• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DX Wolf opinions

giphy.gif

Ha ha. There is unintended irony here. :)

Your gif is running a bit slow. Citizen Kane is clapping considerably faster here. At real speed, he looks like a bit of a maniac who has lost all reason in regard to the object of his applause.

You have compared throwing away a DX Wolf to the performance of Miss Alexander/Kane, a pretty, but hopelessly incompetent amateur, who nevertheless has the leading role at the Kane Opera House. It was the view of the audience and all competent critics that she sullied a beautiful opera with her performance.

It's too bad they don't make the Optimizer anymore so we can't have an Optimizer VS Wolf thread. That would be fun, not sure which one would "win". The Optimizer had better glide if you could somehow manage not to turn and burn it, so I'm leaning Optimizer. We could have a Wolf VS whatever that mid is that comes with the Franklin basket, they would be pretty similar.

Everything else I can think of in that range is at least a tick more stable with better glide so IMO would easily be a better choice. Discs like Flying Squirrels and Tursas are such better flyers that it would be kinda insulting to compare them to a Wolf. Probably the best VS thread we could do would be the Wedge, and I still think the Wedge is clearly better.

So honestly, not trying to be a jerk or anything. The disc I think the Wolf is most comparable to is the Franklin mid range disc. I think the Wolf gets the nod over it because of a wider weight range and better plastic. So I must amend my previous statement, the Wolf is the SECOND most useless golf disc I've ever thrown; it slots in just above the Franklin Midrange and just below the Optimizer.

Oh, I forgot the Breeze. It was pretty uselessly flippy but again it had some glide if you could manage not to flip it. I think my bottom five midranges would be Breeze, Wedge, Optimizer, Wolf, and Franklin Sparrow.

Like I said in another thread, there are so many good midranges on the market that you can't possibly carry them all. The Aurora MS is my third-favorite mid and it never gets in my bag; it's stuck behind Rocs and Comets. The Panther is not even in my top 10 midranges and Panthers are awesome. With all of the great mids out there, I'm sure that anyone out there doing the "works for me" thing with a Wolf would find something that works better if they looked.

BUT...that's not the point. If somebody is already "works for me"ing with a Wolf that's fine. They should just keep being them, it's not hurting anybody. I mean, I think it probably hurts their scores but if they are happy it's all good. I don't care if they keep doing what they do. I just trash the Wolf so that a new player trying to decide what mid to try doesn't accidentally pass over the massive amount of really good midrange golf discs out there and end up throwing something that is slightly better than a Franklin Sparrow. :|

It's too bad they don't make the Optimizer anymore so we can't have an Optimizer VS Wolf thread.

My buddy has an ultimate background and throws killer rollers with the Optimizer. Gives it plenty of air, starts on hyzer, and rolls ridiculous distances when he gets it right.

My buddy has an ultimate background and throws killer rollers with the Optimizer. Gives it plenty of air, starts on hyzer, and rolls ridiculous distances when he gets it right.
I mean as an anecdotal comment that's fine, somebody rolls an Optimizer. That's cool. You can execute that shot with a beat-up (insert the name of any decent golf disc), though. He has the skill to throw that backhand roller; if he was taking that shot with a stable beat-to-turnover disc it would be more consistent and he would get it right more often. That he's choosing to do it with an Optimizer is probably hurting him more than it's helping him. If he's playing for the fun of it and he likes throwing it, more power to him. If he wanted to compete and improve, changing his backhand roller disc would be an easy place to start.

If somebody is already "works for me"ing with a Wolf that's fine. They should just keep being them, it's not hurting anybody. I mean, I think it probably hurts their scores but if they are happy it's all good. I don't care if they keep doing what they do. I just trash the Wolf so that a new player trying to decide what mid to try doesn't accidentally pass over the massive amount of really good midrange golf discs out there and end up throwing something that is slightly better than a Franklin Sparrow. :|

That's one reason I tried the Wolf and am making positive comments on it. I tried a Groove (which I found abandoned on my home course), and I agree with every single bad thing said about it. I tried the Wolf, and it's not THAT bad of a disc. Dunno if I'll bag it, but it's been fun to throw the past few days. My point was (and is) that one man's trash is another man's treasure, and to try a disc out for oneself before just believing all the hate for that disc. Yes, there may be better discs than the Wolf out there, but it's not the atrocity that the Groove is.

A side story: I was taking lessons from a chess International Master a couple of decades ago. I knew he hated the move 1.g4 (Grob's Opening), which chessplayers know is not the best first move. During one lesson he was saying "there are no bad opening moves, only bad chessplayers." I asked him "What about this?" and made the 1.g4 move.

