• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Driving Putters

I just have to mention the JK Aviar~X. I've thrown DX, Star, Champion and KC pro Aviars, Wizards, none drive as well as the JK in my humble opinion.

Other putters, especially overstable ones like Rhynos, VPs, Zones, etc, drive well but have too much fade.

I have seen the P2 mentioned a few times, and I'd recommend it as well. I have one in the G line plastic and I love it. The grip is fantastic and it has great hss with little fade.

i appreciate it!

i will say i've been throwing my metallic copper envy more and more lately, incredibly solid disc. i guess i got over the fact that it isnt a mvp zone.

Yeah I guess when I got an Anode I was expecting it to be more neutral/understable, but it can have a fade at the end like a worn in Wizard if not thrown with tons of spin on it.

The difference I find between a beat in Wizard an an Anode, is that the Anode has 0 turn at all and I find that it holds lines way moreso. The Wizard will be more "forgiving" in a way because it will flip up a little bit as it wears, whereas the Anode just holds mellow lines even when thrown very hard.

So it's similar flight paths but one acts like a fresher stable disc and the other acts as a more forgiving worn one.

I think this is a result of the premium vs baseline plastic differences more than anything. anodes are much more durable than almost any wizard blend (unless you are using a premium wiz but doesn't sound like it)

i appreciate it!

i will say i've been throwing my metallic copper envy more and more lately, incredibly solid disc. i guess i got over the fact that it isnt a mvp zone.

I look at it like the Rhyno / Aviar combo you see a lot of players carry. One is more shallow, does better in the wind, skips more, is easier to flick for approaches and throw short hyzers off the tee with, while the other has deeper dome, more glide, holds an anny better, is easier to shape lines with and holds straight with less power.

I'd still love a Zone competitor from them, but the Envy is solid. I realized over the weekend though that I needed a more neutral approach putter to pair with my Envys. Tossed a fresh Eclipse Ion back in my bag and I've been loving it for upshots. Holds a slight anny flick or BH better than my Soft N Envy I've been trying to season.

I'd recommend a Wizard, a BB Aviar or an Ion (since the OP seems to like MVP). I prefer to have a driving putter that is straight with a slight but consistent fade. These three molds all share that quality. Baseline plastic Aviars & Wizards are also great if you like cycling.

somebody needs to sell this guy an envy. I just threw mine and it is simply a birdie maker. the flight from 50-250 is the same for me, dead straight. i highly recommend the axiom envy, and the guys selling them on this forum. also i cant believe more people don't putt with them. seems like they glide faster to the chains with same throw that would normally just die short with other putters.

I love throwing putters and you really can't go wrong with any of them. Magnets, Aviars, Magics, Wizards, Ions, Anodes, Envies, PA4s, Judges, Pures: they are all good.

I used to throw Wizards and switched to Ions years ago, in the hopes that I could start a cycle one day in the distant future. Well the future is now and I am absolutely loving my Ion cycle. I've got a beat one for turnovers, hyzer flips, short annys, etc., and a worked in one that still flies fresh for long straight shots, powered down hyzers, long annys, etc. It is great! Before I had the cycle going, I threw Anodes and Ions, but when my Ion seasoned enough to do the job, I dropped the Anode and only throw Ions. It took about 2 years of steady play (5 times a week usually, throughout the year) to ge there, but it's worth the wait.

I have to give a shout out to the Envy too. I've never thrown a disc that's so overstable with as much glide as it has.

all right, i have been throwing max weight or close to in all discs, any chance i might gain a little distance/ glide if i went to like 165-170 with an envy over max weight?

I have a few 172+ envys and a 164 i use for circle putting. I can drive the 164 about 15' longer than the max weight but i also need to get it higher into the air.

I really like my evo wizard and my nova for drives. I have a gateway cheif on the way to try. Once I get it and use it, I will let y'all know what I think. Also thinking of maybe trying an Envy.

Just want to give another shot out to the Envy. The Neutron beats in fairly quickly to a unique disc: straight for days but can handle power and requires no angle manipulation to be later straight. The Proton beats in very slowly. So slowly that I didn't even realize it WAS beating in until I threw my fresh Watermelon the other day.

It's also got amazing distance potential for a putter. I played a one disc round yesterday with it and finished with a bogey - free 3 under par. Very pleased with this disc.

I'm looking to get a driving putter and was wondering if theres a consensus go to? I have a dart in dx now that I'm using for it, and was thinking of trying that in star or champion? any suggestions appreciated

The dart is a weird but awesome "putter". I can use it for dog legs (left or right) in the 250ft range by putting nice anny or hyzer on hit and it will hold it, but also has the ability to go 250-280ft dead straight when you snap it.

Honestly I didn't like the dart at first, but practicing and now bagging/playing with a discraft comet taught me how to throw a dart properly. After the comet field work, I fell back in love with the dart.

Dart, meh...

^how DARE you! the weird part about the dart is when I throw it, it feels like its going 2mph to its target (even during spin putting), but the guys i'm playing with will remark on how fast the disc is.

i'm going with a neutron envy, another dart in r-pro plastic.

I say go with the G-Star Dart. I bought a factory second (and also have the champ Dart) but the G-Star is grippy, a tiny bit floppy in the plate, but also so durable. I pair my putting darts (in DX) with my G-star for my approaches.

With its ability to be straight or hold nice anny/hyzer lines my favorite thing to use my G-star Dart is with escape shots through the tight trees and layups onto difficult places (such as a hole on top of 8ft tall jagged boulder that would normally chew up other discs).

of all the discs molds that I use right now, the one disc that I would immediately go to the store and buy at full retail price after a round if I lost it is my G-Star Dart.

So I took out my Nova, Wizard, and brand new cheif today. I gotta say that the cheif is going to be my driving putter. With its shallow rim it is very easy to get a good grip, be it power, fork, or fan. The thing honestly out flies both the others by a good 20 feet. I came so close to an ace today on a hole that continuously tortures me every round I play. I have stuck one in the side of the basket once and hit chains and metal a number of times. The cheif will get that ace.

Opto Pure if I want a little turn. Sinus for straight reliable flight.

Latest posts