knee injury that would have sidelined me for weeks.

just a reminder that rest is as important as practice, the more tired and run down/broken down your muscles are, the more likely you are to get injured (plus it feels rediculous to tell people you hurt yourself disc golfing)

The first year I played disc golf I threw forhand...really hard. My baseball history gave me the idea that the harder I throw, the more distance I could get. This was true in a sense. I had a lot of OAT issues to fix, but worked through them.

Needless to say, by the time my forehand was an efficient movement, it was too late. To this day (and with no improvement seen after 4 months of not throwing a disc) my shoulder still "pops" constantly. It's a lifelong consequence for sure.

I now throw backhand 90% of the time which helps, but I fear my shoulder will never be the same w/o surgery.

If it's not too late for you, be thankful and take heed...

i've done some other sports and have taken a "training" mindset to disc golf. throwing hundreds of drives, putting till all hours of the night... and it is very helpful, but i wasn't letting my body recover.

anyway, just got back from the doctor and ihave a sprained tendon in my hand. luckily a 5 day steroid and some rest will fix it, but it could have easily been a rotator cuff or knee injury that would have sidelined me for weeks.

just a reminder that rest is as important as practice, the more tired and run down/broken down your muscles are, the more likely you are to get injured (plus it feels rediculous to tell people you hurt yourself disc golfing)

Quick! Learn to throw left-handed!

Come on, dude, you're on steroids legally. Take hold of this opportunity!! :|

Yeah also make sure to stretch before rounds is very very important.

not all steroids are hgh :doh:

Sucks to hear man - it can definitely sneak up on you like that. More often but shorter practice intervals can help avoid that (45min 3x/week instead of 3 hours 1x/week), it'll also keep you focused on what you're practicing, since you limit yourself to a finite number of throws to accomplish that daily practice goal.

Never underestimate the power of rest. It's for good reason that taking a day off is one of the Ten Commandments. ;)

I played 27 holes yesterday and had a great breakthrough with driving and getting a solid rip. Last night I was so excited to play again today but I'm pretty sore (The good kind of sore) and I remembered this thread and thought I should take it easy today. Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to be playing a bunch on Tuesday and think the rest will be the best decision in my case.

Dan-Hyzer

The first year I played disc golf I threw forhand...really hard. My baseball history gave me the idea that the harder I throw, the more distance I could get. This was true in a sense. I had a lot of OAT issues to fix, but worked through them.

Needless to say, by the time my forehand was an efficient movement, it was too late. To this day (and with no improvement seen after 4 months of not throwing a disc) my shoulder still "pops" constantly. It's a lifelong consequence for sure.

I now throw backhand 90% of the time which helps, but I fear my shoulder will never be the same w/o surgery.

If it's not too late for you, be thankful and take heed...

Yikes, feeling bad for you. I also have a baseball background, but I read that backhand, in the long run, was the best way to go. So I learned that way. I occasionally want to throw a FH, and more often a tommy/thumber. Every time I throw one of these I feel like my shoulder is about to rip out of its socket. I use these throws now maybe every 10 rounds or so because I (at least am pretty sure) I don't know how to throw it right and need to save that shoulder for ball

You really have to find a throwing motion that's smooth and quick rather than hard. When I started I threw as hard as I could, muscling the disc on every throw. I would be exhausted after a single round, and playing multiple days in a row. I worked to smooth out my form, and that's made it so I can throw several rounds a day for multiple days without hurting.

I started playing at the age of 35, and have been very glad for the lessons I learned lurking on this site. Discing down, improving form vs. buying new plastic, the value of the second shot... have all helped me from injuring myself in this sport so far.

Perhaps a good solution for you might be learning to throw in a style you that you have not used before.

(throw left handed/forehand/swedish flying fish/underhand bird spin-push style)

You really have to find a throwing motion that's smooth and quick rather than hard. When I started I threw as hard as I could, muscling the disc on every throw. I would be exhausted after a single round, and playing multiple days in a row. I worked to smooth out my form, and that's made it so I can throw several rounds a day for multiple days without hurting.

thanks for this post! gave me some good food for thought. quick rather than hard clicked in my brain for some reason, i hadn't thought about it like that.

Latest posts