He peered at it, blinked a couple of times, then said "That... is not a move!" We all laughed, but the point was made.

My point to relate it to DG... the Wolf and Groove are at least DG discs.

Franklin? "That... is not a DG disc." :sick: :gross:

I would choose a Wolf over a M5. At least with the Wolf, I know what it is going to do; turn and burn. The M5 is so nose angle sensitive and speed sensitive, I doubt anyone with 250' of power or more, can guess when and how much it is going to turn.

Someone should do a dye of die on a craps table on an M5.

...at least Prodigy's base line is better than DX

Last edited:
I mean as an anecdotal comment that's fine, somebody rolls an Optimizer. That's cool.

Yes 100% anecdotal. This guy also putts with a 10M Brick, so I am not advocating that everyone follow his example. :D

If he's playing for the fun of it and he likes throwing it, more power to him. If he wanted to compete and improve, changing his backhand roller disc would be an easy place to start.

We all play for *gasp* fun.

Oh, I forgot the Breeze. It was pretty uselessly flippy but again it had some glide if you could manage not to flip it. I think my bottom five midranges would be Breeze, Wedge, Optimizer, Wolf, and Franklin Sparrow.

Oh yeah the Breeze, I hated that disc. I would bag nothing but Breezes before I would bag a single Wolf. At least the Breeze would do a decent Aero impression if you babied it.

Inb4 Kite recommendations start.

Still better than the Wolf

Premium plastics were in the early stages when I first went to a store a Play it Again in Rapid City South Dakota that sold discs in mid 2004 and got all baseline discs or a Putter the G9i Wizard in a plastic that is like stiff KC Pro. I did not feel the premium plastic was worth it at the time as DX and Pro D were as stiff as Pro at the time. Understable is fine for slow midrange disc as I used a Stingray for years and would have worked fine if the wind over 5-7 mph did not easily affect the disc on anything other then tailwind, turn over was not what the disc did but rather it did an micro S shot that was something that I can do with my Valkyrie molds. A more consistent option is to take a faster super understable midrange or super slow fairway almost midrange disc and use that disc for the midrange turn over shot right from the beginning. If you want the turnover shot from a slow midrange disc, then get a faster putter that is super understable as then you can control the disc better in slow speeds during the approach shots and the very short midrange option.

...was in a barbershop quartet in Skokie, IL...

...my 172g DX Wolf ...few rounds ...contrary of the Haters of the Wolf, this disc is not bad. At all.

I just played a 9-hole with my new 180g Wolf.
not bad at all... but I like the Rhyno Thumtrac so I might be biased. Flew more overstable than the "-3" rating.
Don't get me wrong: it's not gonna kick out the Comets, Rocs, Buzzzes or your primary mid of choice.

It's kinda nice to have a disc that I don't care about. There are lots of cliffs, lakes, and poison ivy here in VA... I would have no problem walking away from a Wolf. I can't say the same about Comets or Rocs.

I dunno, maybe I'm just too easy.

I am a big fan of my DX Wolf. I think the haters can pound sand. Let's start with, I am a lower arm speed RHBH guy. I am thinking bigger arm guys might find the Wolf is just too finesse for them, lol.
I found my 163g wolf can do incredible flat throw anyhyzer turns "but no burns" at low&mid speeds that nothing else can do, it equals that of forehand meet hook as far as the left to right action. People ask how the disc turns so much at that mid range approach. At even lower speeds it will just hold straight as arrow throw, with "right" bias. It is also good for stretch out / patent pending throws where full speed release are hard, and under-stable disc will work better.

At my heavier 180 weight, I can put a more full flat throw and find it slight helix pattern let's me throw a straight line to the basket, with the slight turn right, then slight finish straight. I never been good at throwing putters consistently, and the wolf being smaller rimmed lets me throw a straight arrow shot, that many folks would us a putter on.

As with all under-stable discs, you will find not all of them will fly exactly the same, but given they are cheap, online less than 10 dollars per disc, I would suggest buying a few of them, and some will turn more than others.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of my DX Wolf. I think the haters can pound sand.
Agreed. The Wolf isn't in my bag, but it's one of my wife's favorite discs. It probably won't be in her bag forever, as she's getting more serious this year and is throwing a lot farther than in previous years, but it fills a niche for now. And if she doesn't have something beat in to take it's place by the time it does get squirrely on her, like you said, it's cheap. I'll just get a replacement.

I never really formed an opinion on the Wolf. I threw it for a few rounds but never felt one way or the other towards it...it was just kind of a 'meh' disc to me.

For a disc with so much advertised turn, it felt clunky and slow to me in flight...almost like I had to push it harder than I wanted in order to get the flight I was expecting out of it.