• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving with Putters

attik34

Birdie Member
What is everyones favorite putter to drive with and why? What does it fly like? What should I expect out of it?

I'm looking at buying a new putter specifically for precision type drives that I need to go super straight and really flat... I have an Aviar I don really like throwing.... I also have Soft Magnet that I love throwing like mid range stuff at, but cant throw it hard at all because its so soft it feels wierd...Just looking for options and what people are using for this type of shot

Overstable Innova Putter
Overstable Discraft Putter
Vibram Putter
MVP Putter

4 pages of discussion in one post. There's no one answer, but typically overstable putters are better for driving because you can put more on it.

My favorite is a Grip Line Spike. Thrown flat it makes a very slow right turn. A little hyzer it's straight. I also have a soft Ion for when I can't afford to go right or need more fade at the end

If you like the magnet try a clutch in protege plastic which is stiff. Very straight neutral flight. It's slightly lower profile than the magnet which for me makes it easier to grip.

If you like the magnet try a clutch in protege plastic which is stiff. Very straight neutral flight. It's slightly lower profile than the magnet which for me makes it easier to grip.

You could also try a Titanic (ESP Magnet with a spacer) or simply try a regular, not soft, Pro D Magnet

love driving with my soft magnets... especially when you don't want any left fade at the end. Take yours out, put on as much hyzer angle as you can and let it rip hard. See what happens, kinda cool to mess around with different lines.

I like KC Aviars too when some stability is needed.

Rhyno and Pig - both overstable, they're my furthest flying putters. I also use them for downhill drives and uphill drives. Pig is a little longer than the Rhyno, but Rhyno lays down better than the pig. These are the main two putters I drive with.

Dart - straight flyer, I use it for tunnel drives mostly.

Aviar P&A - short drives. It just goes where I tell it to. Don't use this one much for driving unless I go to the short local park course.

I also carry around a Birdie for scrambling, you can throw that thing 50 feet straight up in the air and it just drops down with a thud. Comes in handy.

One of the byproducts of discing down is a lot more putters in my bag. Used to carry 2, now I carry 5 and I'm likely going to add an Ion soon.

Last edited:
The KC Pro Aviar is my main driving putter but I've just recently got into Ions and find them to be a phenomenal driving and approach putter as well. I've been using my soft Ion for about 3 months now and I play about 6-8 rounds a week on wooded courses and its the same flying disc as the day I bought it.

I don't drive putters often at all, but when I do, an Opaque Soft Ion, Hold straight and fades out to the right.

19744195.jpg

^^^ saw that coming. :p

Another vote for soft ion. If you emphasize the snap a bit more than usual, they go dead straight.

discraft
stable-overstable = challenger
stable-understable = magnet or beat challenger

innova
stable-overstable = bb aviar star, bb aviar kc, bb aviar dx
stable-understable = aviar P&A, yeti, p1, dart, sonic, aero, xd, wedge, or a beat bb aviar

my input for the two big companies

I actually like driving with a Polecat. It flies sooooo slow and is nails straight. I also love the Pure. My only ace is with a Grip Pure and I'm currently breaking in an Opto Pure. MVP's are nice too. I need to try the Anode.