• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dream disc golf places to live based on quality of life

maybe not. I hear the traffic to the resorts is horrendous on the weekends, 6 hours from the city when it normally is only 1+

While that is true, there are also weekdays, non-resorts and routes not named I-70. Depending on where one is coming from, Eldora can be accessed without any or much travel on I-70. In good weather, I've heard 285/9 is a nice "back" way to Breckenridge, as well as a way to Monarch and Crested Butte.

OK, I've been here for a little under a month, but here's my take:

First week of moving in and it was legitimately cold here (10ºF one day, hell even colder than CT!), then a 8" snow storm hit the city! As a typical northerner I was baffled/appauled at the way people drove in the snow/ice here, but it warmed up quickly all melted away within days.

Its faster to all the DG parks than I thought, 15min to Seven Oaks, 12min to Crocket, 22min to Cedar hill, 25min to Sharp Springs. :clap:

Its weird because here in Nashville when I input something into the GPS/Google Maps/Waze, I tend to arrive sooner than the projected time (even with a little traffic). In the North East its the opposite it tended to be later than expected.

Also that means if you're in Nashville area then Bowling Green, KY Courses are only 1hr 10min away.

The DG here is very high quality and diverse. I just played Sharp Springs and that course should be easily rated higher than 4.00 (its right at 3.9+), as should Seven Oaks. If you want an open bomber course that you can have the whole course to yourself, Crockett, if you want east coast wooded and stiff local competition, Seven Oaks, beautiful mix Sharp Springs, punishing gold level course with elevation(s), Cedar Hill.

There are two new courses going up right in the Metro Area too (one is going to be a 36 hole layout) in Antioch, TN. I havent even played the other nearby courses, Oggwood, Whitehouse, ect. yet.

To the other stuff:

2. Very quality weather year round and winter months are around 40ish average

- other than that cold streak (damn I was a little shocked at how cold it got here then that snow) its Feb and about high 40's to even 70ºF yesterday (so mild winters).

3. Economic outlook- Good to very good
4. Schools and education- Good to very good (prefer suburba)

- i guess this area is booming. seems to be tons of transplants. Supposedly I live near one of the best elementary schools. The Locals have said that there are still awesome public elementary/middle schools, in my area (bentwood).

5. Lifestyle- Lots of outdoor activities and plenty of places to explore. Plus a few hours from the beach
6. Crime- Seems to be better than where I live now... So that's a plus

there is two large state nature parks 5miles away from me right now. No beaches but on weekends it feels like I'm in Maine (in spring/summer) with all the kayaks/canoes strapped onto the top of cars here.

The crime in the city is notable I guess. My wife and I were contemplating living in Downtown (as an investment opportunity as well as being close to everything) but it didn't make sense having already lived in NYC for 5 years.

The food, music (not only country but all music), culture, and fun stuff in Nashville is a given. I watched the Star Wars movie on a legit huge IMAX screen (next to the grand old opery), all the major music acts make their way through nashville during concert season, there's a NHL and NFL team here, and a cool AAA minor league stadium right in the middle of the city.

The cons are that you can see that real estate is quickly rising in cost (its still cheap compared to the north east/other expensive areas). There's traffic on the Major highways (so if you're not near the Metro Area then commute times will only get worse). Plus the highways/infrastructure is not keeping up with the population so its going to rear its ugly head soon. The mall culture/shopping culture is still prevalent here so weekend shopping is crazy.

Lastly, everyone here in the DG community has been so nice. I got invited by new buddies to play Sharp Springs. I got there early to warm up, and every single local group that came through to play invited me to join their group. I felt bad, because normally I love playing with random new people.

So the other thread got me thinking, if you had a dream location to live based on a handful of qualities YOU look for (including but) not limited to disc golf, where would that be?
My dream choice- Nashville area
1. 20 quality courses within 30 minutes
2. Very quality weather year round and winter months are around 40ish average
3. Economic outlook- Good to very good
4. Schools and education- Good to very good (prefer suburba)
5. Lifestyle- Lots of outdoor activities and plenty of places to explore. Plus a few hours from the beach
6. Crime- Seems to be better than where I live now... So that's a plus:thmbup:

Please please please tell me your opinion on Nashville area living after you get settled in. I've been trying to convince the old lady to move there when I'm done with school

welcome to the neighborhood. :thmbup: when you get here, check out the Nashville Disc Golfers Facebook page. It will quickly get you acquainted with events in the area and put you in contact with the Music City Disc Golf club (over 250 paying members). You'll love it here, I'm sure. Also, check out Sharp Springs.

