• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drew Garabo Show

BFD... who cares what this DB thinks. Sorry, I can't take anyone who works for The Bone seriously... stupid@$$ name.

Why should we care? Seriously?!?

It's one thing for someone to publicly say they don't like the sport or don't think it's a sport. That's an opinion.

But to literally say that players are uneducated when 69% of the country has a HS degree compared to 98% of disc golfers and 27.2% have college degrees compared to 52% of disc golfers is just flat out ignorant and wrong. We HAVE to get past these stereotypes for our sport to progress.

Awesome, Derek from the show after him convinced him to play when they meet up next. I'd call it progress.

The show's ratings has expanded exponentially increased since all of this...:|

All publicity is good publicity? It's great to have a mainstream flow of disc golf chatter.

Yeah why is it bad? I mean people do think all disc golfers are pot heads and uneducated. Just because Robert makes a valient effort trying to change peoples minds on Facebook doesnt mean as a whole the imagine is going to change...

It Sucks but at the end of the day people just think we are out throwing frisbees... Which is pretty true.

This was the quote "What is mr Garabo's obsession with NAMBLA?"
the picture on the profile is a disc golfer so i thought that person might be here

Yeah why is it bad? I mean people do think all disc golfers are pot heads and uneducated. Just because Robert makes a valient effort trying to change peoples minds on Facebook doesnt mean as a whole the imagine is going to change...

I'm trying my best to sound as intelligent as possible when I'm commenting and also to not knock opinions – both are losing battles.

But the stereotypes our sport fights are killed when things like this happen. What if someone like a town councilmen or a city part official listens and hears that disc golfers are non-educated and living in their parents' basement and then someone wants to put a course in or run a tournament? That's a big problem.

In the end, we have caused our own issues. If people didn't smoke pot when they played disc golf, then we wouldn't have that image. If Allen Iverson didn't rap about raping women, then NBA players wouldn't be seen as thugs. Had Michael Irvin never done cocaine, then the Cowboys wouldn't be seen as fellons. Had Patrick Sherrill not shot 14 people in a post office, then the phrase "going postal" wouldn't have happened.

I truly believe for our sport to progress, we have to fight when these stereotypes come up. Luckily, we have researched facts – like the ones I posted on facebook – regarding income figures and education figures of PDGA members.

This whole thing has been great for Drew and his show. 24 hours ago many of us, including me, had no clue who he was. And even I, a HUGE sports talk radio listener / fan had heard about his show, I would no reason to listen. I don't care about Tampa area sports. But now, a guy up in Raleigh, NC is eagerly anticipating going home tonight and downloading the podcast from today's show.

But I truly believe we can make a win win out of this. And that's my goal now. Let's enhance the sport – get him involved in some sort of charity event. You know his station and other media would be there. We know he will fail at it and then he realizes the sport is tougher than he thought, a charity makes money, and we move on.

I'm trying my best to sound as intelligent as possible when I'm commenting and also to not knock opinions – both are losing battles.

But the stereotypes our sport fights are killed when things like this happen. What if someone like a town councilmen or a city part official listens and hears that disc golfers are non-educated and living in their parents' basement and then someone wants to put a course in or run a tournament? That's a big problem.

In the end, we have caused our own issues. If people didn't smoke pot when they played disc golf, then we wouldn't have that image. If Allen Iverson didn't rap about raping women, then NBA players wouldn't be seen as thugs. Had Michael Irvin never done cocaine, then the Cowboys wouldn't be seen as fellons. Had Patrick Sherrill not shot 14 people in a post office, then the phrase "going postal" wouldn't have happened.

I truly believe for our sport to progress, we have to fight when these stereotypes come up. Luckily, we have researched facts – like the ones I posted on facebook – regarding income figures and education figures of PDGA members.

This whole thing has been great for Drew and his show. 24 hours ago many of us, including me, had no clue who he was. And even I, a HUGE sports talk radio listener / fan had heard about his show, I would no reason to listen. I don't care about Tampa area sports. But now, a guy up in Raleigh, NC is eagerly anticipating going home tonight and downloading the podcast from today's show.

But I truly believe we can make a win win out of this. And that's my goal now. Let's enhance the sport – get him involved in some sort of charity event. You know his station and other media would be there. We know he will fail at it and then he realizes the sport is tougher than he thought, a charity makes money, and we move on.

Superb.. Really happy to have you as my State Rep! Thanks Robert

I didn't even know Drew was relevant enough to inspire a thread about him on DGCR. I'm pretty sure he stopped being funny in the early 2000's back when he was on the 7pm spot on 104.1 in Orlando. But I don't live in the area any more so what do I know.

can someone summarize the disc golf portion of the show?

I can't listed to it for another hour and I'm very interested to see if my post on his wall with about 70 likes was mentioned or not or the charity event was mentioned?