• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drinking while playing PDGA tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol I think that the group of people that "need to calm their nerves" by drinking every time they play aren't pumped that disc golf is changing.

I can't wait until it's not considered a "stoner sport". I'd like to not consider it that, except every time I play people are getting drunk in the park (at like 10am) and taking rips off their pipes and yelling "mutherf**ker at the top of their lungs everytime they throw a bad shot (which is most of them).

If you can't play your round without drinking a beer, then I strongly urge you to take a good look at what's going on. We all have addictions. But drinking can be pretty destructive for everyone.

Honestly everytime I tell people what I play and where they're always like "oh so you smoke weed?" "why are they always so drunk?"

the fact that this is even this long of a discussion is mind boggling. You know what all the alcoholics I've known say when they also can't do things without beer? "it's just a few beers man I'm not trying to get drunk". Ya I know man, you're just calming your nerves. Substance abuse takes the same vernacular regardless of which vice you choose.

Just take a quick break for one day for the tourney man. Just one day. You can do it!

Thank you. Honestly guys, this isn't that complicated.

I'm 100% fascinated that some of you guys try to argue that players should be allowed to drink during PDGA events. It's absolutely the most absurd thing I've ever heard.

That's one of the more hyperbolic things I've ever heard.

Don't play tournaments if you don't like the rules. I would rather not play in a tournament with a bunch of drunks.

so funny that people dont understand the difference between a drink or two and acting belligerent

so what kinda shell are you living under? its always an interesting survey :)

maybe people are realizing that the pdga has stupid rules and doesnt do much to aid the sport and the formation of a new organization would change everything for the better?

ill never buy a pdga number. buy a member ship? might as well "join" a church lolz

you guys should do some research into prohibition and why it started and who wanted it. this country has a horrible stance on alcohol and drugs and guess what the result is? extreme use and abuse. i know people who judge me for drinking a craft beer with breakfast, and then go out on friday and saturday night and drink until they throw up. it makes no sense.

Wouldn't the definition of "misconduct", in this case, be inherently the same as a player's misconduct? And drinking alcohol during a tournament is considered misconduct...so wouldn't one naturally arrive at the conclusion that what doesn't fly for the player doesn't fly for the caddie?

Idk, I could just be ASSuming things again. ;)

If it were, then 3.5B would be completely redundant to 3.5c.

OP, do what I do to my caddies when they want to imbibe - pull out a driver and crush it into his skull a few times. Make sure to use an understable disc. If you need to calm your nerves, have him return the favor. Perfectly within PDGA rules and he will be buzzing for free all weekend long. Heck, one of my former caddy's is still buzzing from a tourney back in '87.

Now I'm off to find a thread on things that can be done to make the mainstream take disc golf seriously.

you guys should do some research into prohibition and why it started and who wanted it. this country has a horrible stance on alcohol and drugs and guess what the result is? extreme use and abuse. i know people who judge me for drinking a craft beer with breakfast, and then go out on friday and saturday night and drink until they throw up. it makes no sense.

This has nothing to do with our country's stance on alcohol, and it's silly of you to make that comparison.

I love craft beer, and I drink it fairly often. The difference is that I know how to keep that and sports separate.

You guys remember that this is a sport right? Or at least that some people would like it to be seriously considered as one? Name another respectable sport where players regularly drink while playing at the competitive level. Tons of people drink while playing Ball Golf, Ultimate, and I'm sure tons of other sports (and Ultimate is at least as disrespected as Disc Golf). The difference is between the people who play those sports casually and those who play competitively.

If you want to play a round of disc golf and have a few (or a bunch) of beers, fine. I really don't care, nor would I judge. But if you're playing a tournament and complaining that can't drink while doing so, you have mixed up priorities.

Name another respectable sport where players regularly drink while playing at the competitive level.

You lost me right there with the completely subjective word 'respectable'. Any answer to your question can be denied merit simply by saying you do not respect such a sport.

