• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving With A Putter

DiscologyGus

Par Member
I have been looking for a video or thread on here that helps to break down and simplify driving with a putter and getting a nice smooth release with no wobble or OAT out of the hand... Is there a video/thread for this? Am I just missing it?

this one was on the first page, i'm sure there are plenty more

the Technique sticky thread has tons of great links, to articles, videos, and forum discussions

Mike C is one of the main posters in that thread. It's easy to find videos of him throw putters really far, though I don't recall hearing him (or anyone else) give a run down. In short, I think a lot of us run into issues because we're still sorting out our grip. At least for me, I had problems driving with most putters (and Comets) just because I hadn't figured out grip both in terms of comfort and alignment. Other than that, I don't think there's much difference between throwing putters or anything else.

If you're turning and burning putters try playing catch with one that's slow and neutral from about 100'. When you're throwing cleanly, step back to 150'. Once you're throwing them cleanly at that distance, start throwing them off the tee. I suggested catch because it's a lot less frustrating than throwing stacks, gathering them all, and repeating. Plus, your friend gets to clean up their form too.

If you're turning and burning putters try playing catch with one that's slow and neutral from about 100'. When you're throwing cleanly, step back to 150'. Once you're throwing them cleanly at that distance, start throwing them off the tee. I suggested catch because it's a lot less frustrating than throwing stacks, gathering them all, and repeating. Plus, your friend gets to clean up their form too.

Now I need to find a friend... sad day... haha ;-)

Mike C is one of the main posters in that thread. It's easy to find videos of him throw putters really far, though I don't recall hearing him (or anyone else) give a run down. In short, I think a lot of us run into issues because we're still sorting out our grip. At least for me, I had problems driving with most putters (and Comets) just because I hadn't figured out grip both in terms of comfort and alignment. Other than that, I don't think there's much difference between throwing putters or anything else.

Yeah, That's what I'm struggling with too.. I am looking for a video that shows the optimal grip and technique for driving with putters.. but I'm struggling to locate any..

Its no different vs other discs. I power grip just like mids/drivers. Just "pinch" the flight plate with thumb dont pull the rim into the hand with finger tips and create multiple release points.

Its no different vs other discs. I power grip just like mids/drivers. Just "pinch" the flight plate with thumb dont pull the rim into the hand with finger tips and create multiple release points.

Pinch with the thumb and index finger? Okay, that makes sense.. I think the multiple release points is whats causing the wobble out of the hand..

Index/middle doesnt really matter. Same with fan vs power grips all about leveraging the outside rim across from the grip point like the head of a hammer.

Yeah, That's what I'm struggling with too.. I am looking for a video that shows the optimal grip and technique for driving with putters.. but I'm struggling to locate any..

For me, it was improving my grip on fairways and drivers that actually helped my putters. Maybe the plain old grip videos could help? The other thing is that grip is really a "feel" thing. So we can talk about it all day here, but you just have to get out and throw until something clicks. I don't know how to explain what clicked, but something did. I'm still not one of those "throw putters on any hole under 250'" guys, but it helped with mids and approach shots as well.

Honestly I'd recommend messing around with your grip. I had problems driving with putters using a power grip. I'm much more successful now using a "fork grip". I get a lot more touch on shorter shots with the fork grip. I'd also recommended being slow & smooth when you drive with putters (all your drives for that matter).

3586726217_0b0ee4806d_m.jpg

Play putter only rounds. At first, they are frustrating, but after I while I grew to love them and play putter rounds all the time now. You will eventually learn to get that putter to fly any way you want it so it's actually not too hard to still put up some decent scores on your local courses with just a putter.

My putter of choice is the classic Aviar p&a in gstar and I use a fan grip.

Honestly I'd recommend messing around with your grip. I had problems driving with putters using a power grip. I'm much more successful now using a "fork grip". I get a lot more touch on shorter shots with the fork grip. I'd also recommended being slow & smooth when you drive with putters (all your drives for that matter).

3586726217_0b0ee4806d_m.jpg

Is this the fork grip here? I thought it was more pronounced, like the two middle fingers were closer to the center of the disc which is really uncomfortable for me.. but this way feels much better..

When I throw putters, the pinch is more through the rim than the flight plate. Same way with drivers, though . . .

I actually changed my grip to make that the case based on someone's putter throwing advice. Garublador, maybe. I can't remember exactly what the advice was.

Backhand and forehand my grip and throwing motion is exactly the same as any other disc.

My first year of playing a friend suggested I try driving putters on short holes.

I had trouble gripping KC Aviars off the tee. I went to a disc shop and handled different putters, and came away with a Rhyno that worked a lot better.

So that's something you could try, finding something that fits your grip better. For me its the low profile that made the biggest difference. These days I drive the Proxy / Envy combo, both are low profile like Rhynos. If I try to drive something deep, like an Innova Nova, I have less consistency.

my grip for driving putters has been index and pinky tucked. i was just doing putting field work with a friend and he was turning a lot of them over and getting some wobble. he was also rounding a lot, once he started a clean pull through they were immensely better

Play putter only rounds. At first, they are frustrating, but after I while I grew to love them and play putter rounds all the time now. You will eventually learn to get that putter to fly any way you want it so it's actually not too hard to still put up some decent scores on your local courses with just a putter.

Agree with Master. I did this just today. Amazing what 18 holes (I did 36 holes) of just putters can do for your game, grip, form, spin, approaches and...well...putting. LOL. Many things will work themselves out when tossing a putter for distance repeatedly. A familiar hole of, say, 350 feet, where you bomb the drive at 300 feet, leaving a 50 foot potential deuce putt, suddenly becomes a 225 foot putter tee shot, and then a 125 foot upshot. It's like playing a brand new course.

I'm always astounded at how dogmatic most players are with having to play the tired, old home course the exact same way for the hundredth time. But, that's a subject for another thread. LOL.