• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Drivers: Do you prefer plastic to be on the stiff or soft end?

Putting putter: Firm but not rock hard
Upshot putter: Soft and gummy
Mids: The gummier the better-I use a beat XT roc, 2 G* Rocs, and a Z GLO FLX Drone
Fairways: Soft and gummy for understable to stable and firm but not rock hard for overstable
Drivers: floppy G* for understable/roller and firm G* and/or firm but not rock hard Star for stable/overstable
I also carry a G* Firebird that is gummy as hell and magical for my goto flick disc.

I love me some soft/gummy plastic for everything but overstable fairways/drivers and my putter putter.

Plasma is rght in the sweet spot for me. they have flex but aren't too soft or floppy. The Volt and Amp in Plasma are great and have serious d.

If you like the Ion in plasma you will love the drivers.

I agree with this, plasma is awesome. But I think the overmold helps add stiffness, which I like.

I don't care too much about the firmness of the blend, but I prefer medium levels of grip. If the plastic gets too grippy it just hooks up to my ring finger causing me to shank throw after throw. My technique is that bad

I prefer something on the softer side, but not approaching gstar soft. My favorite would probably be opto/lucid amount of give. Although this is a champ style plastic, it has more flexibility than even jolly launcher (which I also like, just not quite as much). Any champ or star style with generally that amount of flex. And I completely agree about the grip comment. There is a very fine line between being too slick and coming out early and being too grippy and grip locking into a tree. I am sure none of this is because of my form, which is of course perfect, so it has to be the plastic right?

I actually do think the grippiness of a disc can be a problem for those with slower arm speed. We are told to not release the disc but let it rip free, but if you are not throwing at 400+ speed consistently, I think the disc doesn't want to rip free as much, and grip pressure is much more of a fine line that needs top be walked.

I actually do think the grippiness of a disc can be a problem for those with slower arm speed. We are told to not release the disc but let it rip free, but if you are not throwing at 400+ speed consistently, I think the disc doesn't want to rip free as much, and grip pressure is much more of a fine line that needs top be walked.

I tend to agree with this. Bought a G* Roc3 last fall for cold weather play and fell in love with it. This year when the warm weather came, I started grip locking it. So I put it away and went back to the KC Pro for the summer.

Plasma is rght in the sweet spot for me. they have flex but aren't too soft or floppy. The Volt and Amp in Plasma are great and have serious d.

If you like the Ion in plasma you will love the drivers.

This. The only thing better than Plasma is the Fission they used for the Photon. Plasma is an excellent premium plastic for drivers.

I like drivers stiff for most stable and softer for less stable. Doesn't apply to mids and putters though.

I've found myself using mostly innova champion plastic or the equivalent for other manufacturers, aside from putters and I fell in love with the Vibram Unlace at a tourney yesterday (part of the player's pack)

For drivers, I prefer to have a stiffer plastic blend. Having a floppy disc really feels weird, and I think affects my release. However, stiff and slick are two different things. I don't find Champion to be that slick, but the recent translucent Opto blend from Lat64 is pretty slick. However, their more opaque Opto is the perfect blend of stiffness and grip for me.

I like every disc to be a bit on the softer side. I don't like mids through drivers as soft as my putters though.

G* is just a hair softer than I like...the G* discs on the stiffer end of the spectrum feel good. If you've handled the Axiom Fireball/Wrath/Insanity, that is exactly what I want every disc in my bag to feel like besides putters. Plasma is really nice too, just a bit softer than Neutron and Proton but not quite like a soft proton putter.

I get a better grip with a disc if there's a bit of give in the flight plate. The only thing I prefer regular Neutron / Proton / Champ style plastic for is a roller. One of the reasons I still bag a Proton Envy instead of all softs.

I tend to find that the farther the distance the more firm I prefer. So for Max distance I usually like champion type plastic because it just releases well for me. Star like plastics tend to be a little too grippy still and I tend to not have as smooth of a release.

I typically go soft and grippy flight plate like G* or cryztal FLX (if I can get it). If I don't dig into the flight plate I lose accuracy quick.

FH I definitely prefer something more on the stiff side. BH I prefer a little give to the flight plate.

A soft plastic will not penetrate the air as well. It will grip well but flex a lot more as you add velocity to the disc. Proabably not a factor for a beginner.

If your trying to penetrate wind, throw far etc., then the most stiff plastic you can grip is ideal.

Currently I'm digging the biofuzion plastic from Dynamic Disc. Grippable and has some stiffness to it. Now that it is warm Opto is great too. But it was hard to hold on to a few months ago.

Again weather dependent for me. But the stiffer the better is what I try to fly by.

DX/base line plastics offer a good mix of grip and stiffness. Downside they tear up quite quickly. Otherwise I wouldn't buy anthing else.

Last edited:
I always seem to jive well with slightly soft champion plastic. Not super stiff runs, but not super gummy either. The current run of 12x champ teebirds feel really good to me.

A soft plastic will not penetrate the air as well. It will grip well but flex a lot more as you add velocity to the disc. Proabably not a factor for a beginner.

If your trying to penetrate wind, throw far etc., then the most stiff plastic you can grip is ideal.

Got some knowledge to drop on us? Centrifugal force should keep any plastic rigid in flight, I'd think. Golf balls that are softer fly further. More flex = longer lever prior to flight.

2 years ago I would have said softer. Since then Gstar has completely changed the definition of soft drivers, so now I say stiff. Stiff plastic tends to be more Overstable. It also changed a bit because I rarely have to play in cold weather any more. Some my star plastic in the bag now would be unthrowable for a big part of the year back in the midwest

Got some knowledge to drop on us? Centrifugal force should keep any plastic rigid in flight, I'd think. Golf balls that are softer fly further. More flex = longer lever prior to flight.

If you find some decent slow motion disc golf footage you can see pretty clearly that discs flex during flight. If you see someone with a big enough arm throwing really soft discs you can actually see it with the naked eye.