During my tourney event I had no substance other than Gatorade. But I played with respectable adults. And some smoked a little bit when we waited on a Teepad, others had a couple beers. It was really no distraction at all for anyone. I totally respect the rule. And me personally...would like to stay as clear as I can when competing. I'll love to have a drink or 2-3 at the end of the day, for sure, then maybe play a practice/fun round. But If a guy on my card had a caddy that had a few drinks and was still being respectful and a good guy, I would have no problem what-so-ever. If some people want to be a stickler for the rules, thats fine, I'd ask my card before the round even began if they were cool or not. And respect those responses. I honestly think that is totally fair.

I may ask the caddy for a beer though at a break point......

having a few during a gorgeous day of disc does NOT make you a belligerent a-hole. I really think some people are way too uptight..

ALSO, I have encountered roudy annoying drunks on the course....maybe 0.05% of the time. Majority its good casuals that have respect and if they drink or smoke, do so in a very respectful manner and are just enjoying the day......so I feel bad for those here that think it's such a disgrace....you just met the wrong people I guess. To each their own....just don't be a jerk and have respect and we're good

Guess what, more f the man attitudes. Play by the rules in a tournament or don't play in it.

Or, try and change the rule by doing something other than bitching about a rule you can easily get around.

This thread might make me quit coming back to the general side of this forum.

You know, I don't understand why everything has to involve alcohol these days. Nor anyone whose enjoyment of an activity is somehow diminished once you remove booze from the equation. I would say that if you're at odds with the concept of being asked to stay dry for a couple of hours in a tournament, it says more about you than it does about the sport.

You know, I don't understand why everything has to involve alcohol these days. Nor anyone whose enjoyment of an activity is somehow diminished once you remove booze from the equation. I would say that if you're at odds with the concept of being asked to stay dry for a couple of hours in a tournament, it says more about you than it does about the sport.

THESE DAYS? this country was founded on beer. dont be brainwashed.

Well there you go...nobody had mentioned 3.5 B yet, had they? That's the only one that ties caddie misconduct to player misconduct. (3.5 C doesn't tie them at all.)
Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa. A thousand apologies. Do you think you'll ever, possibly, maybe be able to maybe, possibly, ever find it in your heart to forgive me? I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep or keep down solid food unless I know for sure that you have absolved me. Thank you.

Having had the misfortune of playing in an unsanctioned tournament this past weekend where beer was made available to the players and having not one, but two of my afternoon round card mates, who are normally nice guys, turn into tipsy douchebags with each cold one they imbibed, up to the point where they has to be asked two or three times to take scores, and simply quit following proper rules, I completely see the reason why the PDGA insists upon a no alcohol rule.

I think this is going on long lol.

If you can't play DG to play DG than don't. As stated a bunch already, don't join the PDGA and don't come make those events worse.
Regardless of your stance on the topic, I feel as though it's best not to waste a part of a decent thread just to try call people out right? What is this like 8 pages long of the same thing?

Meh, toss it in the landfill already.

OP has had his question answered and been provided with plenty of solutions. Now it's just disc Golfer on disc Golfer hate.

I read the one post about the player being DQ' for his caddies conduct up above but how many instances has this really been an issue? I'm sure some of the stories would be quite comical to read.

I think this is going on long lol.

If you can't play DG to play DG than don't. As stated a bunch already, don't join the PDGA and don't come make those events worse.
Regardless of your stance on the topic, I feel as though it's best not to waste a part of a decent thread just to try call people out right? What is this like 8 pages long of the same thing?

Meh, toss it in the landfill already.

OP has had his question answered and been provided with plenty of solutions. Now it's just disc Golfer on disc Golfer hate.

2 pages. Change your settings.

I read the one post about the player being DQ' for his caddies conduct up above but how many instances has this really been an issue? I'm sure some of the stories would be quite comical to read.

I too would like to read these stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts