• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Driving putters.

I have a wedge, I just think that I haven't quite gotten down how to throw it yet.

I usually throw it flat for natural anny's, or hyzer flip it for a late right turn (RHBH). Gotta love a 3.5 speed....really fills that gap I was looking for between 3 and 4.

Wizard felt good driving.
What's the best plastic and firmness for driving with wizards*
For those who throw em

I've used the pure, wizard, judge--still my putting putter--and aviars, but the Ion wins the day for me.

You can drive with any putter. I use a Jokeri/Pure/Magic combo. The first two in premium for durability. I also putt with the Magic but its by short turnover disc too.

For those who throw em

I like Softs, they have just a bit of give in the flight plate, but are grippy, and only get more grip the more they beat in.

I like Softs, they have just a bit of give in the flight plate, but are grippy, and only get more grip the more they beat in.

I've switched to the Ion as my driving putter, but I personally liked Medium Wizards for driving. Until the Ion came out , I had Wizards in the bag for drives since 2004.

For those who throw em

i use soft wizards, as hard as i can find'em, or my organic wizards - lots of pretty stiff organics out there too. my organics have more HSS and LSS than my other wizards for some reason, which i like.

there is a recent run of blue softs i've come across a few different places; they are hard and slick but they start getting a little tacky once you use them a bit; perfect for driving. i've got one that now has enough tack to make me confident using it for putting too, which is encouraging since i will be cycling these. the thing i like about these softs is (judging by how they feel now, anyway) i don't see how these could ever clover too badly or get finger indents over time.

i should probably go snatch what's left of them from GGGT. :p

Picked up another one of my favorite driving putters today, Fuzion Judge. Wizards make great one mold putters that you can putt or drive with too. Same plastic even usually. I think the Judge and Pure are great as well for that but I prefer them both in the premium plastic for driving and base for putting.

now that i have some time with pures under my belt
i should drag a HPP wiz back out and give it another try

I have been on a driving putter quest again lately

I love my pures, both opto and hard, and i also carry a zone
(either esp or cryztal)
but i have been looking for something in between those two molds, with not much luck.

I gave my wizards and a few others a try again, but I have decided, I just dont like deep and/or beaded discs, as i have a hard time getting a clean release.

today i found the envy, so far its perfect.:thmbup:

I use the XD, Classic Roc, and Zone. US/Straight/OS - I can also forehand and overhand the Zone.

As others have said any putter is a driving putter. I would suggest using the same mold and using a premium plastic off the tee. (btw the aviar drivar is a different mold than the p&a) I putt with a dx aviar and use a champ for windy shots and drives. I will use a new dx for drives durring rounds and practice untill it breaks in enough to fly like my "putting" putters. That being said I do drive with my most broken in putters as well in tailwinds and on hyzerflips. To me the ideal setup is to have one mold in a spectrum of stabilities with the premium plastic being the stable bookend disc.

I'm shocked no one has mentioned the Nova yet. This sucker is money. It'll hold any line you put it on and is dead straight. I'm loving it and getting quite a reaction from people when they see this silly looking disc get out to 300'.

For those who throw em

ALL Varieties.
I like Softs for my overstable/most tee shots. They're a tick more stable and feel a lot like KC pro plastic. They also wear in nicely.

I LOVE RFF for touch shots & turnover drives. They feel like a wizard but they clover up quick which I enjoy. The thumb indent ions make for great grip points on smooth approaches. They also turn over quicker than a normal wiz so angled anny approaches are buttery smooth.

All in all, I've never met a wizard that didn't like a tee shot.

i handpick the sort of chalky feeling softs that have a matte surface for putting - i used to use them for driving too and they were great in all weather. lately, around me, anyway, i've seen them in pink and yellow. they're great. hard enough to boss the chains around and grippy enough to grab them too. i drove with them until the cookie shaved off a huge section of the bead on one of mine.

there are lots of different kinds of wizards, but i myself would never drive with anything less than a soft for regular driving duty. for my short finesse drives, less skip and all approaches i use a ss-sss organic. for heavy driving duty i use the "soft" organics that are actually really hard. there are also some great softs that start off pretty stiff and smooth but break in to have solid driving grip. i did not enjoy driving with RFF because the rim sorta flexed and weaseled its way out of my hand in the rain but obviously they stick better.

Latest posts