• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving w/o flip

MY throw...VIDEO ON MY THROW! :wall: :wall: :wall: I am not talking about anything else.

You posted a video of your throw in this thread so that we could find a video for you showing the "proper" way to throw the same type of shot? I'm sorry, I guess I missed that post. :eek:

My bad homie. :(

This just gets better and better. I think we all use to be this way in our first months of dg. We want to get better fast but don't really take advice well. Being stand-offish in here will get you nowhere fast and you'll never progress.

:p

If he hasn't learned how to turn a disc over after 10 years it's hopeless for him.

Grip is ridiculously important for distance. I think most people here are telling you something very important. You have to hyzer-flip in order to get the most out of your distance or your disc will fade out. Try working with your power grip and going with more understable discs in order to increase distance. Even if it doesn't start helping you to hyzer flip you should be able to gain distance by simply gaining snap out of your hand. By staying with overstable discs you don't give your disc enough chance to max out turn before the fade begins if you don't have proper form.

It depends on where your distance is being lost at. Get a full flight out of your disc. You could try a disc with better glide. A TL is a perfect disc for very long straight shots, because it has very little turn or fade, so it takes very little height to get distance, but too much height doesn't kill the distance as much as more overstable discs.

As a general rule, when throwing straight shots, OS are better for low shots, US are better for high shots.

I think working with slower, more stable discs might help you. It helped me.

Obviously, better form and more snap will help. Not worth mentioning, so shame on me :thmbdown:

Last edited:
You have to hyzer-flip in order to get the most out of your distance or your disc will fade out.

Patently false. Not all discs will hyzer flip. Let's go play in 40+ mph headwinds and see how much distance your hyzer-flips get.

Let's go play in 40+ mph headwinds and see how much distance your hyzer-flips get.[/QUOTE]

Poor example; how often do you have a 40mph headwind.

Let's go play in 40+ mph headwinds and see how much distance your hyzer-flips get.
You throw anhyzers into 40mph headwinds?

I agree that you don't need a hyzer flip to get big D. AFAIK there have been plenty of 600'+ throws that were distance anhyzers.

I really wanted to see dudes form

His outfit was far more impressive than his form. White shoes, white shorts, white sleeveless t-shirt, and white headband. I think the head band may have actually been one of the sleeves he cut off his shirt. Looked like a tiny power ranger.

Last edited:
XS 170 that is at the end of it's life and a (I know alot hate it, but I love it) Champion Groove 172g. I am mainly using the Groove now, but have a 165 Pro Wraith I am trying to use for the flip technique but it's not working very well.

All of these discs are flippy, h flip discs.
Why have so many folks said hes throwing overstable??

...also, many people do release hyzer into strong h winds to give their line some extra fight to ride the wind.

If the op is intent on throwing flat he could go two ways:
Throw faster, flippy molds or faster, more stable molds.

Last edited:
So did anyone actually read my original post on here, or did you just say what ever you felt like.

For my distance I did say it was over the fence which is 300' with 15 feet past that.

I own a buzzz but why would i use that to get past 315'?

I understand that hyzer flipping can go farther...but that wasn't my question as to how to do that.

My height on the drives now is probably around 30-40 feet at max clearance.

If you don't have a tip on a straight drive....please don't respond. I'm working on getting the flip down, but I haven't gotten it to a point where it is consistent.

What exactly do you want to know? If you like driving straight then go for it. If you want to drive further all you need is better timing and snap, not a new disc or throwing style. I've seen Buzzes driven for 400' in a straight line by people with decent snap. Just work on your timing and try driving the buzz some.

I don't like my discs to turn much either but prefer a nice straight shot. I choose discs with alot of high speed stability but not much low speed fade (Aviars, Buzzzs, TeeBirds, Destroyers). To get more distance try this: When you get on the teepad just do what you always do but add two things and really concentrate on them. In fact say them over and over as you are throwing. Fast footwork and late acceleration. These two things will automatically add 50' to anyones drive.

Let's go play in 40+ mph headwinds and see how much distance your hyzer-flips get.

Poor example; how often do you have a 40mph headwind.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't be a bad example even if I'd never played in one.
I've probably played 10 rounds this year with 30+. Probably 5 or so got to 40+. You can probably double that if you count gusts.

You throw anhyzers into 40mph headwinds?

I agree that you don't need a hyzer flip to get big D. AFAIK there have been plenty of 600'+ throws that were distance anhyzers.

Hyzer, flat, or anhyzers. It's unusual that there's a straight headwind, so the crosswind plays a large part in what shot I throw.

Jedi, I don't think the groove is a good club for straight shots. I also LOVE my groove. But more so for its ultra predictable overstabilaty. But I have to either judge how much fade it will have, or throw a huge flex shot. If your only throwing your big clubs that far then maybe you should go get a leopard. It will go 300 and go much straighter than the groove. I've never used your other disc so I have nothing to say about it.

Patently false. Not all discs will hyzer flip. Let's go play in 40+ mph headwinds and see how much distance your hyzer-flips get.

In heavy wind situations I throw an Xcalibur almost exclusively backhand. The disc will still hyzer flip and gain distance. What makes you assume that I need to throw an understable disc to hyzer flip? This guy must use understable since according to himself he's not worried about form. Just my .02.

Wind changes everything about how we throw. Given a vacuum you have to try to give advise for the more likely situations not 40 MPH winds...