• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving with a midrange or putter...why?

I had the same problem with throwing midrange flicks, until someone gave me a Gateway Warrior. It is very stable but behaves more like a midrange- more glide and straighter flight paths. The Warrior has a really shallow lip that is curved on the inside, making it really comfy for a flick too. And a champ rhyno or esp zone are good for even shorter flicks.

I like throwing my mids and putters off the tee when I need to absolutely go straight. My Buzz thrown flat, my Comet hyzer flipped or my Wizard thrown flat all go VERY straight with little to no fade. As long as the hole in within 300', my drivers usually stay in the bag. I am much more prone to shank a drive with a driver in my hand than one of my mids.

"I drive RHSA and I can't sidearm a midrange."

It takes some practice but it is very doable and very beneficial to learn.

I would reccomend that you take some putters and start off by using only your wrist(that's why its commonly called a flick:). Keep your elbow as still as possible and about 6-8" off of your hip. Try to really isolate just the wrist motion and work on snapping them out there. If it seems awkward and abnormal at first, that is perfectly natural. It is an acquired feel for most of us. Just keep at it untill you can flick an aviar/banger/wizzard/whatever at least 75-100'. Distance is less important than the flight of the disc. You want to get to the point where there is virtually no wobble and the putters fly relatively straight. You can then incorporate the forward movement of your forearm--just a little straight ahead poke with the wrist snap near the end. Putters are the purest form of feedback among dg discs in my opnion. They simply can't mask poor form like overstable mids and drivers. Flicking putters requires a major emphasis on wrist snap, clean release and fluid motion--the same building blocks for any successful FH throw.

I just got a zone for short drives and approaches. I decided to fiddle around with throwing it forehand, man that thing is amazing. Very versatile disc.

Yeah man, it really can handle the torque of a good flick. And I think the shallow rim is more comfy than a rhyno, but I am emotionally attached to my champ rhynos (first ace disc) and I recently acquired 3 more.

The Innova pig is also an excellent short FH putt and approach disc.....this Hybrid has the ryno top, which a lot like because of the "thumbtrac" on the top, and the gator rim, which is much more stable than a ryno. What is also very nice is that the pig in pro <and r-pro> USUALLY sets right down once it lands.

Latest posts