If you have the money, Brentwood is the place to live, but really anywhere is Williamson County is outstanding.

I totally understand. Nashville is a hotbed. This place is exploding. I live about 40 minutes north of downtown currently, but grew up in Spring Hill which is about 40 minutes south of downtown. I still visit my parents frequently there. I'm currently looking for a nice tract of land to build a house and perhaps my own course. There is a really nice "private" course, but open to the public where I live in Springfield called Oggwood. Definitely worth checking out.

If it's a dream.....I'd say, if you would take 30% of the population off Singapore and added 15 disc golf courses that would be Heaven. Singapore is so F'ing nice

Bumping cause rain and humidity the last two days I've been off work have gotten me thinking about this topic.

After having played courses all over the country and having lived in the midwest and TX, my conclusion is there is no perfect place that has it all for quality of life plus awesome disc golf. I've played from sunup to sundown in Wisconsin in July and on a sunny 70 degree February day in TX but to actually live there you have accept the downsides.
Summarizing what everyone has said you have about 3 different buckets to choose from. Boils down to what you're willing to accept for the downsides.

Good to great weather year round, but high to very high cost of living and traffic: California, Portland, Seattle, Colorado

Long generally mild summers with long cold winters (i.e. unplayable for the non-glow/ snow round fans): Twin Cities MN, Wisconsin, Michigan, Chicago suburbs

Mild winters, warm falls & springs with hot to very hot summers: Charlotte, Austin, Nashville, DFW

After a recent trip to Hawaii, I would love to live on Kauai. Only two permanent 9 hole courses but two temp 18 hole courses on ball golf courses. Great weather year round except the random daily showers and they weren't enough to make want to stop playing. Not to mention no winter.

Last edited:
What about Huntsville, Alabama?

Disc Golf: It has 22 courses rated 3 or higher, and 6 at 4 and higher. (I would also rank UAH higher than 3.5). The courses do offer a variety of play, from wide open to heavily wooded.

Education: It has an incredibly low high school drop out rate and high rate of HS graduates going to college. It has the most educated population in the state (based on college degrees earned).

Economy is based on Aerospace and Military. Which means it is a very Republican area. Not sure if that is good or bad for you and your career.

It doesn't have much winter and it is closer to the ocean than Tennessee. It is also very close to Tennessee.

Not sure about crime rate.

I personally love visiting Huntsville, I just don't think I could live in the South.

I live in Huntsville, or just outside there. There are not quite that many good courses but I can't complain about what we do have.

Looks like DGCR shows 8 18-hole courses, 6 of which are rated 3 or higher. There are a handful of nine hole courses too. If you drive a bit out of HSV, there are another 8 to 10 courses in the North Alabama area.

There is enough variety to keep me happy but I don't know if the challenge really exists for upper level advanced and open players. I am an intermediate player and am adequately challenged at most courses. MPO scores double digits under pat at every tournament it seems though.

Well UAH is actually really hard in even the "short" red layout. I guess that's the one course that is for advanced/open players.

Quality of life & number of courses, yes.

Poor weather all through October-March, also yes.

Its kind of a Catch 22 situation. In fact, I think somewhere up North in Finland would be better. Big enough city to have amenities but less social problems than Helsinki, proper winters (hey you can play snow disc golf too), good number of courses but not the immense mass of players like in Helsinki to fill them all up.

I'd be down with that.

Then again, Hawaii sounds kinda nice too lol

Quality of life & number of courses, yes.

Poor weather all through October-March, also yes.

Its kind of a Catch 22 situation. In fact, I think somewhere up North in Finland would be better. Big enough city to have amenities but less social problems than Helsinki, proper winters (hey you can play snow disc golf too), good number of courses but not the immense mass of players like in Helsinki to fill them all up.

I'd be down with that.

Then again, Hawaii sounds kinda nice too lol
Do you think that group of islands (Aaland) getting a bunch of courses installed will become an ideal place for disc golf or is it too spread out or expensive to get around?

Do you think that group of islands (Aaland) getting a bunch of courses installed will become an ideal place for disc golf or is it too spread out or expensive to get around?

Cool vacation destination, but I'd rather keep living here in the middle of a lot more courses, more tightly concentrated, with fatty beef drive-thru near every course, and several more places like it just a day's drive away.

Its a bucket list destination alright. Some of them for sure are on smaller islands further out that only get ferry service couple times a day.

Latest posts