• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving SF > KC mid-Sept

bazillion

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Hiya -

I will be driving from the SF area to Kansas City, starting out probably on the 12th or 13th. I have to be in KC on Sunday 9/16 at the latest, so it's gonna be a fast trip.

On the way, I'd like to play one or two courses. Driving ~10 hours a day, I probably won't have time for more than that. I'm thinking of playing one of the SLC courses and possibly Cottonmill (Kearney NE) or Roper (Lincoln), both of which look right on my route.

So. Any recommendations for SLC? I've never played there and at this point don't know what time of day it'll be that I roll into town. I may well choose to drive mainly at night so as to maximize DG time, I don't know.

And how about current conditions in Nebraska? Any tips where to go? I'm basically a noodle arm so I tend to like technical courses more than wide-open fields.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

I'm basically in the middle of this drive right now. Raining in SLC. I'd play a course in Tahoe before this area, pick one you can't go wrong. I'm guessing you won't have the time for Solitude (make the time, it's worth it), takes up much of a day. If you're getting here mid afternoon, creekside is going to be crowded, but is really only the city course worth playing. Valley regional is a blah course, but might be a better choice if you're in a hurry to avoid crowds (I guess they could both be just as crowded, I don't have much experience with either I've heard good things about the courses south of here, but unless you're heading down to the 80 (awesome CO courses?), they will be out of the way.

Nebraska, make the drive up to Omaha and play Hummel. No,? Ok, play cottonmill, can't personally speak for the conditions, but it's a fine park course, wouldn't expect it to be in rough shape unless there's construction going on or something. Can't speak for Roper, maybe I'll go check that one out in a bit.