• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving w/o flip

Jedi-D85

Bogey Member
Okay. I know alot of people are constant screamers for the flip over. I for one have never really loved doing this shot. I can never find the right angle to hit along with the wrist curl at the end of my motion. I was out practicing yesterday, and mind you I have always used the more straight flying distance drivers, and I was using a baseball feild to really judge my ditstance.
I cleared the drives over the center field fence which is 300' with another 15 feet past it. I am just wondering if there is anyone else on here who is a straight thrower, backhand and forearm that can give me any tips for more distance on top of this.

I think the first order of business is to ask which discs you're throwing specifically.

XS 170 that is at the end of it's life and a (I know alot hate it, but I love it) Champion Groove 172g. I am mainly using the Groove now, but have a 165 Pro Wraith I am trying to use for the flip technique but it's not working very well.

Go get something Blizzard.

A 130ish Wraith or Katana should hyzer flip easily and get you the extra distance you're looking for.

In straight throws and hyzer flips, the disc is doing the same thing, just on a different axis. If you prefer a flat throw, that's fine, but as you progress you'll need to use more stable/overstable discs to keep them from turning over with your increased power. Or...start to hyzer flip the same discs. It's not an absolute, but you can usually get more distance from hyzer flips. The guys with real cannon arms can hyzer some very stable discs...that's impressive. Also, at some point if you really want more distance, you're going to need to increase the height of the throw and add some angles. Flat throws will only go so far before they reach a limit...that's when height will give the disc extra time in the air and add some meters.

So do what works for your preferences and pick a disc that matches. As far as increasing distance, that's all form and practice, lots of threads and stickies for that.

personally i like to use a slight flex shot for distance and accuracy. i use a PD but at that distance you could probably use a champ tbird or something in that area. basically you're throwing the shot with a tad bit of anny but close to flat, you'll have to figure it out with your discs. the disc should go out and be moving right before the stability kicks in and starts to bring it back. you need a disc that's stable enough to come out of it though to make it work.

1 : disc has little to do with it, unless you are just throwing putters.

2 : there is a limit to how far a straight or a hyzer shot will go. If you want to break it, you have to start working with either hyzer flip shots or huge s-shots. They give you ( guesstimate ) at least 20% more distance.

How high do your straigth drives fly ?

So did anyone actually read my original post on here, or did you just say what ever you felt like.

For my distance I did say it was over the fence which is 300' with 15 feet past that.

I own a buzzz but why would i use that to get past 315'?

I understand that hyzer flipping can go farther...but that wasn't my question as to how to do that.

My height on the drives now is probably around 30-40 feet at max clearance.

If you don't have a tip on a straight drive....please don't respond. I'm working on getting the flip down, but I haven't gotten it to a point where it is consistent.

The reason for using a buzz at that distance is the straight flight. High speed drivers are going to have more movement simply because they have a higher optimum flying speed. As the disc slows down it is going to fade (different amounts according to discs of course). But a midrange/fairway driver won't move as much because they have a less amount of flying time at too low of speeds.
Unfortunately for you, throwing neutral drivers (leopard, river) and midrange (think buzz or beat roc) straight for long distances is just as touchy as hitting hyzer flip angles correctly. It is all going to come down to mechanics and the proper disc selection.

So let me get this straight...you're throwing the Groove, the Xs and the Wraith all out to about 315'? Just for my knowledge...how old are you, how long have you been playing and are you male or female? Knowing this will help me figure out what I can do to assist you in your quest for additional distance. Let's start there for now. Also, what midranges and fairway drivers do you use or have at your disposal?

So did anyone actually read my original post on here, or did you just say what ever you felt like.

For my distance I did say it was over the fence which is 300' with 15 feet past that.

I understand that hyzer flipping can go farther...but that wasn't my question as to how to do that.

If you don't have a tip on a straight drive....please don't respond. I'm working on getting the flip down, but I haven't gotten it to a point where it is consistent.

Wow dude. You actually got some good information here, you just don't seem to realize it. Pretty crappy reply, imho. First thing you should start with, if your flat throws are going 30'-40' high, is to get the nose angle down. You won't ever get farther with nose angle issues. Good luck!

Okay. I know alot of people are constant screamers for the flip over. I for one have never really loved doing this shot. I can never find the right angle to hit along with the wrist curl at the end of my motion.

It sounds like you want to learn how to throw a better hyzer flip as opposed to an anhyzer for more distance, is that correct?

If so, from the limited information you have provided...you simply need more snap.

Check out the Technique Sticky for links to the hammer pound and right pec drill.

The discing down adventures link may also be helpful to you in this situation. I have been on a discing down adventure of my own for quite some time. I am finally getting my rocs close to the 300' mark. My collection of overstable drivers including destroyers, katanas and bosses has been collecting dust for a while. I'll get them back in the bag one of these days! As a family man with a full time job and a baby at home, it's not easy to get any field practice time anymore. :wall:

You are throwing 30-40' high and getting 315'? It sounds like you need to work on snap and nose down.

Without a video of your form it's hard to determine what you specifically can do in order to achieve more distance with a flat throw. The general consensus around here is that you need to practice to achieve more distance. They hyzer flip is a valuable shot to learn, it can help you when throwing into a headwind or just with trying to power up a mid or putter to achieve a straighter shot with less fade.

You could work on the hammer pound and Dan Beto work from the hit back drills. These can help you to gain distance and consistency.

You could also try to experiment with slower discs like teebirds and eagles instead of the wraith's and groove's these are easier to control and get up to their required cruising speed.

There's a good thread linked in the technique sticky called "maxing out at 300" you may find useful information contained within. The basic jist is that the average male can strong arm a disc about 300 ft farther than that requires using your core strength to propel the disc.

There are many things that could be 'wrong' with your throw that are causing you to plateau at 315' There's not 1 thing that will for sure give you extra distance with a flat throw.

personally i like to use a slight flex shot for distance and accuracy. i use a PD but at that distance you could probably use a champ tbird or something in that area. basically you're throwing the shot with a tad bit of anny but close to flat, you'll have to figure it out with your discs. the disc should go out and be moving right before the stability kicks in and starts to bring it back. you need a disc that's stable enough to come out of it though to make it work.

This. Once you have decent form, finding the proper discs for your power is the key. My Champ Destroyer is now broken in just enough that I can flex it barely, but my beat Wraith (which I bought at the same time) is just right.

I run thie drive up to around 30 foot usually I have the begining angle off to my right a few degrees, on a flat plane it send them halfway between 12 and 1 o'clock. I let the high speed glide take on it's normal slight turn right. But with the high glide on my discs the sit flat and straight and start to break as they speed down at the end.
I've been throwing over ten years, 26 male. And no I'm not looking for flip tips right now, as I know what i need to do for that, I just don't have much time to go practice with full time work and college and married, hence the reason for my annoyance with the replies saying to get a disc to flip, and thow a buzzz.
I usually leave my Wraith for shorter range shots around 220-250. I use my groove and xs for 300+

You throw your wraith for 220-250' shots? When do you throw mids and fairway drivers?

Latest posts