• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drinking while playing PDGA tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are people seeing in the rulebook that you can't drink no matter what?

Possession of alcohol from the start of play until the player's scorecard is submitted. Such possession shall result in immediate disqualification at PDGA events sanctioned at B-Tier or higher. The Tournament Director may, at his sole discretion, elect to issue a warning to the offending player in lieu of disqualification solely at PDGA events sanctioned at C-tier and below. If a player has been previously issued a warning for alcohol possession at the same event, all subsequent violations shall result in immediate disqualification.

This says that you are only disqualified immediately at B-tiers or higher. At a C-tier it is up to the TD, so I would ask him first. He may allow it.

so funny that people dont understand the difference between a drink or two and acting belligerent

so what kinda shell are you living under? its always an interesting survey :)

Yeah, and its the belligerent *******s that have ruined it for you.

This says that you are only disqualified immediately at B-tiers or higher. At a C-tier it is up to the TD, so I would ask him first. He may allow it.

You may want to re-read that. It's always against the rules to possess or imbibe alcohol during play at a PDGA event. There are no exceptions and no authority is granted to the TD to suspend that rule for his event (at least not without a waiver from the PDGA which is unlikely to come). At a C-tier, the TD only has the discretion to initially warn a player rather than immediately disqualifying him for the violation.

It seems commonplace for people to read that as the TD having the ability to allow it, but it really doesn't say that at all.

I don't read this being a rule that is at the TD's discretion in terms of alcohol usage. It only states that the TD MIGHT not automatically DQ a player after a warning has been issued. Once said warning IS issued an automatic DQ would commence.

I don't see how it could be read any other way.:confused:

Geez, this is sounding like the thread about having dogs on the course....

"I enjoy a beer and can handle it"/"My dog is great on the course"
"I don't see anything wrong with someone having a drink as long as they are under control"/"I don't see anything wrong with a dog on the course as long as it is under control"
"I played with people who were drunk and it sucked"/"I played with someone with an out of control dog and it sucked"
And of course the always popular "You have a different opinion than me which means you are dumb"

While the arguments are similar there is an important distinction. Drinking at sanctioned events is a rule of the association that runs the tournament - pretty much black and white and there should be no debate about the right answer under the current rules. With the dog thing, while there are some leash laws it is more a rule of society discussion, which is more reasonable to debate.

Why don't we just combine the two and have a thread about bringing your dog to a tournament to caddy for you and pull a wagon full of discs and beer? Now that's something I'd like to see...

Geez, this is sounding like the thread about having dogs on the course....

"I enjoy a beer and can handle it"/"My dog is great on the course"
"I don't see anything wrong with someone having a drink as long as they are under control"/"I don't see anything wrong with a dog on the course as long as it is under control"
"I played with people who were drunk and it sucked"/"I played with someone with an out of control dog and it sucked"
And of course the always popular "You have a different opinion than me which means you are dumb"

While the arguments are similar there is an important distinction. Drinking at sanctioned events is a rule of the association that runs the tournament - pretty much black and white and there should be no debate about the right answer under the current rules. With the dog thing, while there are some leash laws it is more a rule of society discussion, which is more reasonable to debate.

Why don't we just combine the two and have a thread about bringing your dog to a tournament to caddy for you and pull a wagon full of discs and beer? Now that's something I'd like to see...

Well, it wasn't sanctioned and it wasn't pulling a wagon, but I have seen a guy at a smaller event have one of those vest/strap things on his dog for carrying stuff and it had discs and beer. Mans best friend all the way. LOL

OP- don't, just don't. Fill that cooler with water during the round, it will be a lot more beneficial to you than your alcohol. Save the (probably crappy) beer for after the tourney.

Even my softball league bans alcohol on the bench. Every team drinks their share in the parking lot before and after the games, but beers on the bench are prohibited.

It's really not a difficult concept. Alcohol doesn't belong in organized competition. By prohibiting it, you raise the level of competition and set certain expectations for general behavior.

Sure, some players will ignore that rule and will sneak a few. But they do so knowing how they're expected to behave and are more likely to drink responsibly.

samuel-jackson-beer-o.gif

idk too all the people bitching about people having a beer, it depresses your brain activity. i would be more for the people on your card having beer. gives you a better chance of winning.

and when i play in tournies i enjoy drinking before, and i finished first in the last 2/3 tournies i played in

idk too all the people bitching about people having a beer, it depresses your brain activity. i would be more for the people on your card having beer. gives you a better chance of winning.

Well, there's always the buffalo theory...

TheBUFFALOTHEORYasexplainedbyCliffClavintoNormPetersononCHEERS.jpg

a little self-control from a lot more people would be awwwwwwesome.

It's not like sanctioned tournaments are the only way to play disc golf. If you want to drink while playing you have many other options. If you don't like all of the rules of sanctioned play, then don't play in tournaments with those rules.

You're free to try to convince the PDGA to change that rule, but you'll be fighting an uphill battle. There's little chance it will change. There's no good reason for them not to ban alcohol, but many good reasons to ban alcohol. This type of rule is very common in organized sports (and many other situations), so it's not like the PDGA is doing anything out of the ordinary. If it's really no big deal to have a beer or two, then it won't matter if you can't do it, right?

It's not like sanctioned tournaments are the only way to play disc golf. If you want to drink while playing you have many other options. If you don't like all of the rules of sanctioned play, then don't play in tournaments with those rules.

You're free to try to convince the PDGA to change that rule, but you'll be fighting an uphill battle. There's little chance it will change. There's no good reason for them not to ban alcohol, but many good reasons to ban alcohol. This type of rule is very common in organized sports (and many other situations), so it's not like the PDGA is doing anything out of the ordinary. If it's really no big deal to have a beer or two, then it won't matter if you can't do it, right?

I've been amazed for a while on these forums how many times this needs pointed out to people complaining about rules. They act like someone is trying to force them to play a certain way during their casual rounds when it's always about tournament rounds.

To the people who do this, you look very, very foolish.
No one on these forums have ever tried to change anyone's casual round rules.

I've been amazed for a while on these forums how many times this needs pointed out to people complaining about rules. They act like someone is trying to force them to play a certain way during their casual rounds when it's always about tournament rounds.

To the people who do this, you look very, very foolish.
No one on these forums have ever tried to change anyone's casual round rules.

To be fair actually several posters on DGCR have mentioned confronting people even physically threatening them if they think they are drinking or toking in a park without any kind of tournament going on.

It's not like sanctioned tournaments are the only way to play disc golf. If you want to drink while playing you have many other options. If you don't like all of the rules of sanctioned play, then don't play in tournaments with those rules. You're free to try to convince the PDGA to change that rule, but you'll be fighting an uphill battle. There's little chance it will change. There's no good reason for them not to ban alcohol, but many good reasons to ban alcohol. This type of rule is very common in organized sports (and many other situations), so it's not like the PDGA is doing anything out of the ordinary. If it's really no big deal to have a beer or two, then it won't matter if you can't do it, right?

---or play non-PDGA-sanctioned tournaments where it's allowed----or even, heaven forbid, run some non-sanctioned events and allow beer, under whatever restrictions or lack of them you wish.

Geezus kee-rist, it's a tournament. Leave the alcohol in the parking lot for a few hours. Trust me, I love drinking while playing casual rounds, but that's with my buddies, and we're all doing it.

Your card would rather you didn't drink. You can drink before, during lunch, and after the rounds. It's an organized, competitive environment...and usually in a public place. Is it really THAT tough to not drink during a tournament round?

It'd be like an A ball pitcher having a Milwaukee's Best sitting behind him on the mound. Sound ridiculous? That's because it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts