• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Driving Putters

I think this is a result of the premium vs baseline plastic differences more than anything. anodes are much more durable than almost any wizard blend (unless you are using a premium wiz but doesn't sound like it)

More durable? Maybe, but Evo Wizards are pretty tough too. I like how many blends of Wizards there are. Can an MVP putter hit and stick like an RFF or SSSS Wizard? No. Does an a MVP have as much grip when wet as an Eraser or Chalky Wizard? Hell no. Does MVP carry the putters below 160? Nope. When it comes to versatility, Wizards are in a league of their own.....staring Tom Hanks

More durable? Maybe, but Evo Wizards are pretty tough too. I like how many blends of Wizards there are. Can an MVP putter hit and stick like an RFF or SSSS Wizard? No. Does an a MVP have as much grip when wet as an Eraser or Chalky Wizard? Hell no. Does MVP carry the putters below 160? Nope. When it comes to versatility, Wizards are in a league of their own.....staring Tom Hanks

way to go super off topic :clap:

You sir, just won DGCR.

While grip and weight can be contended, I'd have to argue that MVP's discs do a great job of sticking where you want them to if you know how to work them. The overmold does an incredible job of reducing skips if you throw them with a good amount of hyzer angle, so that when they land they hit the overmold. This is a very distinct advantage they have over other premium plastic discs.

I'd imagine we'll see 150 class putters from them at some point, considering their current ones go to the low 160's, the the new molds are being released in the 150's.

This is coming from a long time Wizard fan mind you :)

For me personally:

DGA Breaker - for torque laden rips

DX Polecat - for finesse

MVP Ion - best all-around driver

RE: Dart; I have a buddy that absolutely slays putts with a DX Dart but he rarely drives with it. With its pointy shape and Goblin origin you'd think it would be the other way around, good driver but goofy putter. :\

Darts are beasts off the tee. I've thrown a few R Pros for 400' that went dead straight with a tiny fade. The flight reminds me of a slightly faster Ion really.

Anyone with experience driving the Nova? Is the Innova overmold too hard on the grip to rip off a tee?

After spending time with Wizards, Warlocks, Ions, Anodes, Pures, and Yetis, I have settled on the Clutch. Icon Clutch (stable with some fade) for most putter drives and approaches, with a seasoned Grip Clutch (neutral) for no-fade drives and a Zone for crazy overstable stuff.

Clutch is long, controllable, shallow enough for a reasonably clean FH release, cuts through the wind nicely, and is also a fantastic putting putter. I have not felt the urge to check out new putters for quite a while.

Anyone with experience driving the Nova? Is the Innova overmold too hard on the grip to rip off a tee?

I've tested the Nova.

The flight is pretty solid. It lacks the high speed stability of any of MVP / Axiom's putter offering, but it does have very good glide. For me, it would fill the role of a beat Anode, offering easy to throw straight shots at 200' an under, and turnovers that don't fight back past that.

The issue I had with the Nova was the deep rim combined with the super tacky overmold, as well as the nubs. The nubs on the bottom are easy enough to avoid by adjusting my grip, but I'm spoiled by MVP's discs where I never, ever have to think about that. If you're going to imitate another idea, you should improve upon it IMO.

The deep rim + super tacky overmold gave me severe issues off the tee until I adjusted to the disc. My final conclusion was that while the Nova has a nice flight, the inconsistency I experience with the grip means I never considered bagging it.

Everyone's hands are different, but that was my experience with it.

I did find it ironic that Dave D. claimed in an interview that the overmold was not worth pursuing, then 1.5-2 years later Innova releases the Atlas and Nova.

I think this is a result of the premium vs baseline plastic differences more than anything. anodes are much more durable than almost any wizard blend (unless you are using a premium wiz but doesn't sound like it)

Yeah it is a SS Wizard that is beat that I am comparing the neutron Anode to. At first being used to the Wizard for so long the Anode was shockingly stable (straight stable at speed). Now that I have been using the Anode a lot it is just so pure for holding release angle and trustworthy. The Wizard I can feel a "forgiving" flip to it...but now that I am used to the unrelenting hold of release angle, the Anode is amazing.

And I haven't been one of the people experiencing whatever chain/bounce-outs "happen", so I really love it. The Wizard is a great putter and I am nearly as happy with either...but I think I like the longer consistency of premium plastic, increased HSS, and what feels like easier distance potential. I was initially concerned with the faster speed of the Anode, but I haven't had problems with ranging it now that I am used to it. Great disc for how I play. I will continue to bag the Wizard as well for damp conditions since that's where premium plastic is no fun!

Last edited:
Yeah it is a SS Wizard that is beat that I am comparing the neutron Anode to. the Anode is amazing.

And I haven't been one of the people experiencing whatever chain/bounce-outs "happen", so I really love it.

yeah, that's just a myth....:p MVP putters stick great' nice to hear!

I love the Dagger for all my putt, approach, and driving. It doesn't take much to get it going, the glide takes over but being a big bead putter has a nice fade at the end. It is a deep dish putter, but if that doesn't bother you and you have good form, you may find yourself outdriving the basket on shorter holes....I wonder if it will ever get made in a premium plastic....even if it were to be Recycled, I would love that.

Pure was a complete game changer for me. I have an Opto and Recycled GL that I interchange for driving. The distance to power input ratio is amazing on this disc! Its an easy 300'. The glide makes it overlap with US mids. It literally holds any line very well. I have struggled to bond with any of the most popular putter molds (wizards, aviars, ions,). I could never get the distance with those that I can with a Pure. At times, it can actually be too long. It takes good control over your power to reign it in. It has pretty much pushed the Meteor out of my bag, and overtaken my approach slot. I also use a Zero hard inside the circle. It has taken strokes of my game for sure. IMO its hard to say that of many discs. 90% of the time its the archer, not the arrow. But this disc in a class of its own.

I putt with a DX Dart and my driving putter is a Star Dart. I was Driving with a Lat64 opto Pure for awhile, but for me the Dart is just a little more consistent.

Latest posts